1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vpl-vw12ht

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mystex, May 13, 2003.

1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been debating which projector to upgrade to (from a SONY HS1) for some time now and I've still not got any closer to deciding which one to go for.

I've narrowed it down to 3 - the 12HT, HS10 and the AE300. I realise they are all at different price brackets, but I'm tending to lean towards the 12HT, because of the higher contrast (which is the HS1's real downpoint in my view) and the high res. Thing is I cannot find a review of the 12HT anywhere. I remember reading about it in HCC, but can I find the issue with it in(can I heck). I've found every issue but the one its in! I seem to remember them raving about it at over £5000, so at £3000 it must be a steal?

Does anyone have any comments to make before I take the plunge? I'm worried about the HS10's shadow detail and AE300's lowish res, the 12HT sounds like the best of both worlds?:confused:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you PM me with your mail address I will scan the review and send it to you if you wish.

You can also check out the Projector Central review here

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Hi

There's a review here at projectorcentral.com.

They say its now a little overpriced, but a good performer.
    However, I'm sure I've seen adverts for it at around the £3000 mark, which if you ask me is a steal.

I've had my VW11HT for 18 months and I'm very happy with it even though I paid alot more.
    I've attached a cc40r filter on mine, and project on to a 82" Stewart greyhawk screen. The combination is terrific.

You'll probably get similar or better perfomance from the 12HT without that kind of expense. Though of course if you went for a greyhawk aswell, I reckon you'd have one hell of a good picture.

Jules

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    oops, Sorry Messiah.
    Didn't mean to duplicate your link. I should look more carefully in future.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 12 is actually a very fine Proj, and much improved over previous models. But it is still a Sony ;)

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    2 x reviews sent

7. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reviews Messiah, thats very kind of you. (though my wallet isn't thanking you - or the missus ;) )

I'm gonna sleep on it 2nite and think things over, though those reviews do sound good. Projector centrals reviews weren't quite as impressive, but I think they were reviewing it at the £5000+ bracket?

8. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Messiah,

As you have read on previous thtreads I lioke you arer looking for a projector with great difficulty. New thoughts keep coming all the time. With the review you sent to mystex of the Sony 12Ht which from mystex reply sounded good why hasn,t this pj been in your thoughts.
    The review in projector central put me off by saying the HS10 was just as good for less price(or did I read it wrong?).
    Hope you dont mind me asking ,
    Tommorrow I am going to see the HS10 well really to hear it, if it isnt too loud I will probably buy. But I will spend more money on another if it is worth it to get that extra quality in picture(and 16:9) My spend will now go as far as £4000 and absoluterly no more.
    I just want to stop racking my brains and just buy one.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Gadjet

That's a very good question. I think it is really due to a number of issues including

1. No one has been able to provide me a with a demo model to try out

2. No DVI port which may be a bit limiting in the future as I have considered getting a DVD player such as the Bravo D1 with DVI out and have built a HCPC for this same purpose - DVI use

3. Until now it has been way too pricey compared to ther models like the MT8 which I can get for £4200

4. It's big, therefore I feel it may be noisy (like my semi-big old CRT)

5. I never trust reviews in magazines. I feel they always have more to lose by giving a bad write up than they do falling in love with every bit of kit they try :) Cynical? Yes.

6. I'm always a bit wary when the price tumbles and a new model is round the corner as I always think what will I be missing if I buy the old model. Human nature I guess (or mine at least).

However, following this resurgent interest I remember that my local Sony shop had one in a few months back and I am going to give them a call in the morning. If they still have it I will pop in tomorrow and see if I can persuade them to let me bring it home for a few hours and try it out.

BTW, if you want me to send you the reviews drop me your mail address and I will send. Have you considered the MT8. Best picture I have seen on ANY sub £5k pj. If I were to order 2 I bet I could them for £4k each which would fit nicely in your budget :)

10. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats brill idea of us both gaining. My only little down is not seeing the picture myself, but reading from your previous threads you seem to be choosy as me. We both want quality for the money we are paying and I trust your view..
    This morning I am driving to Sound and Vision to see and hear HS10 and whatever else they have, no Toshiba I asked.
    I will give you a message later on on my views.
    Does the price include vat on the toshiba?

My email is: phlparry@dsl.pipex.com
    Cheers

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Gadjet

Yep, the price includes Vat. I can get one now for £4230 but I bet with a multi order I could get that down.

Reviews sent btw.

Neil