Sony VPL-VW300ES Owners thread

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Not sure I understand what you mean?
I mean you have a 4k projector and Sony has spent 10 years developing their upscaling so when you use your projector you are getting a 4k image even from your old blu-rays. To see the difference you would have a have a 1080p projector and 4k projector running side-by-side.

bandyka

You are not blown away by UHD simply because you are used to the stunning up-scaling of the PJ, go back to a 1080P PJ then compare yours then you will appreciate it:) In any case I have the Samsung player and yes UHD definitely looks better than 1080P. On the player I manually select the resolution depending on the movie and I use "user mode" so I can properly set the brightness and contrast ON THE PLAYER not the PJ. Dynamic range is auto. I am very pleased with the UHD image I see.

Definitely more detail color and sharper resolution.

xar

Ah. Got you. I did move from a jvc x500 and lumagen to the 300es (no lumagen) and I much preferred the Sony from day 1. So yes, maybe Sony have just spoiled me with super duper blu Ray upscaling!

bandyka

these were taken before I made any changes to the player. It looks better now.

bandyka

Not sure I understand what you mean?

On a related note, is there any way to benefit from the WCG on the Sony? I.e. The x.v. Colour space settings, or not using rec 709 for example?
No, only the 320 can do WCG.

bandyka

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Ah. Got you. I did move from a jvc x500 and lumagen to the 300es (no lumagen) and I much preferred the Sony from day 1. So yes, maybe Sony have just spoiled me with super duper blu Ray upscaling!
My pic above showing same image from 1080p projector and VW300 upscaled image.

bandyka

bandyka

OK just wanted to see what support said:) Also your screenshots don't look so crash hot is it because of the camera?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
OK just wanted to see what support said:) Also your screenshots don't look so crash hot is it because of the camera?
Screenshot was with iPhone, just took a very close up to see resolution differences.

bandyka

ahh iPhone, that explains it ;)

bandyka

Here is a shot from UHD Journey to Space for some detail and sharpness. Actually it looks sharper on my screen.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Here is a shot from UHD Journey to Space for some detail and sharpness. Actually it looks sharper on my screen.
I'll try and get some screen shots tomorrow once I've had a play.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. I did have a quick look at the Revenant UHD and a regular 1080p and did notice the 1080p looked like it was being upscaled very well.
Quick resolution comparison pic of HW40 and VW300 (1080p source)
View attachment 728512
It's very plain to see the bad convergence on the 300 shots, to be very blunt i could definately not live with that, did Sony support give you an idea on cost to fix it ?, if that's a no go I would look for a refund from whoever you purchased it from if bad panel alignment was not mentioned in the advert.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
It's very plain to see the bad convergence on the 300 shots, to be very blunt i could definately not live with that, did Sony support give you an idea on cost to fix it ?, if that's a no go I would look for a refund from whoever you purchased it from if bad panel alignment was not mentioned in the advert.
The projector is going back - I was informed by Sony (after inquiring about a repair) that is was a 'scrapped' projector and shouldn't be in circulation. I did try panel alignment max 30 on the vertical and max 30 on zones but was still too low. Sony wouldn't touch it even if it was sent for a repair and paid for.

I also found it was a bit darker and noisier than my HW40 so would be best to wait for the newer brighter models to become affordable.

Last edited:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Well I'm back to the HW40 & scaler [emoji17]
The quick play I did have with the VW300 did look very good with 1080p upscaled. When I used the Panasonic UB900 UHD player it did seem quite dark compared to the HW40. I think I will wait until more lumens before affordable and able to support HDR.
Quick screenshot comparing both models, HW40 calibrated, VW300 on forum settings (bright image is HW40).
ImageUploadedByAVForums1466595436.927761.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1466595451.177602.jpg

Last edited:

panman40

Distinguished Member
Well I'm back to the HW40 & scaler [emoji17]
The quick play I did have with the VW300 did look very good with 1080p upscaled. When I used the Panasonic UB900 UHD player it did seem quite dark compared to the HW40. I think I will wait until more lumens before affordable and able to support HDR.
Quick screenshot comparing both models, HW40 calibrated, VW300 on forum settings.
View attachment 729308
View attachment 729309
The only sad face smileys should be Russ and the guy who bought your HW40 in the classifieds looking at those pictures.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
The only sad face smileys should be Russ and the guy who bought your HW40 in the classifieds looking at those pictures.
You can't beat the HW40 for the money and has enough brightness for my react screen. Mine is calibrated and has the scaler so is as good as it is going to get.
I'm happy for now [emoji4]

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Hi, can I just check that you got the 300es to accept a 12-bit signal ? Was that direct or through a receiver ?
I ask as I wasn't aware you could get it to accept anything other than 8-bit.
Going through Anthem but Anthem doesn't process, I think it just passes through.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
The 300 looks pretty pants against the 40. I wonder how much this is down to the dodgy panels.
The VW300 does have lower lumens. I did get a screenshot above of 1080p upscaled and that did look brighter, might be the signal should have been 4:2:0.
HW40 top
View attachment 729509

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett