Sony VPL-VW590ES 4K SXRD Projector Review & Comments

Yes I am finding that out where I am as well, I have an option on the one and only available N5 due in a week from now or one of the 3 in stock vw590es projectors. Thing is the N5 is $600 more than the Sony which has always been more expensive but is now discounted according to this one shop because it got the EISA award... have tried the used market but it is slim pickings, people are just not letting go of the JVC`s. The not so cheap NZ7 is due on the 20th of December but the price is a little scary.
I think you would find the 590 a superb performer.
In light of the 590 being cheaper than the N5, then it just makes it more appealing.
You just need to decide what your priorities are.

This is not part of the polish review but how can the sony get this award being it is no where near as good as the JVC models? this is the only reason I am even considering the 590es over a N5

Unfortunately there are no reviews done for N series by this guys.

I have no personal experience with either of those machines but as I like to read a lot, from what I was able to find so far, I belive that N5 and 590es should be toe to toe in a direct comparison with N5 having slightly better black levels and 590es having better motion and probably better upscalling capabilities.

But for HDR N5 will win always unless you are using something like Lumagen for tone mapping.

Also consider that both companies can deliver units with problems: Sony can develop panel degradation problems and JVC can deliver a unit with bright corners. With JVC you can see from begining, just turn on the device and project a black image but panel degradation I belive it's a lottery.

I think you would find the 590 a superb performer.
In light of the 590 being cheaper than the N5, then it just makes it more appealing.
You just need to decide what your priorities are.
Thanks for the input DB9S / Harold88, The store tells me I can take it home for a quick demo - no more than 1 hour and if I do not like what I see return it for a refund... all things considered looks like I am going to have to give it a try and stop asking others opinions about the black levels and find out for myself.. the store calibrator tells me this about the 590 vs N5, VW590 measures 15-17.000:1 open iris, while N5 measures 20-25.000:1. so the 590 at its best is not too far from the worst of the N5. I found this striking comparison on projectorreviews.com between the older 695 and 715, if this is correct then I would indeed be happy with the Sony, then I only need to worry about panel degradation 🤔 the image on the right reminds me of my 55es
Sony-VW715ES-vsVW695ES-pic-HDR-11.jpg

I found this striking comparison on projectorreviews.com between the older 695 and 715

I have watched that video comparison made by or at last narrated by Phil Joanes, a couple of times. The video from youtube, not just the image posted here by you.

Something is very strange there. Belive me, I am no fanboy, but the in most scenes the image projected by 695es is not even at the same level of quality as my TW9400.

Sure the new 715 , strictly in that comparison, destroys 695 but is this the reality or they made it look like this to boost the sells for the new unit? I find it very hard to belive that a Sony 695 es can look so bad. I am not making any accusations but I keep wondering what if?

Thus I am reluctant to trust what I see there.

P.S. I have seen a lot of video comparison, even between projectors that we know have huge discrepancy in terms of quality and it's very hard to notice those differences on youtube. Here we can observe them very easy, even in bright scenes which is very odd. So, unless that 695 es had a huge loss in contrast due to panel degradation, the differences observable in a youtube video should be little to none.

Last edited:
I have watched that video comparison made by or at last narrated by Phil Joanes, a couple of times. The video from youtube, not just the image posted here by you.

Something is very strange there. Belive me, I am no fanboy, but the in most scenes the image projeced by 695es is not even at the same level of quality as my TW9400.

Sure the new 715 , strictly in that comparison, destroys 695 but is this the reality or they made it look like this to boost the sells for the new unit? I find it very hard to belive that a Sony 695 es can look so bad. I am not making any accusations but I keep wondering what if?

Thus I am reluctant to trust what I see there.

P.S. I have seen a lot of video comparison, even between projectors that we know have huge discrepancy in terms of quality and it's very hard to notice those differences on youtube. Here we can observe them very easy, even in bright scenes which is very odd. So, unless that 695 es had a huge loss in contrast due to panel degradation, the differences observable in a youtube video should be little to none.
It does make you wonder.... If I do decide to demo the 590 I will take some of my own pictures and post them.

When looking at a Sony bring a 8bit gray ramp and a 30% ire 100% window.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom