1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-VW12HT and screen Goo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steviemac, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Steviemac

Steviemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to embark on a DIY screen for my new projector and was wondering if anybody had paired the VW12HT with the Digital Light Grey goo paint at all on MDF? I have noticed on the forums that a lot of people have had good results with the Goosystems stuff, but I am unsure as to which paint to order - the white or the two choices of grey that Goosystems offer. Any suggestions?

Cheers :D

2. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on a number of factors really:

1 - What size screen are you intending to have - the larger the screen, the lighter the colour you would want

2 - What sort of ambient light/masking do you have? Personally I find the darker screens to help immensely with ambient light, and if you had any I would suggest you want a darker colour

3 - What is your preference for images, do you like really bright images, or do you get irritated by poor black levels? If the former, go lighter, if the latter, go darker

I suspect though, that overall, given we are talking LCD here, and assuming you aren't projecting onto a giant screen, that the digital light grey is the way to go. It's what I use with an AE300 at about 7 feet wide, and I'm pretty happy with it.

An an aside, I don't know about anyone else, but I got terrible results rolling it, so I would recommend spraying.

3. Steviemac

Steviemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Popeckia

My screen is gonna be 6ft across and designed probably with a 1.85 aspect ratio in mind.

The decor in the room is mainly light, magnolia type colours although I am trying to persuade my wife to allow me a black wall where the screen is going! :D

The black levels on the pj aren't that bad with the filter off, so I'll be looking for a nice, clear, vibrant image, although I don't want my blacks looking really grey!

Thanks for the tip on spraying.....heard from a few guys in here that rolling wasn't as easy and good as the manufacturer claims it to be!

Any info. is appreciated :smashin:

4. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What about brush painting ? Would that work if done carefully and with a good quality brush ?

Allan

5. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yes.... the inventor (who seems a very nice guy who took quite a bit of time to help out people who bought the product, including myself) has a rather high opinion of my rolling abilities I think. I tried a few times, and it ALWAYS came out streaky. In the end I bought another batch (he gave me a discount on it due to my eariler failed attempts which was nice).

This time, I bought an HVLP paint sprayer from B&Q ... was about 70 quid I think, something like that. I did a little reading on spraying, and basically did very very very light coats. I think I did about 10 coats in the end. But this way, my rather amateurish spraying skills (first time ever) didn't cause an uneven build up.

The result looks extremely smooth and consistent to me now. I really wouldn't even bother trying to roll it.... it's too expensive to f*** up.

As for your room environment, sounds a lot like mine... I would definitely recommend going for the grey, especially at only 6ft wide... I am a little over 7ft and I don't find the image is too dark for me at all.

edit : I forgot, definitely don't brush it!

6. Steviemac

Steviemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll pop down to B&Q today and price some MDF. Do you know of any retailers where I could drop in and buy some blackout material such as velvet? Heard great things about velvet for absorbing light.

Should be able to save on the spraying tool as I have a friend of a friend that is in the spraying business, so he should make a good job of it :)

It's decided - the light grey goo is getting ordered :D :smashin:

7. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still haven't got round to sorting masking properly... but blackout material and masking material aren't the same thing. Generally, when people refer to blackout material, they are referring to a light coloured material that you line curtains with..... people often use it for DIY screen material, so using it to mask wouldn't work.

Also, if you are going MDF, you can spray straight on, so no need to coat in any other material. The beauty of MDF being a very smooth surface and if you get it thick enough, no flexing of the screen.

I actually bought some stuff that I played around with for masking called Suedetex. It is basically felt like fibres that come in a little dispensing tube, and a black glue that you paint onto a surface. It gives a lovely smooth felt like finish without having to cut and stick material. However, I don't think it absorbs light as well as velvet does...

8. homeroids

homeroids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely spraying is the way to go. I rolled Goo onto MDF and it was streaky depending on what slight angle you were looking at the screen probably due to it's slightly reflective properties. I got a discount on the 2nd batch after I explained the issue. The distributor here in Australia also said he had never come across streaking issues with rolling. I find that hard to believe. The Gooo product pamphlet recommends spraying anyway.

I then took it over to a friends workshop who is a professional panel beater and car sprayer. OMG, what a difference. Do not roll the stuff on :)

9. Steviemac

Steviemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Got another question - how do I get into the service menu of the vw12ht as I now have in my posession the AVIA calibration disc, I want to be able to adjust the bias of the individual colours as I can see that red has a slight advantage.

Cheers
    Stevie