1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPS-HU70W Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mjones0, Mar 20, 2003.

1. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Sony VPS-HU70W projector screen any good? I was after a floor standing projector screen (not a tripod one) but didn’t really want to spend too much on it, maybe £200-£300. The Sony is only £130 and I don’t know what I’d get for that.

The other floor standing screens I’ve seen, such as the Bretford Harrier and the ones here are all a bit out of my price range.

Would to Sony be alright (for use with a PT-AE100) and if not is there anyting else in the £200-£300 mark I could consider?

Thanks for your help.

2. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Bumping this one up here. Just purchased the AE-100 and am considering this screen as it seems quite 'wife friendly' (ie no hanging to celing or wall)

this is the one - http://www.shootandshow.com/sony-screen.htm

Does anyone have the same one or have seen one in action?

Cheers

3. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi,

I have seen this screen some time ago, once at a trade show and once in a demo room in Germany.

There are a few things to consider:
    1. The screen actually has 2 parts, which you can see with the picture taken from the front. The pole which supports the screen when extended, is actually a loose piece, which is placed in the casing. When not in use, it is attached, in the hollow part of the U-shaped houding, to two clips.
    It is basically the design of a tripod, but without the legs. I suspect the clips not to be too sturdy, since the one I saw in the German demo room had 1 broken. But to be perfectly honest, this could have been the result from poor handling as well.
    2. These screens are designed for use with a projector that is NOT ceiling mounted. The viewing height (height where the lower black section ends and the white part (=projection area) begins, is normally quite low.
    In this case, if I take the info from wozwebs link in the previous post, you can see that the total height is: 202 cm. When you deduct the viewing (white) area (36" = 92 cm) the viewing height is about 110 cm, which is OK.

I do think this option is not too bad, considering it's a 16:9 aspect ratio. A good tripod would be more sturdy, but less convenient in use.

Hope this is helpful...

4. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one - currently selling it actually bundled with a HS1.
    The first one I received was damaged in transit and I changed it. The second one, when I opened it, had it's roller loose in the housing because a small clip had dropped off into the housing and the missus and I had to manually unwind the roller and thread it all back in slowly with fingers sticking into the small spaces allowed - you can't take the housing to pieces.
    Overall I think it's a bit poor - the roller tension is iffy (although this could be because mine was loose to start with), the tension bar is basic and I don't think would stand up to a lot of treatment; if you use the screen at full stretch the tension rod has a tendency to slant forward with the pressure from the roller and whilst this doesn't affect the flatness of the screen or angle of view it does make the upright screen look a bit wonky; also, the screen is a bit flappy at the edges in the middle.
    I got it free bundled in when I bought a HS10 and I used it for a while and was quite happy with the picture quality and the fact that I could dismantle it and take it out of the room. My concerns were really that everytime I stood on it end to store it away, the next time I came to unroll the screen I might find the roller had come loose. Now that I have a dedicated room I have made my own DIY screen with blackout material and would say, if you have the option, make something permanent and leave it on the wall rather than get one of these.

Oh - almost forgot - the screen has a very strong plasticky-chemical smell.

Hope this helps.

5. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Cheers for the advice guys, I think I will try the B&Q blackout blind 1st. I can always take it back if it isn't quite wife friendly enough. How big are your clips in the celing Oblivion?

The wall where I want the screen has a fireplace etc. so will have to 'come out' from the wall by about 30cm before putting the clips in. Can you hardly notice them?

7. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wozwebs

My screen is away from the wall to. You can see them, but they passed the G-Friend test with very minor mumbles :clap:

Im at work at the moment so I can't show you a pic of the screen down, and just the clips up. But here is a pic of the screen to give you some idea. Its the 1.8m wide blind.

[​IMG]

If you do go for the blind, make sure you go for the blackout blind. I went for B&Qs own brand white blind first but was to transparent. The Blackout blind is excellent IMO

Will post a pic of just the clips later this afternoon

Paul

8. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Excellent, cheers mate. Your setup looks great. Will nip up B&Q after work to snap up the 1.8m blackout blind

9. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Homebase has the same item for £44.99 - it has a drop of about 2 metres fully unrolled (it states 1.6 m drop on the packaging).

10. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikea do a blackout blind for £20 or less (depends on size) called Tupplur (I think). There's another thread somewhere which names it if you search....

11. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Cheers for doing that, I'm convinced I can pursuede her by using your pics.

CooperUK - Cheers for the heads up about Homebase, there is one right next to us here at work. I'll pop in

13. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    N E Time

Let us know how you get on

Paul

14. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Got the projector today - WOW!!!!!!!!

that's all I can say. For the time being I have hung a thick white bed sheet over my curtain rail in the lounge and it's giving me a HUGE picture. Currently watching BTTF 3 and it feels like I am actually at the cinema!!

Will try the Ikea blind first and will be popping up there in the morning to get one. Showed the missus earlier and I saw a slight smile so I think i'm on to a winner. She was the one who suggested the sheet aswell so I think it's here to stay!!
    :)

15. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Let me know if you have any luck with the Ikea blind. Every time I phone for it, it's on back order :(
    It would be good to know if they have any in.

16. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    cyberheater - seems you're right. I tried the Wednesbury branch of Ikea but they had sold out and have discontinued the 2m version anyway.

So looking around the DIY stores I found the white 1.8m blackout roller blind at Homebase that CooperUK pointed out for £44.99. Tried it out last night and it's superb so thanks for the heads up on that one.

Am only using S-Video from my Xbox at the moment til I rig it all up but found a cheap way to connect my Sky box and Tivo to it. I just used my cheap Scart splitter that I got from Argos to use the video output to the projector (yellow phono), picture not the best that it could be but saves spending £140 on a RGB cable.

Overall, very pleased! :)