Sony VPL VW500ES - New mid level 4k projector

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spotted this on AVS earlier. Don't know how legit it is..being touted as the 95ES replacement, a full 4k mid-entry pj by the looks of it.

Sony VPL-VW100ES LCoS Projector

And some chatter on a French forum here:

SONY VPL-VW100ES SXRD 4K UHD 3D Ready : Projecteurs digitaux - Cinetson - Hifi et Homecinema

Combine this with the 2 pronged 4k delivery approach Sony are taking (4k video via the Playstation 4 and the 4k server/black shiny thing!!) ..things are moving along slowly. I think things would move along universally once the new HDMI standard has been agreed and Is ready to be implemented.

Last edited:
Been reading about that too - and also talk of it being HDMI 2.0 and 1500 lumens and not the 1000 lumens quoted on PJ reviews.
Looking forward to more info in the coming months :)

Any idea of price? I saw mentioned 12,999 over on AVS but this is probably dollars (but thinking about it that usually translates to the same in pounds :rolleyes:). Looks like I made the right call buying a stop gap projector this time...by the time I'm bored with it there might be a replacement for this replacement. :D I'll follow the threads with interest though as it's good to see the trickle down effect finally happening. :smashin:

I saw on a french site that mentioned €9999, but in reality it needs to be sub £9k and even maybe £8k to get folks buying in any numbers, AND of course movies movies movies to play on them.

It will be interesting when JVC have the roll out of their new models in Oct/Nov surely they must bring out a genuine 4Kpj this year rather than e-shift3?

I saw on a french site that mentioned €9999, but in reality it needs to be sub £9k and even maybe £8k to get folks buying in any numbers, AND of course movies movies movies to play on them.

It will be interesting when JVC have the roll out of their new models in Oct/Nov surely they must bring out a genuine 4Kpj this year rather than e-shift3?

I'm going to put a small bet down that its e-shift 3. If HDMI 2.0 isn't quite there or the cost is still too high (like the price indication for the 100ES), then its going to be another evolution year. Already some of the chip manufacturers are stating that HDMI 2.0 chips won't be in volume readiness until early 2014 based on the current expectation if standard finalization mid year.

Keith, I think it's unlikely to be £8k or less. Times are hard, but it's new tech..JVCs X95 has an rrp around £10k so I there's no reason for Sony to come in that low. I'd fathom a guess of around £10-12k. That way the 1000Es can remain at the top of the tree and the VW100 a level below.

I agree with Jon. If Sony release this once the HDMI 2.0 can be implemented then latest potential customers can rest easy knowing they are safe to rock n roll. We'll have 2 delivery systems by the end of the year, so there's not too much concern with the material. If anyone thinks we'll be having a physical 4k media/bluray..I can't see that happening.

JVC have done a good job with the eshift marketing..a lot of people are thinking it's 4k until they start to have a dig and realise it is infact natively 1080p.

It depends Asif if that €9999 was to happen a £ price should be £9k if they do a proper conversion rate (which may not happen) also surely this year there has to be someone other than Sony with a 4K pj. If not agreed Sony can charge what they like and £10k+ is far more a likely price than £9k.

Regards 4K movies, without physical media I don't see it catching on as quick, download streaming is not good enough (yet) and may not be for a long time. With new codecs out I don't see why they can't do a quad bluray. That way we can get a quality image rather than having to wait days for a download and even then it will be pretty huge.

Anyway whilst I want 4k to come and as quick as possible I will need it to be less than £4-5k before I shall be able to go for it.

kbfern said:
Anyway whilst I want 4k to come and as quick as possible I will need it to be less than £4-5k before I shall be able to go for it.

Same here...4k in every sense. ;)

It depends Asif if that €9999 was to happen a £ price should be £9k if they do a proper conversion rate (which may not happen) also surely this year there has to be someone other than Sony with a 4K pj. If not agreed Sony can charge what they like and £10k+ is far more a likely price than £9k.

Regards 4K movies, without physical media I don't see it catching on as quick, download streaming is not good enough (yet) and may not be for a long time. With new codecs out I don't see why they can't do a quad bluray. That way we can get a quality image rather than having to wait days for a download and even then it will be pretty huge.

I think Sony are a bit more confident in leading the way as they have their own studio to provide the 4k material whereas as manufacturers like JVC will feel more comfortable once the new HDMI spec is finalised and ready for integration..that will then be the industry standard and any material delivery system will have to comply with that standard.

As much as I'd like to see a physical media..When it happens, I think it will be after 2.0 is implemented..again manufacturers will know what spec they are working to.

