1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-W400 LCD Projector Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alan Paterson, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've had the above projector for about 3 years now and we've been happy with the picture quality.
    Recently we've noticed a blue glow emanating from the bottom left hand corner of the screen and spreading upwards.
    On a well lit scene it's hardly visible, but on a dark scene it's quite distracting and annoying.
    I contacted Sony in Basingstoke and they didn't know what it was but wanted £140 to inspect it, then parts and labour would be on top.
    I've had a look at the lamp and the reflector seems untarnished. There isn't any clouding or build up on the lamp bubble itself. I can't see where the problem is coming from but if it's not the lamp it has to be the LCD panels. The problem does appear to be becoming more widespread over the screen area.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what's the cure?
    Thanks
    Alan

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Alan,

Yes this loss of uniformity is the most common defect I've seen on old (and I know yours isn't that old) SonyVPL400's. Sony, as you've seen, want a fair bit to look at it and I can guess they'll want an even bigger wedge to fix it.

I am unaware of exactly what our service guy did to fix the ones we had with this, sorry.

Gordon

3. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Gordon,
    Thanks for the reply. This problem has been bugging me for some time now.
    If there was any chance of you finding out from your service guy what he did to fix it and a rough price, I'd be interested. I know you don't participate here to drum up business, but you're the first person to say he's actually come across the problem - which Sony did not do.
    Any help or advice gratefully received.
    Regards
    Alan

4. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had a similar problem with my VPL400 some years ago. I think it was the prism that was faulty. A company called Merlin in Reading (Caversham) repaired it. I am not too sure if they are still in business.

Regards,

Steve

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I believe the one we sent to Sony we were told it was the prism block and the cost was well over the value of the projector to fix. So we found an alternate repair facility who is actually a customer that has a company that fixes Plasma displays.....I'll try to find out what he did and the costs....

Gordon

6. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the advice so far guys.
    It would be great to get it fixed if possible.
    I have this strange view on life to the extent that if a company produces a fairly expensive product (£3500) with a known fault then they should be willing to fix it. Obviously wear and tear or misuse is different. My problem would appear to be that I've been using it.
    Alan

7. rossobonks

rossobonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ive replaced many polarisation filters in Sony projectors. The fault symptoms are usually best seen when you project a solid red, green or blue test signal from setup software. If you say its leaking blue light through on a dark scene try a peak white signal and it should show up as yellow. If this is the case you require a new blue polar plate which cost about £200 from Sony.

With the mounted in a desktop position is the shading at the top corners?? If this is the case you could have a buildup of dust on the panels or the polar filters, which is also a common problem with LCD machines.

If any of the LCD`s are faulty which they are more than likely not the machine will be a bin job!

8. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Rossobonks,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The blue glow I'm getting shows up on a plain black image as blue. I'll try what you suggest to see if it is yellow on peak white.
    If the projector is sitting vertically on a desktop, the blue glow is emanating from the bottom left hand corner spreading upwards and also across the bottom of the screen. It's been getting worse, so the dust build up seems logical - but its not in the top corners as you mentioned.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Regards
    Alan

9. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Rossobonks,
    I did the test you suggested and saw exactly what you described. I took the projector apart, removed the blue polarisation filter and a kind of 'blume' effect could be seen on the filter glass in the inverse position to the on screen problem. The red and green filters are okay, so I'll order up the part from Sony and hopefully the problem will be fixed. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I just wonder what caused the filter to go like this and if it's just the symptom rather than the root cause of the problem.
    You've all been a great help.
    Alan

10. davrob

davrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cougar,

Please, call me Dave, it is generally the Blue plate that goes on Sony`s, I`m sure you will have no other problems when the new one has been fitted just make sure the intake air filter is free from dust before installing the new part. You could even clean one side of the LCD prism while you are doing the job.

Good Luck

Dave

11. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Dave,
    I've ordered the part No 993971401 from Sony via ES Video for £91. Sony call it a 'Deflector plate-blue' despite the fact that their Technical Bulletins call it a 'Blue polariser plate'. I'm hoping to have it in time to fit at the weekend.
    Once you've disconnected the little connectors and removed the circuit board, the filter plates are easy to get out.
    I've kept the projector disassembled and wrapped in cling film to keep the dust out while waiting for the replacement part.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Alan

12. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Got the replacement part, fitted and tested it. The problem is solved. Nice clean pictures on the screen.
    Thanks to everyone for help and advice.
    Alan

13. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wow!

Is this thread an example of the power of this forum or what?

:cool: