1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY VTX 760U Obsolete Unsupported Product?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by malford, Jun 15, 2003.

1. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Please help,
    My Pace 2500 S3 box has just died 2 months out of warranty and my local Sat Dealer is asking £100 minimum set price plus postage to repair it.
    The fact is he only boxes them up and sends them away for repair ( probably to Pace)

My question is , is it worth getting this box repaired considering that you can get an Ex-contract 2500 box from eBay for as little as £75 with "Buy it Now" option.

He tried to sell me a new Pace mini box, When i told the guy in the satelite shop that i was interested in the Sony VTX 760U he went raving on about the fact that Sony stopped making them back in July and would not make any more as they fell out with Sky over the Digital Optical Output.
    He also said that no one would repair it if it ever broke down as they have minimal support.

The one thing i liked about the Sony is that it would sit well in my rack with my STR1080 and my NS905.

So should i go against his advice and buy an Ex Contract Sony from eBay for about £150 or go along with his £100 repair charge.

Or should i ring SKY and tell them to poke their subscription up their A%*e

Any replys gratefully recieved

Malcolm:)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    In reality a standard STB probably only costs around £100, sicne digiboxes have never been sold as a proper consumer retail product the prices quoted by SKY and dealers has always been artifically high.
    Contact PACE and ask them how much they charge to repair their own STB's or perhaps even Satcure who have a repair service.

SKY themselves charge £65 fixed fee repair service, one draw back is if they choose to replace the digibox you'll get whatever they have in the van which could be an older model:(

The PACE minibox has some advantages, it's very small but lacks RGB and audio output via dedicated phonos. Very useful for as a second digibox not so much as a main box supplying a modern TV.
    The SONY isn't made anymore and you'll have problems finding a brand new boxed example, well maybe not if you are willing to pay the extreme prices they have been advertised at in some stores but remember it is an old spec with modern digiboxes having faster menus. A SONY store is your best bet and they would have no problems repairing it should there ever be problems.

As for cancelling SKY, well that's for you to decide but if do cancel why not see what they will offer to keep you. Tell them you can't afford to repair the box and they may offer a cut price repair or even a free one.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you can dont rush Digi boxes go on here for £40-50 I would have a search and see who offers repairs their is bound to be several in the greater london area. You push sky for a new box or cancel and resubribe in your wifes name and go for the free box option. Or push for Sky+.