• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony vs Toshiba vs Panasonic 40-42"

Turu

Standard Member
I have been around looking for my next TV and cannot make up my mind.

As you will notice, I am no expert in this field and from what I can see there are many out there in this forum.

Main uses for the TV I am looking for include streaming videos in various formats of my Network Attached Storage (DLNA compliant) and watching TV (freeview).

Ideal size is 40/42"

My shortlisted sets are:

Sony KDL-40CX520 (€699)
BRAVIA engine

Toshiba 40TL838 (€799)
Active 3D, 200Hz

Panasonic TX-L42E30 (€829)
LED TV

Panasonic TX-P42G30 (€859)
Plasma TV

Toshiba 42VL863 (€999)
Passive 3D, includes 4 pairs of glasses, 400Hz

All of these sets support a wired network connection (enough for me) and offer a two year warranty, except for the Sony model that offers 3 years.

I understand TV prices are a bit on the high side in Malta. Although online suppliers advertise better prices, when one adds postage the difference is not so big.

Any advice you might want to pass on would be greatly appreciated. All these sets are within my budget, but I do not mind saving money :)

Best regards to all of you.

tut_gareth

I have spent some time looking for my next TV and I have looked at many. This year the Sony are the best LCD panels that I have seen, but for plasma its Panasonic all the way.

stevep94

First of all, figure out if you can live with a reflective screen and if not, discount the plasma!

Next, is 3D important? If it is you can discount the non-3D sets!

After that its all about reading the online reviews!

Best of luck!

Turu

Standard Member
stevep94 said:
First of all, figure out if you can live with a reflective screen and if not, discount the plasma!

Next, is 3D important? If it is you can discount the non-3D sets!

After that its all about reading the online reviews!

Best of luck!

Thanks for replies so far.

I do not really need 3d tv, but if it comes with the deal, I'll take it. I was initially inclined towards the toshiba vl range, but seeing so many good reviews of the panasonic model I started to doubt my choice.

I mostly use Tv to stream downloaded movies of a nas. Would you recommend a smart tv or an external media box?

..... By the way ... Are lg's any good ? (42lw450)

Cheers,

A

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Out of those the Panasonic plasma is the best option if your rooms not too bright.
Plasma has no viewing angle restrictions, no uniformity issue, no back light bleed, has lower lag, deeper and more detailed blacks, better motion handling, has a more natural look and gets you better PQ for the money.
LCD can go brighter, LED LCDs are thinner, cost less to run(though more to buy) and dont get IR.

Out of your list the Panasonic plasma is by far the best option IMO, though ideally you need to see for yourself with proper demos.

stevep94

Out of those the Panasonic plasma is the best option if your rooms not too bright.
Plasma has no viewing angle restrictions, no uniformity issue, no back light bleed, has lower lag, deeper and more detailed blacks, better motion handling, has a more natural look and gets you better PQ for the money.
LCD can go brighter, LED LCDs are thinner, cost less to run(though more to buy) and dont get IR.

Out of your list the Panasonic plasma is by far the best option IMO, though ideally you need to see for yourself with proper demos.

Fully agree with this post tbh - the picture on my ST30 is superb but I just cant live with the reflection which is why I'm swapping for the L42E30 LED model!

Turu

Standard Member
Thanks once again guys.

The plasma is out for the reasons you mention.

After going round to see the panels in action my choice went down to the following 4 options, all for approximately the same price. All models have all the ports I need and the same warranty period. They all support DLNA which is an important consideration for me.

- Toshiba 42VL863
42" - smaller screen
Passive 3D (better than active for my intended use)
Comes with 4 3D specs
Resolution+ makes watching sd tv channels more pleasant
400mhz

- Toshiba 46TL838
46" - larger screen
Active 3D - no specs supplied
TL series is inferior to VL series
200mhz

- Sony KDL 40NX700
40" - even smaller panel
No 3D
Better design
Bravia engine
It's a Sony

- Panasonic TX L42E30
42"
No 3D
Well reviewed

My first dilemma is "Should I sacrifice screen size to get a better quality panel with higher refresh rates?". Both sizes can be accommodated and viewing distance is around 2.3 m away from panel.

My second one is "What is better - a Toshiba with 3D capabilities or a Panasonic/Sony without 3D"? I have limited use for 3D at this point in time but increased adoption of the technology will mean more availability of content. My young kids seem to want 3D badly although I am not yet convinced it will be really used once we have it.

Once I sort out these dilemmas, it will be an obvious choice.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks once again guys.

The plasma is out for the reasons you mention.

After going round to see the panels in action my choice went down to the following 4 options, all for approximately the same price. All models have all the ports I need and the same warranty period. They all support DLNA which is an important consideration for me.

- Toshiba 42VL863
42" - smaller screen
Passive 3D (better than active for my intended use)
Chines with 4 3D specs
Resolution+ makes watching sd tv channels more pleasant
400mhz

- Toshiba 46TL838
46" - larger screen
Active 3D - no specs supplied
TL series is inferior to VL series
200mhz

- Sony KDL 40NX700
40" - even smaller panel
No 3D
Beyter design
Bravia engine
It's a Sony

- Panasonic TX L42E30
42"
No 3D
Well reviewed

My first dilemma is "Should I sacrifice screen size to get a better quality panel with higher refresh rates?". Both sizes can be accommodated and viewing distance is around 2.3 m away from panel.

My second one is "What is better - a Toshiba with 3D capabilities or a Panasonic/Sony without 3D"? I have limited use for 3D at this point in time but increased adoption of the technology will mean more availability of content. My young kids seem to want 3D badly although I am not yet convinced it will be really used once we have it.

Once I sort out these dilemmas, it will be an obvious choice.

I sit about 2.4 m from my set, the 42" was fine, 46" I have nows better, 40" too small IMO. Sony and Panasonic are the better sets IMO too, better makes for both 2D and 3D. Poor 3D really isnt worth having over good 2D. If you cant spend more on,a 3D set maybe hold off.

Turu

Standard Member
I sit about 2.4 m from my set, the 42" was fine, 46" I have nows better, 40" too small IMO. Sony and Panasonic are the better sets IMO too, better makes for both 2D and 3D. Poor 3D really isnt worth having over good 2D. If you cant spend more on,a 3D set maybe hold off.

Would you consider the Toshiba models poor, especially when it comes to 3D?

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom