Sony VPL-VW570ES Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I still am on the fence about a projector.....
I wanted to buy the 2017 Sony laser projector but I am curious to see what this years model would do......will you do a review for the 870 I believe it's called in our region ?

Nice indepth review by the way for this projector......sounds like it's a winner.

The question is, will you be cancelling your N7 order for this one?
I don't have one on order, but @Steve Withers does.
I am interested in some comparison testing between the two and hopefully, Sony will send it back so that can happen. But I now understand it could be late January or even February before we see JVC review samples!

May have missed it, but what is the fan noise like in comparison to the JVC 7900?

I don't have one on order, but @Steve Withers does.
I am interested in some comparison testing between the two and hopefully, Sony will send it back so that can happen. But I now understand it could be late January or even February before we see JVC review samples!

Sorry, I got you two confused. I knew one of you had the N7 on the way. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

May have missed it, but what is the fan noise like in comparison to the JVC 7900?
I assume the same as the VW360ES which you saw/heard in my room.

Not having evil thoughts of coming over to the dark side are we? :devil:

I assume the same as the VW360ES which you saw/heard in my room.

Not having evil thoughts of coming over to the dark side are we? :devil:

You never know....:rolleyes:

Phil you have said in the past that there is something about a projected image that is more 'cinematic' than a TV.

Given the development of TV's now and the increasing screen sizes, if money were no object would you take the Best 88-100 inch Oled TV over the best Projector for a home cinema?

Phil you have said in the past that there is something about a projected image that is more 'cinematic' than a TV.

Given the development of TV's now and the increasing screen sizes, if money were no object would you take the Best 88-100 inch Oled TV over the best Projector for a home cinema?
Personally, I would still have a projector and I believe there is still quite a bit of life in the technology. We should see better implementations of HDR going forward and resolution bumps could reach 8K in a few years. Laser tech also means more accurate wavelengths of light to play with and longer lifespans. No doubt TVs will also develop and get bigger and we will see modular designs in the near future which would allow you to build large screen walls. Projectors will be around for quite some time to come and any developments for better and bigger images have to be welcomed.

Thanks for the review Phil, informative as ever.

You mention the lack of advanced Gamma Editing capability. Does the Sony Image Director software not cover this area or is there some reason it is not suitable for this purpose?

Not used the software for actually editing Gamma myself (I have no calibration kit), but have been using it to upload customised HDR specific curves with great success on a VW360ES. The so called "German curves" really improve on the factory HDR mode and make using low lamp mode a possibility for HDR if your screen is not too large.

Interested to have a look at one of these but it would be difficult to justify changing after only 12 months and 500 hours use!

Having looked at the 360 last year would you say there was an appreciable improvement to be had upgrading to a 570 with the extra brightness etc.?

I would stress the importance of checking carefully for colour uniformity/tinting/blotching across the entire brightness range of grey fields in increments from from black to white. Please insist that your dealer unboxes and demos it for your evaluation before acceptance. These aren't cheap projectors!

Thanks for the review Phil, informative as ever.

You mention the lack of advanced Gamma Editing capability. Does the Sony Image Director software not cover this area or is there some reason it is not suitable for this purpose?
We review the displays as they come when you purchase the unit, so using aftermarket software may give you the flexibility, but for the purposes of our reviews, I want to see these items in the projector and accessible. We can only review what is in front of us so that is why I mention it.

Last edited:
modular designs in the near future

I like the idea of the modular design.

My room will likely always be projector based though, as it will be too difficult to get even a large modular TV in, without taking the roof off...

I own the VPL360 and would appreciate comments as whether the latest projector is a worthwhile change

Is there any sign Phil of smaller footprint 4k projectors?
Went out last month to purchase a Sony 4k but they are massive compared to my Sony
VPL-HW65ES. If there was a smaller version I would purchase tomorrow. Many thanks.

Is there any sign Phil of smaller footprint 4k projectors?
Went out last month to purchase a Sony 4k but they are massive compared to my Sony
VPL-HW65ES. If there was a smaller version I would purchase tomorrow. Many thanks.
No, the native projectors are all based on the same two chassis and they are both large. The JVC native 4K chassis is also just as large.

I am prepared to upgrade my Epson 9300W to around this price point

in a moment of faith/lunacy I bought the Epson without a demo on the strength of reviews and the word of a dealer I trust - that worked out very well as I still love the image of the Epson after 2000 hours use over 2 years

at this price I am not buying on faith alone and a really good demo will be essential

I know the N7 will be delayed by a few more months and I could have the sony much sooner but I think you would be very unwise to buy before being able to see both this and the N5/7 in action before making such a decision - I am waiting ….

Hi. After a good test on here and as a owner of 4 year old vw500 es model, and being very happy with it, going thru 4 bulbs in 3600 hrs total. Watched mostly 3d blu rays on high lamp mode . It upscales 1080p to 2 4k images very sharp. I'll have Sony 75zd9 , OPPO 205 and 7.4.1 atoms sound. I today received a Sony vw570es and A Panasonic 820eb uhd player. I've been a professional photographer all my life . And have 4 4k video camera for hobby, so I like good images.
Replaced 570 in my ceiling mount. And set up picture size / focus, And put "The Greatest Showman" uhd disc in Oppo 205 on HDR forced 300nits for a try. Good picture his red coat vibrant and shiny, black good but not super deep. Next switched to Panasonic 820 same disc played brill picture huge contrast range, then I put the HDR optimiser on , my god. Dropped black level back on projector 15 points on cinema 1 preset. The picture nearly had the same fantastic type of impact near to the look of my 75Zd9 , but at 3 metre diagonal on mt Harkness hall 1.1 gain screen. Blacks are very deep with plenty of near black, metallic items glint. I would much rather watch films on a big screen than sit 10ft from a 75" tv how ever good the tv. I took a total punt at buying these and am very satisfied with my choice.
The Sony is 14 kgs and fitted straight on my mount, I am using audioquest 4k 18gbs hdmi cables. It seems the 570es and 820eb are a match made in heaven. Will try Ready Player One 3D bd later to see how much extra lamp brightness makes to 3d viewing.
Cheers Selwyn

No, the native projectors are all based on the same two chassis and they are both large. The JVC native 4K chassis is also just as large.

Thanks for the reply Phil. Guess the wait continues will wait and see what CES brings.

Hi,

Has anyone seen a review of the 270? Considering an upgrade next year and considering a number of projectors. Sony 270, jvc n5 or 7900 , or epson 9400.

Hi I posted on Dec the 5th on my new VW570ES and Panasonic 820 uhd blu ray player ( I have Oppo 205, Sony X 800 and XBox OneX) the Panasonic works the best with HDR using the optimiser setting.
I said I was going to test it on 3D blu rays, and its all good news. My VW500ES projector was nil on crosstalk, but picture was dull on 3D after about 400 hrs. Per bulb, as I'm real 3D fan I purchased new bulbs regularly. But the extra brightness and lens sharpness on the VW570ES gives a bright and punchy picture with real blacks and and super colour depth with once again no crosstalk. I use my oppo 205 for 3d by the way. Avatar 3D was the best I have ever seen it (3m dia screen from 15 ft) I saw it in imax cinema twice on its release and there was not the iridesant colours I saw with the 570.
Using Panasonic 820 for 4K uhd HDR discs I still prefer the projector to my 75ZD9 even though that has Dolby Vision.
Surprised no other owners have comented, I have not posted here for long time but felt I had to say what I have experienced. This is my 4th projector in12 years stared with Panasonic PT 1000 3 chip LCD top tech at time.
cheers Selwyn

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom