Sony VPL-VW60

X3ELS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Been a little while since i have been about on here due to having a baby 8 weeks ago, which appears to take up an awful lot of time!!!

Just wanted to let you know that i am having a meeting at 1pm this afternoon with the Sony FP Design team who are showing me the VW60, will let you know what it looks like later :)

Very Very impressive i have to say. Big improvements over the VW50, and after the chat i had today i cant wait for the VW200 :eek: but start saving as its going to be expensive.

At the risk of asking (just ordered a JVC HD1) in what ways was the VW60 superior? Much brighter, better contrast?

And brightness? The main reason I went for the jvc, other than the good black levels, was because it's nice and bright in best modes. Had the Pearl been brighter it'd be in my HC as we speak.

Congrats on the baby. :)

Amazing adjustment increments for the convergence - how do they do that Elliot? Physically move the panels?

Gary.

Yes, welcome to the parent / no more life of your own club :D

Did you discuss the lens shift? For my personal setup a flexible horizontal shift is a necessity which currently makes the HD-1 a top condender at the moment. Also is there any hint of pricing?

Thanks,

Adam

P.S. Mmmmmmm Sake :D

:thumbsup: on the new arrival (the baby not the pj ;)).

When you mention it's going to be expensive, where you referring to the 60 or the 200 model (or both)?

Thanks.

if they gave you sake, how can i trust you:D

vw200 is more expensive to the above over the ruby^^^

added specs for the VW60 from the other thread

VW60
1080/24p compat
UHP lamp
Bravia Theatre Sync
900 Lumens
"Up to 35,000:1 CR using Adv Iris"
10 bit signal processor
22db noise level
MSRP: $4999
Availability: Sept
Deepcolour and HDMI 1.3
0.1 pixel convergence adjustment

I was also stunned by the convergence adjust in 0.1 of a pixel steps, which is seriously cool. The uniformity and convergence of this particular unit was the best i have ever seen from a 3 chipper, and they are claiming this will be the case across the board. With the 0.1 adjustment it should certainly be close.

Lets hope this hand picked 'demo' unit will be representative of the population as a whole. But the big news of course is that this is the 1st confirmation that the VW-60 has this pixel shifting capability. This is one big plus for the Sony.

Also, Elliot any idea on pricing yet, similar to the VW50 or a bit less??

Zag

P.S Remember breast is best, it means you don't have to get up in the night to do the feeding. Best wishes on the new arrival. :thumbsup:

P.S Remember breast is best, it means you don't have to get up in the night to do the feeding. Best wishes on the new arrival. :thumbsup:

That's never the reason they give in antenatal classes.......now if they were run by men.....

Lets hope this hand picked 'demo' unit will be representative of the population as a whole. But the big news of course is that this is the 1st confirmation that the VW-60 has this pixel shifting capability. This is one big plus for the Sony.

Also, Elliot any idea on pricing yet, similar to the VW50 or a bit less??

Zag

If I recall correctly the VW50 demo unit that Sony provided for the initial PJ HiFi demo I attended had spot on convergence. I guess the Sony guys are just lucky ;)

AVI

OK, i will ask it since nobody else has:devil:

How do you think it compares with the HD1, not as good, about even, a little better?

which is sharper do you think?

I know thats a hard question to answer, so your candid response would be most welcome....if you dare:D

OK, i will ask it since nobody else has:devil:

How do you think it compares with the HD1, not as good, about even, a little better?

which is sharper do you think?

I know thats a hard question to answer, so your candid response would be most welcome....if you dare:D

Post #5 has some comments. :)

Avi

I have to be honest i did not look at the horizontal lens shift, sorry....

No problem, it isn't exactly everyones highest priority. If it does have a decent range then it is a more attractive proposition for me than the HD-1 (assuming performance is not too dissimiliar) as the PJ will be mounted on a shelf in the back wall just above head height and the Sony is considerably quieter :thumbsup:

Adam

Sorry guys i cant say anymore on this subject at the moment :thumbsdow

With the suggested price of the VW60 being possibly higher than the HD-1, what significant advantages over the JVC does this new Sony model have??

With the Optoma HD80 now available for less than £1800 and good initial reports coming in, I think it may be time for the LCOS based machines and 1080P LCD machines to rethink their pricing strategies.

This will be something to look forwards to.

35k contrast will give the CRT boys somethig to think about, if it's true. I wonder how that can be measured accurately? Might have to put the screen very close, so both on and off levels can be measured, rather than going off the scale.

Thsi puts the ball back into JVC's court. Perhaps it will oblige them to release an RS2 with an effective dynamic iris?

Nick

Hi Nick,

to measure on/off accurately you just need to have the light meter close to the pj lens so that you get a good black level reading, but not so close that you overload the meter when measuring white. You also need a light meter that can measure down to a couple of decimal places or better.

As for CRTs, if you don't have a means to modify the gamma, there's a very good chance that the JVC will have a higher on/off than a CRT when set up for good shadow detail (only 10,000:1 or thereabouts). If you set the CRT for better blacks or total blackout, you'll be crushing shadow detail since they can't come out of black quick enough. Of course no lamp pj can do total blackout.

Gary

With the Optoma HD80 now available for less than £1800 and good initial reports coming in, I think it may be time for the LCOS based machines and 1080P LCD machines to rethink their pricing strategies.

I've purchaded the RS1 on the assumption it's considerably better than the HD80 - obviously taking into account the advantages and disadvantages each technology brings. For an extra £1500 it better be!

Sorry guys i cant say anymore on this subject at the moment :thumbsdow
What's going on??? It hasn't got a dodgy SDI input, has it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom