Sony VPL-VW590ES Owners Thread

colinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Box has just arrived. Looking forward to a AV Forum review. Will start it up this evening.

Well, seems to work pretty well straight out of the box. Need to do the panel alignment.
I'm using the Freesat UHD test signal - 3840x2160p50. But the Sony information is 1080p BT. 709.
But I can't see the pixels as I can with my InFocus X9 1080 projector.
So, I guess perhaps the optical cable can't cope with a 4K signal after all and the Sony is up scaling??
Time to RTFM in more detail.

After a fiddle with the satellite receiver, I've had to set the video settings manually as it didn't want to pass in Auto. So set to 2160p, multi refresh, bt2020cl and 12 bit. Then connected HDMI cable directly to Sony.
Sony info now shows 3840x2160/50p YCbCr 4:2:2 and BT. 2020.
So it seems to work, but needs manual intervention on satellite rx to pass 2160p to projector.
And also works brilliantly through the AVR. And relief that 10m Active Optical Cable works well, with no artefacts or sparklies etc.
Now just need some more UHD satellite channels. German satellite has QVC shopping!! Not sure I need that.

Discovered that the PJ can have a live circuit even when unplugged from the wall. Through an HDMI lead that is plugged into it and plugged into another bit of kit, say an AVR, that is being used.
Doesn't strike me as being particularly safe. Small component failure and a fire would not be unknown??
Thoughts??

doesnt seem like many owners .... maybe someone will come along, these are greatly similar to 570es so am sure folks will chime in...

Well, seems to work pretty well straight out of the box. Need to do the panel alignment.

I'd err against panel alignment... this is not something can usually do to much success with projectors at end user.... usually something at factory....I know with jvc units you can move some stuff around that think having an effect but also can be adverse to resulting softness...

if you cant see panel misalignment from main viewing position I wouldn't bother ...

I'm using the Freesat UHD test signal - 3840x2160p50. But the Sony information is 1080p BT. 709.
But I can't see the pixels as I can with my InFocus X9 1080 projector.
So, I guess perhaps the optical cable can't cope with a 4K signal after all and the Sony is up scaling??
Time to RTFM in more detail.

the infects being 1080 would have had much larger pixels and more easily visible... the pixel structure should be visible with pattern ? really close up ? I tend to need my close work glasses :D

Discovered that the PJ can have a live circuit even when unplugged from the wall. Through an HDMI lead that is plugged into it and plugged into another bit of kit, say an AVR, that is being used.
Doesn't strike me as being particularly safe. Small component failure and a fire would not be unknown??
Thoughts??

standby ? my projectors all these years all been on standby off wall. no issue. they tend to fire up via a trigger cable ? also be aware if using an active cable eg fibre they are always live ...

>also be aware if using an active cable eg fibre they are always live ...

Don't think so - this one doesn't have a USB plug. All my stuff gets switched off. I also live on a boat running off batteries, so don't leave kit in standby.

Don't think so - this one doesn't have a USB plug. All my stuff gets switched off. I also live on a boat running off batteries, so don't leave kit in standby.

active hdmi cables dont HAVE to have a usb plug. they are active by nature ie a source end and a sink end. all fibre cables are this way. in which case if live on a boat and switch everything off, I am sorry dont really get your concern then ?

I was responding to your concern re hdmi being active. which is the case. but if you power everything down am not sure the bother. anyways will leave it there, since if not an issue for you then its a non issue... :)

It is not the HDMI being live. It is the Sony PJ having a live circuit from an HDMI cable plugged into a splitter when physically switched off/unplugged from wall. What ever bit of it is being live, it is stopping other kit working. Bad engineering practice. The TVs HDMI circuits only go live when switched to mains standby - which is what the Sony should do.

It is not the HDMI being live. It is the Sony PJ having a live circuit from an HDMI cable plugged into a splitter when physically switched off/unplugged from wall. What ever bit of it is being live, it is stopping other kit working. Bad engineering practice. The TVs HDMI circuits only go live when switched to mains standby - which is what the Sony should do.
this is what i was trying to explain. I did read the earlier post saying using an active hdmi cable ? if swap to a passive hdmi cable I am pretty sure this is not something would see. but anyways I understand you are just wanting to make a point you rather prefer the sony to be otherwise. so will leave it there...

OK. Crossed wires!! I'll try a short passive HDMI cable. You are the first person to mention that!!
I was also aware of active HDMI cables that have a USB plug and thought you were referring to those.

Exactly the same with a passive cable as the active cable. Blue indicator on H2 comes on straight away.
So, I'm now going to do my cable hack and my hunch is that without the 5v connected, it will be solved.

There are two levels of standby on these. One that allows switch on from network and the other one ('Low' IIRC). Try that and see if it helps.
Also set your HDMI ports to 'Enhanced Format'.
Panel alignment is great too, especially if it only needs a few clicks as it will clear up colour fringing nicely. It will only cause resolution to lower if used to the max, which shouldn't be required.
Let the unit warm up for an hour before adjustment too however, same with focus.

Thanks.
On this machine the only switch on from a network is remote start and that is Off. I haven't entered any network settings. And the only Power Saving is stand by which is set, or Off. Setup menu - manual page 33/34.
Enhanced HDMI is set.
Yes, realised it needs to fully warm up for an hour or so before tweaking things.

I was about to purchase the Sony VPL-VW270ES, then noticed a price drop on the Sony VPL-VW570ES, but then saw the Sony VPL-VW590ES.

I've ruled out the 270, but what does the 590 offer over the 570?

I noticed the same price drop at Just Projectors and had a chat. Told that 590 was a considerable improvement but can't recall the specifics, but decided on the 590ES. Interestingly the EDID table is dated 2013.

I noticed the same price drop at Just Projectors and had a chat. Told that 590 was a considerable improvement but can't recall the specifics, but decided on the 590ES. Interestingly the EDID table is dated 2013.

x1 for projector chip. Improves hdr performance. Some improvement in processing to reduce prevelance of banding ? Not aware of anything else

I've ruled out the 270, but what does the 590 offer over the 570?

definitely get the 579/590 over the 270es

270es doesn’t have enough lumens, doesn’t achieve 80% coverage of dci p3 so doesn’t meet 4kuhd spec that calls for 80% minimum. No iris at all no dynamic iris either

570 is better with lumens meets 80% coverage of dci p3 for 4k uhd spec. Also have dynamic iris l fir better contrast

the 590es brings x1 for projector chip for better support of hdr

And a UK review - Sony VPL-VW590ES review
And a JVC at £500 less - JVC DLA-N5 review
But I prefer the Sony with side inputs and recessed mains plug as the unit can then be pushed back to the wall - mine sits on top of a conveniently placed cupboard.

And a UK review - Sony VPL-VW590ES review
And a JVC at £500 less - JVC DLA-N5 review
But I prefer the Sony with side inputs and recessed mains plug as the unit can then be pushed back to the wall - mine sits on top of a conveniently placed cupboard.

That minus point for the JVC N5 re. SD upscaling is absolutely bizarre to me. Why on Earth would that be an issue to seriously consider with a 4K projector.

Ahhhh yes - the X1 chip is the main difference. I also recall that 570 and 590 have finer zoom/focus/shift adjustments.
Good 590 discussion and review here - Sony VPL-VW590ES / VPL-VW790ES Owners Thread
You need to do a little reading. That is not true.
X1 chip is already in the 270, 570 760 and 870 too.
The finer adjustments you speak of are due to a revised (plastic) shift mechanism.

You need to do a little reading. That is not true.
X1 chip is already in the 270, 570 760 and 870 too.
The finer adjustments you speak of are due to a revised (plastic) shift mechanism.

apparently the x1 chip is now called x1 for projector in the 590 and 790

the x1 the 270 and 570 and 760 have mustn’t have been for projectors then :D

apparently the x1 chip is now called x1 for projector in the 590 and 790

the x1 the 270 and 570 and 760 have mustn’t have been for projectors then :D
Well exactly. Either way it is the ninja version, as no one seemed to realise it was there.

590 is great just installed mine, very pleased, paired with ub9000 4k, fibre optic cable for connection.

Just hade the chance to view jvc dla-n7 against sony vpl-vw270es so not realy fair.
In the end I orded the sony vpl-vw590es. i can change it out to a dla-n5 if i dont like it.
But have anyone a tipp for me how to set it up the Best and also I have a oppo udp-203 and a apple tv4k so what do I set them to..?
So i realy have it setup right before i deside if I should ceep it or change it to a dla-n5.
Hope someone can help me out..🙂
Going to watch movies series and sports so I whant to set and forget..🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom