Sony VTX-D800U audio out to AV Amp ?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ndwall, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ndwall

ndwall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi folks. First post :hiya: and feel a bit of an idiot.

I've broken my VCR and previously used to channel the audio from the freeview through the VCR into my AMP, as I never used it for anything else I thought I'd bin it and connect my Sony VTX-D800U Freeview box directly into my Samsung AVR610 amp. Now according to the Sony manual it has a combined digital/analogue 3.5mm jack socket for audio out.

Well the Optical cable I have does not fit in it. Anyone else got round this problem, is it a simple case of buying a particular cable ?

Thanks for any advice or abuse, coz I feel aright numbty...

Nick

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi

The audio output on the Sony is optical only not analogue aswell

I have my Sony VTX-D800 connected via an optical toslink cable to my amp.

You need a toslink cable with a 3.5mm plug at one end to connect to the Sony & the standard squarish plug at the other to go into the amp.

Alternatively you can get a 3.5mm adapter plug. look here :

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search2/...ensearch_003&Ntt=toslink&Ntx=&_requestid=5286

Do a search for 'toslink' on this site & plenty of cables come up, some with the 3.5mm plug at one end, eg. Toslink to 3.5mm optical lead.

3. ndwall

ndwall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Excellent thanks for your help.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Just need to correct you on this and for the sake of anyone interested in the subject/Sony.

The 3.5mm jack provides analogue AND digital audio out. A mini toslink cable for Digital and a 3.5mm jack plug for analogue. A special converter plug can be purchased to insert into the Sony that will change the gender of the 3.5mm jack to two RCA type sockets for instant connection to an analogue line i/p on a amplifier.

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Obviously never read the instructions properly & just assumed that it was digital optical only because of the red light being visible.

If the jack acts for both digital & analogue then it's a bit like the 3.5mm inputs on some of Sony's portable MD recorders where the same input is both for a 3.5mm analogue plug as well as the toslink optical equivalent :)

6. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  7. Dikey

Dikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the optical cable to my headphone amp and the sound quality is excellent, but there is a weird glitch: when playing back files from my DVDR the video is near-perfect as usual but the sound track is not reproduced; instead the sound from the tuned-in TV channel is there instead! The analog cable is OK. This is my second VTX-D800 but unfortunately I didn't check the first one for this.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    If you want sound from your DVDR the optical cable must be connected to it...not the VTX-D800U.

9. Dikey

Dikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you; although there is a toslink audio output at the DVDR, I didn't try that. This would mean that only the player's audio would then be output to the headphone amp. And this still wouldn't solve the puzzle of why all ouputs via the analog portion of the composite analog/optical connection is OK, but not the optical output from the DVDR. The analog cable is OK.