Sony VPL-VW270ES owners thread

Those comparisons is a joke, that guy is unikely unqualified to do reviews or comparisons.
It looks like you say a joke by someone qualified:)

Been watching this clip quite a bit:

I use my eyes for picture quality and this Sony just looks as good as the JVC to me.

In other youtube projector comparisons videos made by people with more technical understanding and knowledge about what they actually are doing, they often start by telling that you can not judge the projector picture quality from what you see in this video.

Remember that these projectors are not correctly calibrated, is filmed by an unknown 4K?? video camera (look at that camera lens barrel distortion), the highly processed and compressed video file is converted again when uploaded to youtube, is then only shown on your screen for you to see them with your eyes. It is very little if any, Sony or JVC projector picture quality left for you to see from youtube videos like that.

You actually need to see these projectors side by side in real life to see the differences an to know what picture quality they can give you.

It reminds me of videos like this

Judging high-end audio equipment when listen to the recorded setup only using internal ipad or laptop speakers.....

Last edited:
It reminds me of videos like this

Judging high-end audio equipment when listen to the recorded setup only using internal ipad or laptop speakers.....

Yah, I saw this sometime ago and wondered. And as you say quite doubtful for projector comparison as well. But like for sound (you do not know how it should sound) and if a film (or piece of music) is mastered on a particular speaker system it will sound completely different when played back on another. So in the end of the day you tune things to what you prefer wether sound or colour.

It looks like you say a joke by someone qualified:)
Subjective comparisons as on the video is useless, just pay atention to the settings of the projectors, if you have done a bit of calibration on these units those settings will raise some questions, first parameter would be to match lightoutput, grayscale and gamma tracking, take full advantage of the advanced calibration fratures to release the full potential of each projector, and turn off the damn ambient light, jesus.
These people are just trying to get someone to watch the videos, clicks these days = money, and 99,9% of the consumers have no clue what they are talking about and just swallow it unfiltered, its how the world has become self educating these days, based of meaningless nonsens posted on youtube.

Has anyone gone from a jvc x5900 or x7900 to this projector and prefer it. I am thinking of getting one.
Thanks

Has anyone gone from a jvc x5900 or x7900 to this projector and prefer it. I am thinking of getting one.
Thanks
You are better off with a Sony mate didn’t you see my link comparison they are the best! Besides this is a Sony thread not I love JVC thread!

You are better off with a Sony mate didn’t you see my link comparison they are the best! Besides this is a Sony thread not I love JVC thread!
Not seen that. Can you point me to that. Thanks

Richer Sounds guy I spoke to said Sony is the best too!

Never ask a store or a sales person whats the best, first they are not very often tecnically competent, and are verry often terrible biased towards the biggest profit.
I will say my first encounter with the SONY VPLVW270ES and the JVC N5 i was terrible disapointed of the N5, later on owning the sony and the JVC RS2000/ N7 at the same time, calibrating both, the JVC is a hole different level, first the 270 has no iris, limited lightoutput in comparison, and around 10000:1 vs 23000:1 native contrast, the sony calibration software is not capable of maintaining the bitresolution like the JVC, so banding is almost impossible to avoid, the JVC has a lot more bitdept/ fine graduation.
The sony do a better pixel resolution 1:1 but you need to tweak the service menu to get there, i prefer the sony lens, also the sony dont display any optical streaking, not sure if that might be contrast related, as the contrast might not be high enough to let it be seen.
The SONY 270 you need to plan your setup around the projector, as it dont have much flexibility, no lens memory no iris, so ull have to play with distance/ zoom to adjust lightoutput and contrast.
Comparing the JVC N5 and Sony VPL VW270ES is like comparing a banana to a apple, the sony max lightoutput is around the same as the minimum lightoutput on the JVC N5, to lower the light to same level as the sony you will need a JVC N7 as it has a lamp iris helping to close down the lightoutput.

JVC calibration is a piece of art, that is mostly treated wrong, it has huge potential if using the JVC calibration software right, there is so much more going on in between the measurement point on your calibration report, which can truly make a perfect calibration report be the worse picture ever, and thats not a uncommon sight.
In all fairness they are all good projectors, with positives and negatives, to truly have a opinion about it you should buy one of each, and get intimate with calibration on both, so that you can get the most of it. Nothing other than hands on experience matters in this world, others will tell you what you like to hear, or a opinion based on unknown conditions.

I sold the Sony VPL VW270ES as i found myself prefering a old JVC X500

Last edited:
Thanks
I have a JVC X5900 and just sold the SONY VPL VW270ES however prefering the old JVC X500, waiting to see what happens to JVC next generation 4K projectors. The X5900/ X7900 is significantly brighter projectors, as i see it you run a 106" screen, so a old JVC X500 would be perfect, or you will need the X7900 or N7 to be able to close down the light to calibrate on that screen. The Sony will likely work on longest trow low lamp mode, but as the lamp dims you dont have a way to recalibrate lightoutput.
When you have the X7900 i think you will get disapointed with the SONY VPL VW270ES

The sony will be with me tomorrow

The sony will be with me tomorrow
Do yourself the favor and calibrate both the Sony and JVC with equal lightoutput and gamma, make sure the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10% IRE gamma tracks properly without ringing, after that you can do a proper comparison.

The sony is very natural looking. But for 4k hdr the jvc is a lot better for colours and in depth and blacks. And is brighter.

The sony is very natural looking. But for 4k hdr the jvc is a lot better for colours and in depth and blacks. And is brighter.
What measured gamma and lightoutput do you have on the JVC and the SONY?

I've setup the sony as best I can. For blu-ray it's fine but for 4k hdr it is nowhere near as good as the jvc x7900 contrast and blacks and sharpness and brightness are much better on the jvc.

I will be putting my jvc back in place tomorrow, can't go back the way. I thought that the sony would have been better.

Hello,

Not sure if I'm allowed to start an owners thread but I couldn't find one so here goes! What's the worst that could happen?

Owned my 270 for a couple of weeks now having upgraded from an Optoma HD151X and personally I'm enjoying the visual improvements.

However, I can't say I understand the settings much. Some are relatively obvious but others less so. Even searching the manual or Google hasn't particularly helped. So, am I getting the best out of the machine or are there settings I should be tinkering with? I'd be very interested to learn from anyone else's experiences and I'm sure others new to the projector would be too.

One of the many things I'm yet to grasp is Reality Creation. Now I'm under the impression that the 270 upscales 1080P content as best it can to something approaching 4K. But, I'm still none the wiser if this happens automatically or whether I should be playing with settings. According to Google, but please correct me if I'm wrong, Reality Creation has something to do with upscaling. If so then this would appear to be on by default but then there are resolution settings within it. I had a bit of a fiddle but didn't know what I was doing and I couldn't see any obvious difference in picture quality so I gave up and decided to leave it alone.

One piece of information I can share with you so far is the 270's screen resolution when accepting an HDMI input from a PC. If I understand Sony's advert for the 270 on its website correctly, under Specifications, Display Resolution, it says Computer Signal Input, Maximum Display Resolution 1920 x 1080. With that in mind I was only expecting to get a 1080P resolution from my PC. Now, from my processor to the projector I use a 15m HDMI cable, apparently high speed 18Gbps and I've never experienced any issues at 1080P with my last projector. I did however get a few unexplained issues once I installed the 270 so I replaced the existing cable with a 15m Wyrestorm Active Optical HDMI Cable. Not only did this eliminate all the issues I was experiencing but the 270 now displays a 3840 x 2160 resolution from my PC and I'm still able to select Input Lag Reduction for gaming.

Anyway, I'd be really interested to hear from other owners as I'm keen to get the best out of the machine.

Thanks

Justin

Hi Justin,

I’ve just posted a new thread querying the HDMI output when connecting a VPL-VW270ES to a PC (in this case I have an ASUS RTX2080 TI graphics card) but then stumbled across your post.

I’ve ordered the projector primarily for 4K PC gaming but have since noted the technical specification stating the output is at 1080p when connected to a computer so have contemplated cancelling the order. However your post appears to indicate 4K is possible with an appropriate graphics card and HDMI lead?

Could you advise if you have experienced any issues otherwise this could be an expensive mistake!

Thanks

I've been noticing that the top and bottom black bars on my 270ES get lighter and darker depending on the brightness of the scene. Anyone know what would cause this? I thought they would just always be solid black since there is no picture information in those areas, or is it an optical effect I'm seeing? Light being reflected back at the screen somehow?

I previously had a BenQ W1070 and don't remember ever noticing this so I'm thinking it is being caused by the projector rather than the screen.

Thanks

Hi Justin,

I’ve just posted a new thread querying the HDMI output when connecting a VPL-VW270ES to a PC (in this case I have an ASUS RTX2080 TI graphics card) but then stumbled across your post.

I’ve ordered the projector primarily for 4K PC gaming but have since noted the technical specification stating the output is at 1080p when connected to a computer so have contemplated cancelling the order. However your post appears to indicate 4K is possible with an appropriate graphics card and HDMI lead?

Could you advise if you have experienced any issues otherwise this could be an expensive mistake!

Thanks

Hi all,

I've just been to Richer Sounds and linked up my PC to the VPL-VW270ES projector and can confirm it allows a 4K signal. I tried DCS World, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and Forza Horizon 4 all of which looked absolutely stunning in 4K. I now have to wait another 4 weeks for delivery but will be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a small problem and hoping someone can help. I havce recently upgraded to the Sky Q v3 box which supports HDR/HLG broadcasts. When trying to play a programme in HDR through Sky it fails on the projector, just refuses to start. It plays fine on my HDR TV though. Any thoughts?

Hi all, I have a small problem and hoping someone can help. I havce recently upgraded to the Sky Q v3 box which supports HDR/HLG broadcasts. When trying to play a programme in HDR through Sky it fails on the projector, just refuses to start. It plays fine on my HDR TV though. Any thoughts?
My first thought would be to check that HDMI on the projector is set to 'Enhanced Format' for both inputs to allow full bandwidth.
Then make sure the Q box is set to 2160p 10bit and go from there.

My first thought would be to check that HDMI on the projector is set to 'Enhanced Format' for both inputs to allow full bandwidth.
Then make sure the Q box is set to 2160p 10bit and go from there.
Following on from what DB9S says, it may also be your HDMI cable, depending on the type/length/quality as this will be pushing the bandwith.

Following on from what DB9S says, it may also be your HDMI cable, depending on the type/length/quality as this will be pushing the bandwith.

Thanks for the replies. I have re-checked the settings and they are all as they should be. I guess it must be the HDMI Cable which is this one and 10m long?
4K HDMI Cable 10M HDMI Lead - Ultra High-Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b Cord 4K@60Hz UHD 2160p

Problem is HDR from my UB9000 BD player is fine, it's just the SKY Q box

Last edited:
That DreamAV YouTube guy irks me. Don't watch his videos as he doesn't actually review anything or give opinion on anything. It's minutes of fluff back to back, it's quite a skill tbh.

That DreamAV YouTube guy irks me. Don't watch his videos as he doesn't actually review anything or give opinion on anything. It's minutes of fluff back to back, it's quite a skill tbh.
Spot on.
Says an awful lot, about nothing in particular.
He is selling both units though, so why would he berate either of them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom