1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vs. Sonix

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SeanT, Apr 15, 2005.

1. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Not sure if this is down to the legendary shop setup issue, but I saw a £1600 Sony 30 inch LCD today in Euronics, hooked up with an expensive looking SCART cable to a Sony DVD player. I assume from the fantastic images on the rear proj and conventional TVs in store that they had the sense to enable RGB. It was running one of those fancy picture demo discs, and my Sonix with Harman Kardon over component abosolutely walks all over it - I had to stick IRobot on through my Sonix when I got home to ensure that I wasn't just being overly critical in the shop and that my eyes weren't deceiving me :clap:
    Just gonna sit back smugly and watch some films now :thumbsup:

2. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Keep taking the tablets - Sonix versus Sony, and your Sonix wins - delusional is the word that comes to mind.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    On what basis do you make that judgement? Brand name? Price? Or actual experience?

From what I've seen (in the shop) and read (here) the Sonix is a damned good TV, made especially better by its price.

Whereas in my actual, and repeated, experience - most Sony electronics generally are pretty good, once you get them working right (which can often involve several exchanges and/or other "pain) and are generally over-priced compared to similarly-specified items from other manufacturers.

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I would buy any Sony product without even looking at it - reason 30 years of faultless flawless experience of buying their products - never ever had a fault with one of them. I would to a lesser extent maybe use the same yardstick for Panasonic. This takes me back to my other thread about the Brits having no conception of quality, but are simply price led. However, I don't want to visit that particular subject again as it has had an extensive airing. Suffice to say it is my unshakable belief that you "get what you pay for" in this life, it's as simple as that.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    As a general yardstick, that maxim works, I agree.

In the case in point, however, I suspect someone buying a 26 inch Sony LCD (in preference to the Sonix) is probably spending more than they need to.

In terms of Sony experience:

My first TV was an 18 inch Sony. It produced an excellent (by which I mean, better than anything similar) picture for something-teen years without fault. It cost 20% more than an equivalent from someone else. However the first set had a fault and was replaced. The second one was the one described above.

My second TV was a 27 inch Sony. Similar comments. However, it suffered from significant geometry errors which were eventually almost cured by the dealer.

My third TV was a 37 inch LCD RP TV. It is still producing reasonable images, although its innards need a good clean. My brother in law now owns it. However the first two sets supplied had serious faults and were replaced. The third set - the one now in use - was the subject of a long battle to get an intermittent fault fixed, which culminated in it being uplifted to their R&D place at Thatcham, where no fewer than FOUR faults were found and fixed. Later, it needed a new lamp driver board to fix a flickering.

The fourth set was going to be the same type as the third. Why I was going to get a new one is unimportant. What is important is that I took delivery of EIGHT sets, each replacing the last because of some fault until I eventually gave up trying and bought......

....A Sony projector, which continues to be pretty much flawless.

So you see, I do want to like Sony stuff. But I'm not as convinced as I was (or should be) that their QC is befitting of the premium prices they charge.

All of which is a long way of saying that, calling the OP "delusional", without any factual basis on which to judge his comments, is perhaps a little unjust.

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371

I said what I saw. Go and do the comparison yourself.

7. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have to agree with you there sean, I was watching the matrix revolutions in Fenwicks in newcastle a few weeks ago on the sony 30 incher via a sony dvd player over component prog scan and my sonix well and truly kicks its arse. It was not a set up issue as i messed around with the settings for a good 15 mins and nothing comes close. I bought the sonix not because of its price but because of the very positive reviews on here backed up by sainsburys great returns service. And if sonys current build quality is anything like the PS2 I would not touch them with a bargepole as I am now on my 4th console, and they are looked after very well. Although saying that my parents DVD recorder is still doing fine, touch wood.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thats just touching the surface. It would take a professional a good few hours using PC analysis tools and test screens to get a display right. A few tweaks here and there, by an amateur, especially without reference material could quite often make matters worse.

9. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say you've been very lucky.The only Sony t.v I owned had to be fixed within six months of purchase.It gave up the ghost for good before it was four years old,which is way short of what I would call a reasonable life expectancy(especially when used an average of 3 hours a day,not exactly "hammered").

10. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's you who needs the tablets.

I bought a 3k sony lcd year & a half ago,the picture was beyond poor,took it back for a refund a couple of days later, and now having sold my plasma have a samsung lcd which blows the sony away.

I have had lots of sony products in the past and been happy with them.
    but their lcds are poor & over priced.

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Which Samsung as a matter of interest, as I quite like the look of their panels, though I have been told that they are only 15.9?

12. thereserves

thereserves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A marketers dream... ;)

13. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thirty years trouble free buying experience - if that equates to a marketers dream then I'm with you all the way. Having said that I don't think any of my electrical items have ever broken down, or cars come to think of it - in fact touch wood, nothing I buy ever seems to break. I can only put that down to fastidious care.

14. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds like a sony fanboy to me :D

15. JayC

JayC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, sounds like both opinions are flavoured by a little too much product bias for my liking. Reality lies somewhere in between I feel.

Would those tablets you suggest taking, be the branded ones for £100 a pack or the unbranded for £10 a pack?

16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have at present only three Sony items so a Fan boy? I think not. Panasonic reign supreme in our house at present.

17. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I belong to the exclusive Harman Kardon club - although the old british manufacturers absolutely rock - hence the remainder of the setup... ;) Kef, Quad, Cyrus, even Arcam will kick Sony ass all day long - but the Sonix was the best LCD I could afford and I am as mentioned just saying literally what I see....
    Panasonic are great for VCRs, not sure about the rest....

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    They make a pretty mean DVD recorder as well. My DMR E30 is one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought - definitely a candidate for my Hall of Fame.

19. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick comment gents...
    I've had my Sony KLV32m1 for just over a week now and I have to say I'm not 100% blown away.
    The Sony always appeared to me to be far and away the best set up screen in every shop I viewed - however get it in my living room and it just didn't feel the same.
    Viewing distance seems to be the major issue. Show it right in the corner of the room and the PQ seems to be better - bring it a 1ft close and start rubbing your eyes in disbelief.
    I only went for the sony after far too long a wait for an ellusive toshiba and spotted one at a great price with a DVD recorder and free warranty. They caught me at a moment of weakness I'm afraid.
    I'm getting used to it now and have attempted to fiddle with the settings in order to improve things slightly and I have to say I'm 85% happy now.
    Maybe I'm just fussy as the picture is truly flawless on DVD via cheapo component and the PS2 looks very very good via my old crappy PS1 lead, but Cable TV looks a tad dissapointing at times.
    I have to admit though, after spending mega bucks on a TV though I was expecting the Wow factor to be a bit on the larger side. So not totally satisfied but it ain't going back so I guess I must be kinda hard to please really.