Sony VPL-VW270ES owners thread

Thanks for the replies. I have re-checked the settings and they are all as they should be. I guess it must be the HDMI Cable which is this one and 10m long?
4K HDMI Cable 10M HDMI Lead - Ultra High-Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b Cord 4K@60Hz UHD 2160p

Problem is HDR from my UB9000 BD player is fine, it's just the SKY Q box

The main difference is that the UB9000 is running at 24p, which will use 8.9Gbps (or thereabouts), sky at 60hz will be using over 12Gbps. This is quite an increase.

If we look at HDMI cables for the moment, copper has a natural resistance to it, so over longer lengths this resistance builds up, at which point the bandwidth the cable can take starts to diminish. This is why people often use AOC (active optical cables) or HDBaseT for HDMI connections over length.

Some of these 'cheaper' cables do work, but it can be hit and miss, and they can stop working at a later date, as they are not designed to transmit these bandwidths over these distances, so are really working past their potential.

The main difference is that the UB9000 is running at 24p, which will use 8.9Gbps (or thereabouts), sky at 60hz will be using over 12Gbps. This is quite an increase.

If we look at HDMI cables for the moment, copper has a natural resistance to it, so over longer lengths this resistance builds up, at which point the bandwidth the cable can take starts to diminish. This is why people often use AOC (active optical cables) or HDBaseT for HDMI connections over length.

Some of these 'cheaper' cables do work, but it can be hit and miss, and they can stop working at a later date, as they are not designed to transmit these bandwidths over these distances, so are really working past their potential.

Thanks for that. Really helpful and I'll look into the various options you have suggested. You gotta love this AV game!!!!!

Hi,

I just made the acquisition of a VPL-270ES (connected to a brand new Denon AVC-X4700H with an optical fiber HDMI cable). The first couple days were just great, Apple TV 4K working perfectly well, PS4 FIFA 21 beautiful...

Until last night when I noticed that half the screen was not as "sharp" as the other half. You can see kind of artefacts on the background and the image looks like much more purple on the right side (not as much as on the pictures below though).

I just checked again this morning and the problem is no longer but I'm getting concerned that it may come back after a few hours of use.

Any idea what it could be and what would be the cause?

Thanks,

François
IMG_4082.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4078.jpeg

It looks like a colorspace hickup, however that dont explain the split screen, if it happens again try force it to RGB then 422 and then 444 see if it has a effect.

@FrancoisT Are those images (with a distinct split down the centre of the screen) exactly what you see?
You need to let these warm up for about an hour before proper critical viewing.
If that is happening then it is not right and you need to get onto your retailer and get a replacement.
Where are you located.

Also, make sure you have your HDMI ports set to Enhanced Format and set Dynamic Range to Limited or Auto.

@FrancoisT Are those images (with a distinct split down the centre of the screen) exactly what you see?
You need to let these warm up for about an hour before proper critical viewing.
If that is happening then it is not right and you need to get onto your retailer and get a replacement.
Where are you located.
Thanks for your response. I'm based in Belgium. I would not dare saying that these images are "exactly" what I see, the pictures are making the problem more extreme than what it is. But the "halo" or "ghost" issue was very obvious and you could not miss that it was only impacting half of the screen (very precisely half of it actually).
This happened after about 4 hours of use if not more. I'll test it again later tonight to see if it happens again.

Thanks for your response. I'm based in Belgium. I would not dare saying that these images are "exactly" what I see, the pictures are making the problem more extreme than what it is. But the "halo" or "ghost" issue was very obvious and you could not miss that it was only impacting half of the screen (very precisely half of it actually).
This happened after about 4 hours of use if not more. I'll test it again later tonight to see if it happens again.
Sorry, what I meant was, do you see that line down the screen with different image quality on each side as your pictures show?

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. It's clearly the projector. Just tried with a different source (laptop) and HDMI cable and the problem persists. The line is just in the middle:
IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg

Also, I changed/reset all settings. RGB, 422, 444, etc. no difference.

Is it possible can take back to retailer and try there ... will eliminate any system issue of yours ? Also another set of eyes might pick up a setting or something. If indeed kaput they can advise on rectification options then there

sounds like only just got projector, being so new I’d be working with retailer for a satisfactory solution :)

Thanks for your response. It's clearly the projector. Just tried with a different source (laptop) and HDMI cable and the problem persists. The line is just in the middle:
View attachment 1422742
View attachment 1422744
That is in no way right and looks to be a physical problem inside the optical block. Dislodged polariser or suchlike.
Get on to your dealer and/or Sony Prime Support straight away, show them this evidence and get it repaired, or preferably replaced, if you havent had it long.
No amount of playing with the settings will likely cure such an issue.
Dont delay, get it sorted.

Just a quick update and would appreciate some thoughts if possible. I have now changed the cable to the smallest length I can get away with (4m) and gone for a decent one with 8k capability to give me some future proofing. The issue I was having remains but I have narrowed it down.

Sky HDR broadcasts (Sky Cinema)are working on the projector
Amazon Prime HDR broadcasts working
The only issue is HDR on the Sky Netflix app which fails every time on the projector but works on my TV and it also works when using the app on my Panasonic UB9000 to the projector.

I do have workarounds but for convenience would love to be able to use the Sky Netflix app but can't seem to get it to work with HDR content to this projector. Probably a long shot but any further ideas?

