1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL W400Q - problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ccmccm, Jun 24, 2005.

1. ccmccm

ccmccm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a second hand Sony VPL W400q as my first projector.

I initially hooked it up to the TV via an S-Video lead which worked fine except the picture was Black and White.

I did a bit of research and apparently this was due to the TV not supporting S-Video.

I then bought a Scart to component RGB lead in the hope this would give a colour picture. Since using this, the projector has not worked at all.

To get it to project you are supposed to turn the main power to the projector on, then the secondary power button on the projector. At this point the lamp should fire up and you get a blank screen until you put the power to the TV on and configure the input selection. This worked fine with the S-Video lead but now nothing is coming through and the lamp does not even project a blank screen,.

Does anyone have any experience of these that would be able to offer any advice?

Regards Steve

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    You mean, the lamp isn't firing up?

Do you get anything from the internal fan/s? If no, have you checked carefully all the power connections. Are there any flashing indicator lights to help someone guide you?

And..........if you've only just turned it off, you will have to wait for several minutes before it will power on again. And - don't switch it on and off frequently; you'll kill the bulb. Leave it on whilst changing sources etc.

Off the subject a bit - but why are you using a TV? I'd suggest (if you get it working) that you should drive it directly off a video source - DVD player, Freeview or $ky set top box, or for analog TV use the tuner in your VCR to drive it.

3. ccmccm

ccmccm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

The lamp fires up now, but unfortunately I still couldnt get a picture using the lead below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5779853854

I have tried running from SCART on the TV to the RGB connectors on the projector, and changed the input setting to RGB on the projector but still no picture. I have tried it running from a freeview box as well with no results.

I am a complete begginer with all of this so was wondering whether it had anything to do with the fact there is an extra BNC connector labled C-SYNC next to the RGB connectors. In the manual it shows a cable connected to all 4 of these plugs rather than just three?

The only way I got a picture was to run a SCART lead from the back of an X-Box to the component SCART plugs on the front of the projector.

This gave a picture but was still black and white apart from a couple of spots at the bottom of the screen. Having looked in the manual this indicates that the lamp is on the way out, so I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will have to invest in a new lamp!!

Does anyone know the best place to pick them up? Having a quick look on the internet, I can find a couple for about £250-£350, but I was hoping to pay less than this!

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    IIRC, you do need to use all 4 connectors. RGB coming from SCART has the Sync embedded in one of the colours (green, I think) whereas the 400 requires it separate. So you need an adaptor. Maplins, perhaps.

Have you got any other sources - such as DVD, a VCR, a Set Top Box (etc)? For any of these, use SVideo in preference to video. SVideo is nearly as good as RGB.

Rather than continuing to get a connection from your TV can I strongly recommend you spend well under GBP100 on another source? If you are in a Freeview reception area - buy a Freeview box with SVideo output - and use that. For one, you then get widescreen to match the projector. Or a cheap SVHS VCR (perhaps even a used one) for use as an analog tuner.

As for replacement lamps - I doubt you'll pay much less.

5. ccmccm

ccmccm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply LV426.

I had it working ok, going from a SCART connection on an X-Box to component SCART (only the video part). Unfortunately it looks like a new lamp is needed sooner rather than later!

You mention getting a Freeview box with S-video output. I have a freeview box with a SCART output already, would an adapter that allows you to run the s-video lead from the projector to the freeview boxes SCART socket work too? or does it have to plug directly into an S-Video socket?

regards
    Steve

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Assuming the Freeview box has SVideo enabled on the SCART socket then an adaptor will do, yes. You may have to tell the box (via its menu) to output SVideo. Or it may not be provided. Check the manual.