Sony VPL-VW550ES 4K HDR Projector @ IFA 2016

We will have a review sample as soon as possible.

Really interested in this one please review at earliest opportunity:)

I can only see the difference between the 520 as a higher contrast ratio
300,00 to 350,000 to 1.
Everything else on the features appears the same?

I really cannot understand why this is an update. Not a full hdmi 2.0 spec (the updated brochure still says 4k60p 4:2:0 at 8 bits). And also no full P3 coverage. Sony is really taking it easy and no real progress in their 4k projectors for the past 2 years. In my view it would have been better to just skip this so called upgrade and just release an actual upgrade end 2017.

ahh if no 18Gbps update then forget it I am not interested.

Older times - new plasma Tv better blacks new model - but the market is sprinting currently and not jogging so in the current market is it enough ?

From what some people have said, I don't think it is. It seems that the things that people wanted the last model to have, haven't been added to this one, and the CR improvement just isn't enough by itself.

same brightness but higher contrast means better blacks

Not really, they quote dynamic contrast, not native contrast. It could just be a more agressive DI with more artifacts.

The last of WCG and the lack of 18gb/s is still a dealbreaker for me.

It's been the same hardware for years now, that's not an upgrade more than the 520 was an upgrade, it's just putting lipstick on a pig so as not to look entirely outdated (which it is).

HDR is mostly pointless on a projector, so that really doesn't bring anything, especially with such poor native contrast.

Found this 4k60p 10bit input New @ 4.2.0 Chroma sampling.

There is no intrinsic benefit to the source upsampling to 4:4:4 or converting to RGB. With respect to UHD and HDMI it is actually beneficial if the conversion to 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB is, as much as possible, left to the display, as this reduces the HDMI bandwidth requirements.

image003_1280x1280.png

hdmi%20levels.jpg

Last edited:
Thx for the update but there is still some conflicting info. On the Sony UK site the VW550 brochure still says 4k60p in 4:2:0 8 bits. So either this brochure is a wrong copy and paste but I still have the feeling the VW550 is just the same hardware as a VW520 and not really an upgrade.

Last edited:
Have Sony had problems with the HDR on these projectors that Firmware has failed to correct? The HDR looks like a joke, looks like shite with a completely washed out picture. Knock it off and things look fine. Why has the 550 came out so soon? I can't help but be weary. These projectors are so expensive. They should also be finished better at the front with some writing on the lens and and a motorised door to reflect the premium price. Otherwise the build quality is fine.

Last edited:
So does it have 18Gps or or not??

Sony should confirm full specs as people are reporting ...

"The software update with the new "HDR contrast" control will also include HLG support and will indeed come to 520 and 320. Several "eye witnesses" at IFA have said that "HDR contrast" works really, really well and will make the Sony projectors have the best (and most "out of the box") HDR implementation yet.

Reality Creation has also been upgraded, but this is a hardware-based feature that the 520/320 will not get.

Also it is definitely confirmed that both HDMI inputs on the 550 are full 18 Gbps inputs.

Asked for a 4K FI, the Sony representatives said they're working on it, but for this generation of projectors it just wasn't possible b/o the hardware requirements.

Ekki (from Cine4Home) who did the presentation also showed the 550 in a mini shootout with the JVC X5000 (RS400). With UHD material, the Sony was significantly sharper and HDR looked better as well.

Interestingly, Ekki was also able to show how JVC "cheats" its way around the 4K FI problem. As we know, with UHD material the current JVCs do have a working FI; we didnt't know that they only use half the pixels of the original picture
redface.gif
This was demonstrated with three 4K fotos: 1. Woman, 2. Forrest, 3. Hybrid: 1st pixel from Woman, 2nd pixel from Forrest, 3rd pixel from Woman, 4th pixel from Forrest and so on. What did the e-shifting JVC show? 1. Woman, 2. Forrest, 3. Woman
eek.gif
The third picture was indeed identical to the first one, proving that the e-shift actually used only every 2nd pixel of the original 4K foto and hence all the "forrest pixels" from the hybrid foto were just gone!"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom