1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL10HT & Tosh 510

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fraggle, Jan 10, 2003.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've just bought and laid in a nice 4 way cable from the pj to DVD player so I can use the component outputs and also use the progressive output of the Tosh 510 DVD player.

The component outputs look slightly better, so thats fine.

But enabling progressive output on the Tosh really reduces the resolution of the picture. Looking closely at the image it appears to 1/4 the res (each 2x2 block of pixels basically becomes one - roughly) so diagonals look absolutely terrible.

Now this was on a region 1 NTSC disc. I *think* the 10HT is quite good at upscaling and de-interlacing NTSC?

If the NTSC progressive signal is 480p, and the Sony doesn't do any fancy line doubling/scaling to the image I can see why it looks horrible. (480 lines stretched up to fit the natural res of the panels)

So I've basically two questions.

1) What does the Sony do that the Tosh doesn't to make the image a lot better?

2) Would buying a Philips 963SA (for progressive output PAL & NTSC) be a waste fo time, i.e. would it look terrible and blocky like the Tosh does?

Or would I be better off just getting a very good second hand player, say Sony 7700 or something?

Don't care about SACD or CD playback.

TIA,

richard

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I may have missed something here but if the player is outputting progressive then are you sure the Sony isn't trying to de-interlace an already de-interlaced image. Therefore is there a way to turn off the de-interlacer on the Sony (there is on HS-10, so I guess there should be), Otherwise put Tosh into non-progressive mode and just use de-interlacer on projector.
    I'm sure someone will say if what I've said is wrong.:)