• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony VPL-VW80 vrs VPL-VW60

RockMonster

Standard Member
Hi All,
In a bit of a HD quandry, is it worth the few extra squids to purchase the VW80 over the VW60??? I'm on a bit of a budget, have extra costs as well thought, HDMI 5/2 switch (On that is the Octava 5/2 switch any good), cables, dedicated Bluray player. If I can afford it might go down the 5000ES route... as most of my existing kit is ES standard and I love the build quality and additional features not to metion the display detail.... open to all advice, especially if your an owner of any of the components mentioned, comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Currently own
All Sony, DVP-999NS, STR-DA9000ES, VPL-HS10, PS3-80Gb

Regards,
R

sloany1979

Established Member
Is your cinema room going to be light controled? If not and you are on a budget have you thought about the vpl-hw10? I have seen the vw80 in action and to be honest I didn`t like the image from it when the film modes are switched on. I own the hw10 and I love the picture from it.

Last edited:

RockMonster

Standard Member
Cheers Sloany,
This what I have in mind, mount projector on cieling, replace current centre lighting with possible 8 flush downlighters, I'm using two X10 dimmers at the moment one wall mounted other plugged in, this one controls lights behind screen which I can dim to a faint light, gives better blacks when in use. I will probalbly add another wall mounted type, but this my inital thoughts at the moment.

How do you have the HW10 mounted at the moment? Did you get to view the VW60. Home Cinema Choice mag reviewed it and gave it a reasonable rating... its just the bang for the buck ... alot of bread.

Regards,
R

sloany1979

Established Member
I have mine sitting on top of a tall unit but I will be ceiling mounting it once I have the cash to buy a good mount. As for the vw60 I haven`t seen one in action but if you are looking for bang per buck buy the HW10 as I don`t think the small difference in picture quality justifies the huge increase in price. Oh and be quick as these projectors are increasing in price again soon.
As for my set up I am using a 120 inch glass beaded screen and sit about 6 feet away from it with the projector about another 6 feet behind me. I use it in low lamp mode to get more life from the bulb, and if I turn the brightness up I can use the projector with the lights on or during the day. My room isn`t light controlled at all with white walls and a white ceiling.

RockMonster

Standard Member
You are really giving me food for thought.... you don't mind me asking where you purchased yours and for how much... seen on another post Creative Audio are selling it for £1773, might give them a call tomorrow. Will trawl further and maybe get it cheaper somewhere else...:thumbsup:

Anyone else agree with VPL-HW10???

Miniholic

Prominent Member

jacko5

Established Member
You are really giving me food for thought.... you don't mind me asking where you purchased yours and for how much... seen on another post Creative Audio are selling it for £1773, might give them a call tomorrow. Will trawl further and maybe get it cheaper somewhere else...:thumbsup:

Anyone else agree with VPL-HW10???
I have the HW10 and I am very pleased with it. You get the good qualities of the LCOS (sxrd) image at LCD prices. The image quality of the HW10 is supposed to be at least as good as, or even better than, the VW60. It just doesn't have the motorised lens and one or two other minor differences.

D

Deleted member 63670

Someone has just put a brand new HW10 up for sale here, change of plans means he has to sell, maybe worth looking into as prices for these are rising quickly!

JohnnyK1966

Standard Member
Doe's anyone know when or if the VPL-VW80 will be available in North America (I'm in Canada). Product releases are usually the same or a few months after the American release. Sony America and Sony Canada websites don't even show this as a real product.

I'm a newbie to front projection and the VPL-VW80 has made my short list along with the JVC DLA-HD750 and the Panasonic PT-AE3000. I've actualy seen the PT-AE3000 and was quite impressed with it. I was told that the JVC and Sony "are that much better". BTW, my room is light controlled.

The only consideration I've given to the screen is size and aspect ratio: 120" wide and 2.40:1.

I'll use the zoom, shift, focus method until the I replenish the slush-fund for an anamorphic lens and sled.

Any advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

pho

Established Member
Some contrast performance figuares for Sony SXRD pj

VW60
iris open 3700:1
iris close 5000:1
dynamic 19000:1
ansi 320:1

HW10
iris open 4000:1
iris close 5000:1
dynamic 19000:1