1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vs Philips vs Canon

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steroid, Apr 7, 2002.

1. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am from India where it is impossible to get good magazines with reviews. Leave alone reviews of LCD projectors.. but after viewing reviews on the net (which is about 5). and checking which ones are easily imported and affordable for me I have narrowed my choice down to these 3:

1) CANON LV-5100 (read only 1 review which said it was fab)

2) Sony VPL-HS1 (quite a few that say it is fine.... looks like something off a formula 1 car:D ).

3) Philips LC-4433 CSMART (Available in India, but is about 600 quid more than the other two..... saw a demo of this one and it was quite shabby).

No means of getting a demo of the other 2 unless I buy them.

Will do tricks for anybody who can give me any info... on these the Panasonic seems to be a hot favorite on the forum but if the difference is minimal I would like to have your opinion on these three specifically...

I don't mind if you haven't seen a demo and have just read a review or heard from someone... Plz let me know what you think...

From the review I read at What video & TV the Canon seems to be ahead of the others...

Thanks a ton for the help....

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think before anyone can really answer your question clearly we would need to know some of the following :

1) What will be your primary use for the projector?, i.e is it for DVD movie playback plus gaming with say the XBOX/GameCube/PS2?

2) How large is your room that you plan to have the projector in, there isn't really much point in buying a projector which has great visual quality in a small room when its very noisy!

3) How large will your screen be?, and can the room be fully darkened as India probably has good weather compared to the UK...though I have never been there. Also its a good idea to look into masking a 16:9 screen with velvet or black fabric so that films perceived contrast ration doubles imho what with the 4:3 projected light spill when watching 16:9 / 2.35:1 ratio films

4) Do you plan to have the projector ceiling mounted as some are easier to mount than others and some cannot be mounted.

5) Do you plan to connect the projector to a DVD consumer player (what type progressive?/interlaced etc) or do you plan to hook it up to a HTPC/HCPC ?.

www.Projectorcentral.com could probably tell you a bit more about each of the projectors and usually people comment on their experiences under 'user reviews'. Although Im sure anyone with these projectors will give their opinions although its sometimes very hard when most people have seen very few projectors 'in action'.

James

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm/go/hardware.view/product/310

I just read the Canon review and it seems it has a lamp life of 1000 hours, I personally would only buy a projector with a lamp life of 2000 hours or more.

Judging from http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,53026,00.asp it seems that Panasonic continue to deliver good image quality yet long bulb life, maybe its worth looking at the Panasonic AE100?.

Also some links

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/VideoProjectors/Canon/CanonLV-5100.shtml

http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_print.asp?GroupID=1708&ArticleID=1700

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc.../VideoProjectors/Sony/SonyCinezaVPL-HS1.shtml

I could'nt find an online review of the Philips but it seems to have a higher brightness than the other two (1000 lumens instead of 700) and a long bulb life than the Sony and most definitely the Canon.

James

James

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Steroid,
    The Canon (a clone of the well regarded Sanyo PLV30) and the Sony HS-1 are both designed for home cinema, so I would expect their video performance to be a little better than the Philips cSmart. However, from personal experience of the Sony I would expect our cSmart to give it a good run for its money.

cSmart is our long lamp life product designed for PC presentations. It would make a good choice for showing sports and TV in a games room where there is some ambient light. The Philips Monroe would be a better choice as a dedicated cinema projector. It has much better video processing than the cSmart.

I can't comment on prices in India, but in the UK the cSmart typically sells for a little over £1800 inc VAT.

Regards

5. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey jrwood and frost,

thanks for the info .......

Will essentially be using it for dvds hardly any TV either... The distance between the projector and screen (which is a white wall carefully finished) is about 12 feet ....

The screen (wall) is 8 feet by 4.5 feet hence 16:9 is probably the ratio.

Would panny ae100 be a wise choice???????

The noise might play havoc as I tend to prefer the dialogue and story based movies rather than the "guns blazing and dinosaurs thumping" movies. the room size is 13 feet by 20 feet and used only for cinema.

About the climate, I live in South India (Madras), where the weather is not good, it is sickeningly :mad: HOT and bright but light output is not as major a concern as my budget as I would most definetly be watching movies after sunset when I have an absolutely black room.

The projector does NOT neccesarily have to ceiling mont.

About the screen masking I don't think I will be able to pull it off....

I plan to hook it upto a Pioneer DVD-533k I don't think it is available outside Asia. And I don't think it is prog scan although it has bright markings on the box claiming it to have 540 horizontal lines :confused: ?????

These are the prices I am being offered :

Canon LV-5100 ---> £ 2285
    Sony VPL-HS1 ---> £ 2000
    Philips CSMART ---> £ 3150

The Monroe is not available in India yet......

What I am looking for is just performance... all the features are of no help at all.... Am not looking to spend more than £ 2200 So I guess even the csmart is no more.....

Went through the the review sites and am still not entirely sure...
    Thanks again for the info looking forward to a reply....

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for that kind of money I would definitely demo a unit your going to buy. I would try and demo the Panasonic AE100 as home theatre projectors are gradually picking up pace with the general public.

If noise bothers you then look for a projector with <32db noise, I'm like you and prefer films with substance rather than action. Although I must admit I do like the odd action film once in a while :). I noticed that you have a dedicated 'cinema room' so maybe you should look into a CRT projector aswell?.

I heard that Sanyo are bringing out the PLV70 soon so expect the PLV30 and PLV60 to drop in price pretty soon, they are both good projectors aswell.

James

7. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a ton James.......

Yes I think I should get a demo but since they are imported on order it becomes an impossibility......... Which is why this forum is the last word for me... I would make the purchase only on these suggestions............ Am probably gonna ask for the Panny.....

Yes it is a dedicated cinema room..... but no way can a CRT be afforded I just spent this truck load and another on the sound setup:D ... So CRT is more than the arms length away even though BARCO has setup shop in India...........

Are the Sanyo's as good or better than the Panny, 16:9 being a major criterion???????

Thanks again

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone just posted in the forum saying he has bought a Sanyo PLV30 - maybe someone can give the pro's and con's between this and the Panny AE100?

As with anything its very subjective, its like buying a car. If you had £50k to spend some would spend it on a sports car but if you actually look at the interior they can be very shabby sometimes!, when a nice jaguar would give you nice performance but a luxorious interior to boot!. Again its down to individual preference. Every projector has its pro's and con's, some people see rainbows/screendoor and others dont. Some people hate noisy fans, some people think their projector is crap at dark movies although to be honest this can be fixed with a grey screen. I have a sony with renowned low contrast and trust me viewing films like gladiator and pitch black etc look great now I have a grey screen.

James