1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vs. Denon vs. Pioneer. Advice req'd.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    hi,

currently I own a Sony STRDB870 amp which is nearing its second birthday. sounds great, driving the Mission M72 set and a REL quake.

However, I have a nice appraisal related bonus due from my employer soon, along with a back dated pay rise. Therefore, I may look to upgrade my DVD deck and AMP and basically I was wondering what the 'sound' differences are between the afore mentioned makes.

From previous reviews the Sony ampos are described as forward sounding and occasionally fatiguing. However, I love the sony sound but do wonder what Denon and Pioneer sound like in comparison.

I will demo when and where possible, but can anyone let me know the differences in the sound? basically of course.

Thanks in advance,

Cap:smashin:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    IMO both Sony and Pioneer are brighter than most, Denon a bit nearer neutral. Yamaha on the other hand has a much warmer sound. Your current amp/speakers probably give out more top-end than most, so I would expect Denon and Yamaha to sound a bit boring when YOU demo them.

Of course it also depends which models we are talking about too. ;)