The sooner all this moves along, the sooner we'll have a 4-5k price tag:smashin:

The sooner all this moves along, the sooner we'll have a 4-5k price tag:smashin:

Too true. Especially regarding whether there will be any kind of physical media: Personally I'd prefer this option otherwise you're going to be downloading, what? Maybe 50Gb or 100Gb per film when currently my monthly usage is around 30Gb and my download speed is just under 40Mbps.

Too true. Especially regarding whether there will be any kind of physical media: Personally I'd prefer this option otherwise you're going to be downloading, what? Maybe 50Gb or 100Gb per film when currently my monthly usage is around 30Gb and my download speed is just under 40Mbps.

Yep, I'm with you on that Kelvin..you can't beat something tangible in your hand for which you've forked out a few notes. I'm sure the physical media will get there eventually, but I can't see it being the introduction to 4k material.

Although it doesn't address the download caps, the one big deal that was made about the Ps4 was its ability to download and update in standby mode. If Sony present a solution that is immediately compaitable with VW1000es, then I'm going to be onboard from the off and I'll also give my thoughts on it:smashin:

I'll say "o.k." when 4k is £4k.

Be interesting to see what price this comes out, was thinking of upgrading my projector when the new models come out, but may wait another 12 months and get a reasonable 4k at the end of next year. Of course if its still say 10k then we're looking at a few years until 4k becomes affordable for me.

Plus an extra year would mean that there may be some content :)

Love the 4K for 4K comment as well. You should be in marketing! :smashin:

Theres a hidden advantage of a 4K (3840x1920) panel as well...Finally the videophiles amongst us can watch 720p and 1080p perfectly on the same TV/projector without losing anything in the scaling department.

I mentioned this in passing a fair while ago here

Jas.

You wouldn't really want to use a box filter (i.e 4 pixels perfectly copying a single pixel to make it 4 times larger) to scale 720 or 1080 as the image would look like 720 from a 720 pj or 1080 from a 1080 pj zoomed optically larger. You'd really want to use a good scaling algorithm to interpolate pixels so that you retain the 4k pixel size and apparent sharpness/detail, especially if you sit close enough for 4K to be worth it.

Scaling can be a good thing if done right. Pixel to pixel is a nice idea but no one would really watch 720 in window within a higher resolution pj and then zoom it up to fill the screen. Or would they?

Gary

IFA-TV

Live video link to Sony press launch starting at 3.15.

details are up and have been a while ;) :D

Well if the price of the 500ES is between £9-10k that should steal the thunder from JVC's top two models to be launched this year as why pay £7-10k for a 1080p e-shift machine when you can have a true 4k machine with auto calibration for the same price or a couple of thousand more.

With the announcement today of hdmi 2.0 that should speed up other manufacturers into the 4k market sooner rather than later. I wonder if JVC may bring out new models even sooner than Nov 2014 as I am sure there will be others doing the same.

4k seems to be gathering pace daily so by this time next year prices should have fallen quite a bit, you only have to look at 4k tv prices they are falling almost weekly and not by the odd hundred or so.

Sky have done a test 4k transmission last weekend of a footie game that went very well although they have said they will not roll out until hdmi 2.0 is finalised, well it has been announced today so we could see Sky 4k transmissions late next year, hopefully a 4k bluray disc will also be sorted by then too.

Well if the price of the 500ES is between £9-10k that should steal the thunder from JVC's top two models to be launched this year as why pay £7-10k for a 1080p e-shift machine when you can have a true 4k machine with auto calibration for the same price or a couple of thousand more.

With the announcement today of hdmi 2.0 that should speed up other manufacturers into the 4k market sooner rather than later. I wonder if JVC may bring out new models even sooner than Nov 2014 as I am sure there will be others doing the same.

4k seems to be gathering pace daily so by this time next year prices should have fallen quite a bit, you only have to look at 4k tv prices they are falling almost weekly and not by the odd hundred or so.

Sky have done a test 4k transmission last weekend of a footie game that went very well although they have said they will not roll out until hdmi 2.0 is finalised, well it has been announced today so we could see Sky 4k transmissions late next year, hopefully a 4k bluray disc will also be sorted by then too.

By Jove Keith, you don't hang about with the price falling planning:smashin: I think they should put you in charge of new format introductions..things would only be expensive for a week, after that everyone could be an early adapter on the cheap!

Have to say though, the price for the 500es is cheap for what it is. I can't understand anyone like you've rightly pointed out, going for a gimmicky, non-true 4k solution when for the price of the flagship Jvc, a true 4k pj could be had, hdmi 2 compatible with the access to the Sony 4 puck for 4k movies:thumbsup:

Do they do them in white? ;):D

(Just planing ahead for when they drop to £1 just after Christmas ;) ).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom