1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPLHS10 opinions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djnsh, Aug 31, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to take the plunge and move away from a widescreen CRT and enter the realms of projector technology.

Looking at the range of Sony projectors available, I am at a loss to why no magazine has ever reviewed the Sony VPLHS10 projector. On paper it seems an excellent choice at £1600 - £2000 price range and therefore I am hoping the next edition of What Video due out soon will have a review on it in their projector supplement.

However until that time I am interested to hear what current owners think about it and why they bought one.

I have been very tempted with the HS2 package with its free screen - available for around £1000 from some dealers - which I am sure most readers will surely agree is a good deal for the money.

I am sure the Sony VPLVW12HT is an outstanding buy however is way beyond my budget for an item I will probably use only 5 hours a week!

Therefore for the price range £1000 - £2000 should I ditch the Sony route and buy a Panasonic AE300?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

2. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Well im waiting for the Sanyo Z2 now and see how thats greeted. Was going to get the AE300...

3. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you've got SD and HD tv, like we have downunder, the HS10 puts out an absolutely fantastic picture in 576i, 576p and 1080i.

For DVD the clarity with 480i/480p/576i/576p is great.

Out of the box the settings are pretty good, depends whether or not the local Sony distribution centre unpacks and QA's for local conditions like they do here.

I must admit I have started the "tweaking" found over at AVS Forum and have already improved the pq, especially black levels using only the supplied CinemaFilter that comes with the unit.

The extra resolution of the unit does provide that extra clarity and if you sit at least 1.5x screen size (diag) you will have no screendoor. I have an 84" 16:9 1.1 gain screen abd sit around 11-12 feet and the picture is exceptional.

4. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    djnsh,

I have had my HS10 for nine months now and I love it to bits, its fittted with a CC40R filter and has been tweaked once or twice to improve picture quality further. It has been totally reliable in this time also. It's fed from a Philips 963SA dvd player set to pal progressive scan and produces stunning pictures. The reason I bought it was purley for the hi-res image as it has next to no screen door visible.

If you have your heart set on buying an HS10 go for it and you wont be dissapointed. But if I were you I would get demo's of as many PJ's LCD and DLP as possible so you can see for yourself the differences in the picture quality they all produce and in the end the one you like, you will also find out if you are sensitive to the rainbow effect that the DLP machines give to some people.

Dont just rush in and buy anything do your homework it will pay off dividends in the end plus you will have lots of fun demoing the various PJ's and checking out the shops various setups.

Hope this helps......

Klippie.

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the UK video magazines are all useless - they haven't got a clue about projectors.

There are some good ones in the US though, which you can get at shops like Borders books and Tower records - at least in London. I like Widescreen Review best - they print reviews of some very expensive stuff, and it seems to be aimed as much at professional installers as at consumers.

WSR tested the HS10 in their 1/03 issue and gave it a glowing review ('provides serious home theater picture quality at an unprecedented price'). That was partly what prompted me to buy one.

Other good sources of info are this website and AVSforum in the US.

It's a great projector, but it might be worth waiting for the HS20 which has just been announced and which promises various improvements to resolve the (relatively minor) problems that the HS10 has. Some people have had problems with premature bulb failures, and it's not the quietest projector around.

I've seen the AE300 and HS2 and I would say the HS10 is in a different league. With the HS2 you are always aware of the screen door effect. With the AE300 you don't see the screen door effect so much, but you're aware of the reduced resolution. The 12HT isn't much better than the HS10, it has no digital input, and the bulbs are a lot more expensive.

By the way, I use my HS10 instead of a TV, so I'm getting my money's worth out of it!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I viewed the HS10, but the noise put off 'er indoors. Eveything else was good. However, if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find a slack handful of users whose PJ's turn themselves off at regular intervals with an error message. It's not eveyone, and it seems to be a bit of a mystery. But few projectors are without fault, especially in the budget price bracket.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They don't really turn themselves off, more "false start", Comer's being the exception. Looks like a new lamp has sorted it for him now.

My HS10 (9 months now) is behaving perfectly :clap: . Have seen most of todays crop & still love the HS10. No VB, no picture structure etc...

HS20 around the corner but that's not likely to appear in the UK until early next year (at least). It may not surface till March. Z2 coming too!

All in all, HS10 is unbeatable in terms of resolution (& will remain so for a while yet IMO). Poor black level (which can be considerably improved) & not the quietest in a warm environment, but certainly well worth a demo.

You may find this thread of some use.

:smoke:

8. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all your comments.

I have read all sources of information, the extensive and rather entertaining thread by Kramer also the magazine review suggested by Marcus Wood.

It looks like I will shop around for the best deal and take the plunge with the HS10 - there may some good deals what with the HS20 on the horizon.

P.S: What Video and TV (whom I may be in the minority in thinking is a good magazine) have still not reviewed the HS10 even in their dedicated supplement this month! However they do say they are reviewing a Sony projector next month. Could it be the HS10 (as they have reviewed every other Sony model) or the new HS3 or HS20? It will be interesting to see.

9. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    what is the best price you have for this?

10. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had a look through the WVTV article in W H Smith. I agree it's strange that they didn't test an HS10. It's also strange that they didn't test a Sim2 projector, although they say it's one of the best, but they tested two Sharp ones.

And although most of the projectors they tested were DLP, I didn't see any mention of the rainbow effect, as usual. I think maybe there's some sort of bias against LCD there, but I can't imagine why that would be the case.

11. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    i think essential home cinema test it this month?

Phil