1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vs Denon???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul_e, Oct 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. paul_e

paul_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much searching and patience I'd finally settled the argument and was opting for the Sony DB795.......then along come the new Denon's, the 1905 and the much cheaper Denon 2105. :suicide:

Are the Denon's MUCH better? Would it be worth spending that bit more for the 2105? Is What HiFi in cahoots with Denon? :confused:

The joys of spending hard earned cash!!!!!

Any help muchly appreciated :smashin:

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz 5500 or Denon 2105

Cheaper: Maratnz 4500 or denon 1905

3. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm also looking to buy my first A/V Receiver. I have a budget of £250 max, and don't yet have any speakers! (Although I'm very interested in the new Wharfedale Diamond 9 kit). I also have looked at both the Denon 1705 (C. £200) and the Sony 795 (c. £220), principally as a result of their tests in October's What HiFi.

Others I have seen include the Marantz SR4400 for £200, and the Yamaha 640RDS for £250.

I've noted others commenting that there is something of a compromise between stereo output from tuner / CD, and DVD output. My guess is that the system will be used 50:50, so both are equally important.

I'm not particularly interested in having the latest, hence the Yamaha which I understand has been around a little longer (and at a much higher price).

I know I should go and listen, but as there are so many other factors, I would certainly appreciate any comments / observations (even suggestions of other kit, but not too many, as I'm already having difficulty choosing).

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

4. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a tough choice but is your budget including speakers or not including? I'll assume not including. My choice would be the Denon 1905 as you have the ability to upgrade with more speakers if you want. Also it has a pretty good sound to it for its price. Year ago this would have been about £600 I knwo you might have to do some shopping around and make the stretch but it might be worth it in the long run.
    Otherwise go Sony strdb795.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    the Marantz sr5400 is also £200 at www.perettyson.co.uk

Very good musical amp. The Yamaha 640 is not very good in stereo so would ignore it in your choices.

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz sr5400 is £200??? :zonked:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep it's the one I'm going for too instead of the Sony :)

8. paul_e

paul_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So thats cleared that one up then ??? :rolleyes:

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Paul e you dont mention what your main interest int he amp is, movies or music as the Marantz is the better musical amp. If you need a 7.1 amp then you will still have to go with the sony or Denon as the 5400 is only 6.1

Is it possible you can go and DEMO any of the amps as that is the only real way of testing them to see if you like them before parting with your hard earned cash?

10. paul_e

paul_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dfour

I want the amp mainly for movies although it will be replacing an old stereo unit aswell; I just wanted to make sure I get the best one for my money. As this is my first a/v amp I'm sure all of them will sound great. I am currently in Aberdeen at the moment with a distinct lack of a/v outlets i.e. 1. and that sells high end equipment, way out of my price range. To also keep the price down I've bought the Tannoy FX5.1's for £149.00 from Peter Tyson so hopefully need an amp which will complement these; wasn't sure if it would be better to go for the Denon's for the crossover ability as the sub has none. I also wondered if it would be better paying the extra £100 or so more for the 2105, £336 from Unbeatable?

Cheers for the reply.

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85