Sony VPLHS1 LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by qixman, Sep 27, 2001.

1. qixman

qixman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody seen this yet, i was going to buy the sanyo plv30 but my local supplier have advised me to wait, for the sony vplhs1. I was wondering how it compares for home cinema use - I have been quite impressed with the sanyo

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be a long shot but I've read on some of the Japanes postings that Sony have a weird and wacky lcd projector design that has keystone correction on the horizontal plane, in effect this allows you to position the pojector on a side wall instead of the centre of the room. Design looks very futuristic but may not be to everyones taste. Don't think it has the edge over the imminent VW11HT, in terms of performance anyway. Should be a fair bit cheaper though.

3. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brendan

The projector your talking about is the vpl-hs1, also known as the 'SideShot' and can be seen at

<a href="http://www.sonypresentations.com/" target="_blank">http://www.sonypresentations.com</a><br />and do a search for HS1

Sam

[ 27-09-2001: Message edited by: Sam Wiley ]

[ 27-09-2001: Message edited by: Sam Wiley ]</p>

4. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I saw the vplhs1 at Live 2001. The sideshot feature was very impressive and might save me a lot of hassle with my set up. Trouble was, they showed it right under the glare of some huge arc lights, so comparisons were dificult if not impossible. I'm also looking at the PLV30 as my other option. The worst thing was , Sony had a near blacked out tent nearby, wasted on showing PS2 games!. The optional input box allows progressive scan via component in, so it should be reasonable picture for the money.

Gordon, I know this is some way below what you're used to commenting on, but have you seen it and if so, what do you think?

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The sideways keystoning 'feature' is a digital trick I believe, and as such will probably introduce jaggies into the image. Worth a look still, and an interesting idea (if they could do it optically instead).

Ian Guinan

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I too saw it at live and it seemed the do the playstation job ok. <br />For the life of me I'm trying to think of an installation where you would need to mount the projector 40 deg off to the side but I suspect this is gimick to show the vertical shift too.

Just think you could leave the ceiling rose in place and put the projector in the corner.

CRT has been able to do this for years with no jaggies.

Why don't they? It looks silly

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Roland:

my reason for using the sideshot feature is that it would allow me to put the projector in an enclosure built into the back wall, abovea similar one built to house my av equipment, thus reducing the hassle factor from the other half. To get this enclosure to exit into a larder in the kitchen behind, it will have to be offset from the screen, which is on the chimney breast opposite, or have it quite low down the wall where it is both more conspicuous and more likely to be got at by tiny hands.

Obviously I have an unusual situation, but I can't be alone in this.The thing is, if the performance is much below the PLV30, it won't be long before I tear my hair out and look for an upgrade. Have you seen the HS1 in a proper dem (Anybody)? And how do they compare?