Sony VPL-VW365es is showing ghosting even without any input

ghoshsn

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Sony VPL-VW365 is showing some ghosting both with and without inputs. What could be causing this ? Any adjustment on the projector could resolve this?
Please see attached pictures.

thanks

Attachments

• D9ADD646-BACF-4B3C-A702-5A7D0C6E829B.jpeg
    D9ADD646-BACF-4B3C-A702-5A7D0C6E829B.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 162
Is it new or has it just started doing it?

Either way it looks like the panel alignment is off. This can be adjusted by the panel alignment function under the installation menu. Page 35 of the manual shows how.

This had been there for a while. Image looks okay from a distance but when you go very close you see this ghosting

The panel adjustment did not help. Still the same issue

What does the pattern look like when you go into the adjustment menu?. Is that also off?

Does adjusting it have any affect on the pattern. It should do, if it doesn't it suggests the mechanism for adjusting is broken.

My Sony VPL-VW365 is showing some ghosting both with and without inputs. What could be causing this ? Any adjustment on the projector could resolve this?
Please see attached pictures.

thanks

Has the unit suffered a knock or drop or been bashed at some point? It looks like a physical alignment issue. If it is under warranty (3 years prime support in UK) then contact Sony and get them to have it in for fixing. No point in fannying around with this or that, with it being that far out of true.

It looks like the red panel is out. I have a JVC and I can adjust it using the panel alignment to be this far out, hence me asking the question. However, it is this far out as @DB9S points out so if it has come away from the adjustment mechanism then it would need service\warranty.

It looks like the red panel is out. I have a JVC and I can adjust it using the panel alignment to be this far out, hence me asking the question. However, it is this far out as @DB9S points out so if it has come away from the adjustment mechanism then it would need service\warranty.

Indeed, you are correct in that it can be adjusted 15 pixels in either direction, however to 'suddenly' be this far out is a bit odd. Also, in the Sonys, there is no adjustment mechanism, it is a purely digital adjustment. Hence the manual stating that if it is used to its greatest extent resolution and picture quality can be affected.
The only physical adjustment is done at the factory, when it is set in place with glue or screws. :)

Thanks for your replies..It seems I will need to send it our for repairs. I think the unit is out warranty. I hope Sony has a an authorized service center in the Chicago area. Shipping this thing out would be rather cumbersome.

The thing is, the unit was never dropped. Its been in the same place for a long time. I "accidentally" discovered this issue, one day, when I was standing very close to the screen. Beyond 9 feet from the screen, the picture looks perfect ( at least to my eyes and other family members).

So does the panel adjustment make any noticeable difference on the other colours?

Thanks for your replies..It seems I will need to send it our for repairs. I think the unit is out warranty. I hope Sony has a an authorized service center in the Chicago area. Shipping this thing out would be rather cumbersome.

The thing is, the unit was never dropped. Its been in the same place for a long time. I "accidentally" discovered this issue, one day, when I was standing very close to the screen. Beyond 9 feet from the screen, the picture looks perfect ( at least to my eyes and other family members).
Have you ever done the panel alignment? If so, try resetting it and have another go. Wait until at least an hour passes to allow full warm up, before doing any new adjustments though. HTH.

So does the panel adjustment make any noticeable difference on the other colours?
It can make the colours look very off if the alignment isn't good. Akin to the rainbow effect on single chop DLP projectors but visible all the time.

Yes I did the panel adjustment as suggested by ChuckMountain. It did make a minor difference. Its a little better than before, but the overall issue still remains.

I will retry adjustment after leaving the projector on for an hour.

Yes I did the panel adjustment as suggested by ChuckMountain. It did make a minor difference. Its a little better than before, but the overall issue still remains.

I will retry adjustment after leaving the projector on for an hour.
Be sure to reset any current panel alignment first. Also, if you are confident in the controls and don't mind a dive into the workings, I can tell you a way to alter the base alignment too. PM me if interested. It might save a trip to the repairers.

Due to the primary color offset, I think it is more correct to call this a convergence problem, and not that the projector is showing ghosting. When ghosting there is typically one or two fainter images with some offset behind the main image, often from ringing in analog cables in the "good old days"....

If this happened suddenly, and dere is no way to adjust and close the gap with the internal menus for panel alignments, I will think something mechanically has cracked or moved in the light engine.

Be sure to reset any current panel alignment first. Also, if you are confident in the controls and don't mind a dive into the workings, I can tell you a way to alter the base alignment too. PM me if interested. It might save a trip to the repairers.

Yes please. How do I do alter the base alignment ?

Thanks DB9S ! I tried the procedure and it did make a big difference, even though its not 100% aligned...I guess I will live with this...

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 100
Thanks DB9S ! I tried the procedure and it did make a big difference, even though its not 100% aligned...I guess I will live with this...

Much better! Is that after tweaking the user panel alignment a bit more as well?

Good stuff.
That should help dial it in more as there is more range in the user alignment.
You have only done the base level with the DM settings thus far. (I trust you reset the user alignment before adjusting in the DM?) ;)
Pics of the final result would be great too if you can. :cool:

I tweaked the user alignment settings now...It's almost there. There is still a tiny bit of misalligment vertically, which cannot be rectified since I have already maxed out at the setting.

I guess I should not be very greedy, and be happy with what I have now...;)

I contacted Sony and they indicated that it may not be covered by warranty ( though its still under 3 years, but it was bought "open box" from Best Buy)...This saves me the hassle of dealing with Sony, shipping it out and ultimately $$$$$ spent.

My thanks to DB9S for all the help...You guys are the best !!

I tweaked the user alignment settings now...It's almost there. There is still a tiny bit of misalligment vertically, which cannot be rectified since I have already maxed out at the setting.

I guess I should not be very greedy, and be happy with what I have now...;)

I contacted Sony and they indicated that it may not be covered by warranty ( though its still under 3 years, but it was bought "open box" from Best Buy)...This saves me the hassle of dealing with Sony, shipping it out and ultimately $$$$$ spent.

My thanks to DB9S for all the help...You guys are the best !!

Any pics of the final result? :D

Good stuff.
That should help dial it in more as there is more range in the user alignment.
You have only done the base level with the DM settings thus far. (I trust you reset the user alignment before adjusting in the DM?) ;)
Pics of the final result would be great too if you can. :cool:
Yes I did..I did reset the user setting alignment before the base adjusting....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom