1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPLS900 - Reviews, Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by larry_1000000, Aug 11, 2002.

1. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a Sony VPLS900 for sale in a local dealer at just under £1k and was wondering if it is good. Is it better than the new panasonic pt-ae100e for example.
    Any advice would be appreciated as this will be my first experience of home cinema.

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Do you mean the VPL-S900U ?, if so it has the following specifications.

2000 hour lamp life
    800x600 MLA native panel resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio
    1100 ansi lumens
    Manual focus.
    I think it has a zoom lense, but make sure as I would never buy a projector without a zoom lense!!.
    The contrast ratio is probably around 150:1 because its an old projector.

I would ask to demo it first to be honest as for an extra £200 you could get the Panasonic AE100 with 2 year peace of mind warranty and higher contrast ratio and native widescreen panel. Always demo before you buy :)

Also how many hours has the bulb got left?, old projectors bulbs tend to be quite expensive (£300+) whereas I think the AE100's bulb is about £180.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I just sold a VPL-S900E that I used as a home cinema projector for 2 years. Good projector at the time but now far surpassed by the AE100 and all the others on the market today.

I personally would go for the AE100 without hesitation. After all it is only £300 more and as jrwood says, apart from the far higher quality, you will be buying peace of mind.

4. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I did not realise the contrast would be so low.

I will be viewing it later this week but at least I now know what questions to ask and what to look for.