SONY VPL-VW50 down with a bump

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ballistix999, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Mine just failed. Turned it on (650hrs on the clock) and it's at half brightness. Tried reset to defaults, everything, lamp seems fine, looks like something to do with the Iris logic?

Pretty ****** off to be honest. Sony now want it for 10 days and I have to do without (or rather small 6 yo used to using it during the week and weekends has to do without).

Expected more from Sony in terms of loan out whilst replacing...also V scared I'm now not going to get my wonderfully converged unit back.

Anyone else heard of this sort of problem?

TT

2. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    OK, I've done some more investigation and anyone with this projector should read and take note! :). I've found it's the bulb. There are numerous posts on the "other" AV forums (avsforums) with many people hitting 5-700 hours and the bulb failing.

This is what it looks like...and it dims to 40% of it's normal brightness. Basically these pictures show (I've circled the failure) that the bulb suffers a catastrophic failure of the lower section of the bulb where it is fused with the outer casing.

I've run mine on normal setting and it failed at just over 600 hours. Sony have told me they have a 90 day 200Hr warranty on bulbs, this sucks, and they know it. I believe given the total number of failures like this that people are seeing that there is a fundemental design weakness in the cooling for this projector. I would be very interested to see/hear if anyone else gets this over the next 2-3 months. I'm sure there are others...

Anyway. If you do witness this symptom please remove your bulb and see if you see a bubble (like a glass blower had blown the bulb, so to speak) at the bottom of the main element to the inner bulb. If you do (it looks a bit like a small fusion explosion) then the bulb has suffered the same failure due to overheating.

My new bulb is coming tomorrow and if I'm wrong I'll post...but I'm 99% sure this is a significant failure and a new bulb will fix it!

I've also heard that if left sometimes the bulbs can explode causing significant damage to the inside of the projector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    New buld fixed it. In fact, I'm amazed at how much I had got used to a dim picture. This has transformed the machine back to what I first saw when I bought it!

I'm talking to Sony now to see if they are interested in giving me a loan unit whilst they look at mine (got a 6yo that loves watching movies when he's been good, so giving it Sony without a loan is off the plan).

TT

4. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Please keep us informed with your progress, i hope mine don't go :(

be optimistic....be optimistic...... YEP MINE WILL BE OK......please :)

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, i have just over 500hrs on my bulb !

6. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Will definately keep you posted. Seriously, this has happened to quite a few people in the US, where the unit has been out longer I believe. I think Sony are listening but how intently is the question. I've sent a long and constructive email to a guy called Gary who is head of Technical / Warranty in this country I believe. I'll let you know how it goes fellas.

If you feel that the bulb is dim already (actually you won't have realised how dim it has got, then it will just go) then try a new one, incredible difference. If it fails like mine did, then you'll see a drop to 30-40% brightness which is curtains.

I'll let you know how my dialogue with Sony takes shape.

TT

7. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Cheers TT :smashin:

8. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    No reply yet, I've chased them in a second email, I'm not going to let this go. Told them I'll call at 3pm if not. I just want a definitive answer.

9. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, well, emails back and they will pick it up and won't give me a loan for 10 days, won't budge. I wasn't going to bother...then on inspection of the screen I've noticed that two pixels are failing!! OMG...what next!? Anyway they are stuck on green and now I know it's there I'm just going to have to let them take it away...Does anyone know what their position is on dead pixels? I didn't think this could happen with this technology.

Anyone know if Sony replace if two dead pixels next to each other go?

TT

10. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    No I'm afraid not..... You ain't having a lot of luck are you :thumbsdow:

11. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If they don't do something I'll never buy Sony again. I'm am so frustrated and upset and disappointed right now. For a 3K device I'm just very annoyed. I'll always see those bloody green dots now. Where do I go now? Guess I might as well let them have it...I don't want it back at the moment...

12. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I know how you feel about Sony I had a problem with a HS10 projector which dragged on for over a year, they came up trumps in the end giving me a new Pearl as a replacement upgrade for all my trouble so hang in there they’ll sort it out. If they don't you can always write to Sony UK’s MD that's what I did and that got the ball rolling...:smashin:

You mentioned the stuck pixels this is what put me off buying another LCD/SXRD type projector I feel there is too much trouble with heat related display problems with them, you would think projector manufacturers would be able to build a suitable air cooling system to take away all that excess heat without making the cost of the PJ’s prohibitive.

13. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Klippie thanks for the comments. Well I actually love the projector...but after just over 600 hrs it's all going pear shaped. :( I hope you are right and they sort it out. Actually a really nice guy that I met via these forums, who works for Sony, is going to have a word too. I hope it gets sorted out for sure!

On the heat side of things, maybe I should run it with the fan on high? What do other people do? Run it on high? Even though it's noisier?

Thanks

TT

14. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I didn't know you can change the fan speed :rolleyes:

15. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yeah you can, I think you set it to high altitude...that does it..

16. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    HHmmmm I don't know whether i like the sound of that.... Would that do more harm than good ?? :)

17. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Don't know. Mine is still on normal, anyone have any authoratitive answers on that?

18. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    It's going back this week. Nina, at PrimeSupport, who is very nice and helpful is going to see if she can expidite it for me. They are going to have a look at the pixels too...here's hoping..I can only have my expectations exceeded right now.

T

19. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Good luck with it......, Maybe you will get a VW60 as compensation if you push hard enough.......

20. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    We'll see. Just had the TNT packing email and it's going to the Netherlands for review/repair. I always worry about this kind of shipping, these devices are delicate and god knows what happens on route.. :S

T

21. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    With any luck they will either loose it or drop it, that would be a result..... :D

22. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm feeling more positive. Guy from Sony who I met and he was very kind to show me the Pearl before I bought has had a word with the guy in charge of Prime Support. Both have said they will look after me, so, it's over to them, it got picked up today! Fingers crossed. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

T

23. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    That's good news, looks like you're getting a result after all...:thumbsup:

24. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Certainly sounds more positive for you..... With any luck they will come up trumps... :)

25. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Here's hoping fellas, as every, thanks for the support/advice.

T

26. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi all, well, Sony sent it back, replaced the power supply as a precaution. However, more disappointingly the "engineers" have said that my two pixels side-by-side are "within specification". I'm sorry but that's not good enough;-

- I now have a useless resale value, no-one will want to buy this with two blown pixels
    - 7 months after purchase this has happened and I warn others that this could happen to them, for sure.
    - I'm now asking for clarification on what is "within specification" and what is "outside" depending on the answer I'll then write to the MD. From there who knows.

Extremely disappointed frankly. This was ALWAYS my fear with LCD "based" technology and I've been bitten in the arse. Should have stuck to DLP.

Keep you all posted...but sad day and very very disappointed.

T

27. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Your right thats not good enough, I really wish Sony would wake up and realise these things are not cheap £2.99 radio's people shell out their hard earned money for Sony's AV products and they should be bending over backwards to make sure their customers are looked after properly if something goes wrong. This reminds me of what I went through with them when my HS10 went belly up...:mad:

Don't give up keep at them and become a pain in their arse go and have a word with your local consumers office and explain you feel the projector has not been of reasonable quailty as its failed so soon after buying it.

One line to try on them though is suggest the overheating bulb may damaged the SXRD panel and caused the stuck pixels.

Go give them hell...:lesson:

28. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Too Blinkin right Don't take no for an answer.... You want it Replaced :mad:

29. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Called their co-head of PrimeSupport today. Had a constructive dialogue. Probably best if I don't post back here until I give them the second chance. They are taking it back for another look. I think I made sense when I said I was a little troubled when told to back it back to the reseller!!

Anyway, keep you posted, can't get any lower on this and desperately want them to sort it out with either a replacement or otherwise. I think I have a reasonable case here...pixels and lamp blowing at the same time...

Keep you posted guys...cross everything!

T

30. littlelynnie74

littlelynnie74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen many types of damage like this on lamps, from various manufacturers, and it tends to be caused by heat damage. You should check that the manufacturers guidelines regarding positioning is followed, and the air filter should be replaced every 300/600 hours. It's also a good idea to follow the correct shutdown procedure, i.e. turning the pj off at the unit and waiting until the green led stops flashing (goes red). After turning off it is generally recommended not to physically move the pj for an hour or so to give the lamp time to cool down.
    As to the pixel defects - voltages tend to be regulated on the main board before being applied to the LCD prisms, so it's unlikely that a defective psu caused these....sorry!