Just a quick update and would appreciate some thoughts if possible. I have now changed the cable to the smallest length I can get away with (4m) and gone for a decent one with 8k capability to give me some future proofing. The issue I was having remains but I have narrowed it down.

Sky HDR broadcasts (Sky Cinema)are working on the projector
Amazon Prime HDR broadcasts working
The only issue is HDR on the Sky Netflix app which fails every time on the projector but works on my TV and it also works when using the app on my Panasonic UB9000 to the projector.

I do have workarounds but for convenience would love to be able to use the Sky Netflix app but can't seem to get it to work with HDR content to this projector. Probably a long shot but any further ideas?
I don't think the sky netflix app supports HDR. Hence I use my TVs built in app for netflix. I use an nvidia Shield TV on my projector for the same reason.

I don't think the sky netflix app supports HDR. Hence I use my TVs built in app for netflix. I use an nvidia Shield TV on my projector for the same reason.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The Sky Netflix app definitely supports HDR and it works perfectly on my TV, just not the projector

Hi, thanks for your reply. The Sky Netflix app definitely supports HDR and it works perfectly on my TV, just not the projector
Well there you go. It didn't last time I tried it, but as you can only get sky 4k on one TV, I just use native internal apps or devices known to work.

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of potentially upgrading from a Panasonic PT-AT6000E to this Sony 270 projector, has anyone else made this jump? Trying to work out if it's worth it. Not sure if resolution is everything, I love my deep blacks, so not sure if a high end 1080p deep black projector from 2012 is better than an entry level native 4k projector from 2018.

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

Is the Panasonic LCD? If so, you will LOVE the lack of SDE if nothing else!

Is the Panasonic LCD? If so, you will LOVE the lack of SDE if nothing else!

It is LCD yeah, never demoed any other projector type but at the same time can't see any con's with it, it's 8 years old now and every time I watch a movie I'm like there's nothing here I'm not happy with and can't see how any other projector can be better, it's so sharp, colourful and detailed. Also regarding SDE (Screen Door Effect), surely that only becomes an issue when viewing text on screen? Which is like rarely?

It is LCD yeah, never demoed any other projector type but at the same time can't see any con's with it, it's 8 years old now and every time I watch a movie I'm like there's nothing here I'm not happy with and can't see how any other projector can be better, it's so sharp, colourful and detailed. Also regarding SDE (Screen Door Effect), surely that only becomes an issue when viewing text on screen? Which is like rarely?
Seems to me that you have answered your own question.
If you are that happy with it, you will likely rue spending the money for what will likely not be a blow your head off improvement.

You will not see a lot of screendoor on a Panasonic as they used smoothscreen to stop screendoor (this was the equivilent of slightly defocusing the image). Panasonic used (older generation) LCD panels produced by Epson.

Screendoor can sometimes be seen on solid banks of colour i.e. sky/cloud, especially during motion, as there are reasonable size gops between pixels. Some of this can depend on the size of screen/seating distance etc.

The fill ratio on SXRD is far better, which meant they did not need smoothscreen (argubaly Panasonic did not either, but no way of turning it off).

SXRD is a deriviatve of LCD but uses reflective technology, this allows for better black levels and contrast (the Sony will have better contrast than your Panasonic).

The HW range were deemed to be the competitors to the Panasonic PT range, and the VW range sit above the HW range.

It has been a long time since I have seen a Panasonic, but I did have some HW clients move from the PT range and were very happy.

Is the VW270 the best option for the upgrade? Depending on budget the Epson TW range (at less money), and JVC N-Series (more money) would be other options to look at, as they have options the Sony does not.

I have asked this before and still no solution. My HDR menu item in the Expert settings under the picture menu is not there. x.v.color is followed by Color Space. Can anyone tell me why and even better how do I get it back so I can have set it to the mode I like (auto on the TV input as this is what I use for my Apple TV).

And is there a firmware upgrade available for this projector?

I have asked this before and still no solution. My HDR menu item in the Expert settings under the picture menu is not there. x.v.color is followed by Color Space. Can anyone tell me why and even better how do I get it back so I can have set it to the mode I like (auto on the TV input as this is what I use for my Apple TV).

And is there a firmware upgrade available for this projector?
Latest factory load is 2.100 I believe. What does yours have on it?
Do you have XVcolour set to 'on'?
It does absolutely nothing without an XV Colour compliant source device. i.e. a video camera usually.
So switch Xv off and it should reappear.:D

It looks like you say a joke by someone qualified:)
x.v.colour is indeed off. And I cannot find any firmware anywhere. Have to check the version tomorrow. What else would cause the HDR menu to be hidden? The input is recognized as HDR10 and colorspace 2020.

I have included a couple of pictures

Attachments

• 20210116_125700.jpg
    20210116_125700.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210116_125749.jpg
    20210116_125749.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Meanwhile I got the idea to check with a BD 4K HDR disk and this give me the option. So the issue lies with the Apple TV. This cannot run in 4k HDR mode with the projector! The trick is to put it in KK SDR mode and then set it to match content, subsequently set HDR to AUTO. This blocks me from changing the gamma correction (I have 4 Gamma profiles for HDR depending on how dark the picture appears). Or I have to set HDR to the appropriate HDR format (HDR10 in most if not all cases). I wonder who is the genius behind Apple's logic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom