Sony VPL-VW270ES owners thread

Thank you. I was hoping for a response like this ;) Viewing will be a bit tense the next few nights though.

My previous JVC projector(s) would sometimes shut down after the relay in the power filter switched, I figure because of a minor power fluctuation or something. It's an old building I live in, but this hasn't happened for quite a while now, and I did not hear the relay in the filter last night, although I was walking across the room when it happened, so I can't rule it out.

I've registered for Prime Support now, so hopefully they're worthwhile if I do need assistance.

Sony Prime Support have been very good in my experience, although their wheels can turn slowly.
Take and keep video/audio evidence of any issues as they will ask you to provide such if you register an issue. Also if you do get an issue coming up, it may be prudent to register it has happened during the warranty period, so if necessary you will have evidence that it has been ongoing and not just a one off.

Hi guys - I have a,very simple question to which I think I know the answer ! Is there any way to temporarily blank the (whole) screen ? I'm an ex-cinema projectionist, and I run a lot of the old movies from the 60s-70s which have Overtures/Entracte/Exit Music. In the cinema these would have been played with a blank screen (curtains closed), but most DVDs/BDs show an Overture/Intermission/Exit Music card, which is annoying.

With my previous projector I could blank the screen temporarily from the remote, but I can't see a similar function on the Sony. The best I have found is to change the Input from HDMI #1 to HDMI #2 (disconnected), which kind of works, but is (quite literally) clunky. Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any help !

I have vague recollections that there is an image mute function on Sony projectors but I cannot remember how you would access it.

I have vague recollections that there is an image mute function on Sony projectors but I cannot remember how you would access it.
I see a PIC MUTING button on the remote for e.g. the Sony VPL-BW5 but not on the VW270 handset. Maybe they dropped that function. Or maybe it's still there but undocumented (I wish).

I see a PIC MUTING button on the remote for e.g. the Sony VPL-BW5 but not on the VW270 handset. Maybe they dropped that function. Or maybe it's still there but undocumented (I wish).
I have seen the pic muting function in action on a 4k machine a few years ago, but cannot remember how it was activated.
I trust you have tried the other handset on the 270 to check?

I trust you have tried the other handset on the 270 to check?
Sorry - my post was misleading. I only saw that remote in the manual for the BW5 (and others) on the net, I don't have one myself. Though it's a good thought - if I can get a cheap used remote for one of the earlier projectors from EBay it might we worth trying it out on the 270 . . .

Sorry - my post was misleading. I only saw that remote in the manual for the BW5 (and others) on the net, I don't have one myself. Though it's a good thought - if I can get a cheap used remote for one of the earlier projectors from EBay it might we worth trying it out on the 270 . . .
If it is cheap enough that you don't mind if it doesn't work, then it has to be worth a try I guess.

If it is cheap enough that you don't mind if it doesn't work, then it has to be worth a try I guess.
Actually I realised I don't have to buy/try another remote. I have a Logitech Harmony programmable remote. So I simply downloaded the commands for the BW5, which include Picture Muting. Then I fired up the 270, pointed the remote at it, and pressed the Picture Mute button. And bingo - it worked ! So it looks like the function is still there - Sony just didn't give us a button on the remote to invoke it.

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys !

Actually I realised I don't have to buy/try another remote. I have a Logitech Harmony programmable remote. So I simply downloaded the commands for the BW5, which include Picture Muting. Then I fired up the 270, pointed the remote at it, and pressed the Picture Mute button. And bingo - it worked ! So it looks like the function is still there - Sony just didn't give us a button on the remote to invoke it.

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys !
Good stuff!
I knew it was there as I had seen it in use, but the lack of a button is a bit short sighted I feel.
It is a useful feature.

Seems like the definition of short-sightedness ;)

I've joined the party late :) I've upgraded from Optoma UHD550x , getting a native 4K was always on my to get wish list, but until now they have been too expensive for my budget, but since this model is discontinued I got a decent deal and took the plunge. I haven't installed the PJ yet waiting on a delivery, was wondering what 3D glasses would people recommend using with the 270 ?

Has anyone had issues with a noisy fan on their vw270? The fan on mine has become noticeably nosier as of late compared to what it was when first installed.

Sounds like a small helicopter is inside the projector.

The projector is installed without an enclosure and it is relatively close to my seating position - both of which I realise does not help. I do know some fan noise is to be expected but it was definitely quieter before. I doubt that my hearing has improved as I have gotten older :laugh:

link to a video

Sounds like an email or call to Sony prime support is in order. Give them a call pronto if in warranty period. Or even if not.

Sounds like an email or call to Sony prime support is in order. Give them a call pronto if in warranty period. Or even if not.
Still under warranty fortunately. Sony agreed to service the unit. Waiting to schedule the pick up. Drawback of course is no projector for a time :(

Cool, good result.
If you are on the UK, they can have it back in your hands in about 10 days. Depending on parts availability that is. And depending if it goes back to Wales or Tilburg.
I keep an old projector to hand just in case I am ever without mine.

Cool, good result.
If you are on the UK, they can have it back in your hands in about 10 days. Depending on parts availability that is. And depending if it goes back to Wales or Tilburg.
I keep an old projector to hand just in case I am ever without mine.
Some bad withdrawal symptoms coming up 😅 Considering how everything is so delayed these days, getting it back in 10 days would be a great result!

Some bad withdrawal symptoms coming up 😅 Considering how everything is so delayed these days, getting it back in 10 days would be a great result!
Great result! Got my Sony projector back in under 4 weeks. A bit of a wait for spare parts. All 7 fans replaced under warranty. Its quiet again :)

Does the /3 make a difference?

92D0B0C1-69D2-4D0B-9876-5BFD1C822730.jpeg

That probably denotes a batch or revision or something. I have seen similar numerical differences on projectors that are the same model but different manufacturing dates.

Thanks. I figured. The left one was bought about 10 months ago and the right one I received yesterday, after it being out of stock almost everywhere for weeks.

Thanks. I figured. The left one was bought about 10 months ago and the right one I received yesterday, after it being out of stock almost everywhere for weeks.
Hi Naiera permit myself to contact you . i was looking since several days concerning same issue you reported one year ago. meaning Projector stop & restart for me after 2H with only green light flashing at start . how did you fixed it? lamp swap?

I discovered that it happens (sometimes) when I turn the lights in my bedroom off. I am not kidding. It has never happened while I was sitting in front of it, watching stuff, but the last two times I observed it I had just turned off the lights in my bedroom. I’ve made sure not to do that while the projector is running and it has not happened since.

The building I live in is 80 years old and the electrics aren’t great. It wasn’t even grounded until I asked about it at some point maybe eight years ago.

According to the manul there should be a "3D format" option under 3D settings but I only have "2D-3D display sel." and "3D Depth adjust". Where do I find this option? I am unable to view 3D content encoded in side-by-side format.

Thanks

Are you feeding it a 3D signal?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom