1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL VW11 vs VW12

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I've had my VW11 for 2 years now and been very pleased with it.
    I'm using it with a CC40R filter and a 82" Stewart Greyhawk screen.

However, I'm starting to get the upgrade bug again and wish it didn't spill so much light on to the screen when its supposed to be black. Basically I want better contrast and black level detail.

I've yet to see a DLP machine I like, the image always appears less stable than a LCD and leaves me with tired eyes.

So I want a better LCD machine, which kind of leaves the Sony VW12HT as the only option. At £3000 in some stores I'm a little tempted.
    Anyone know how much better the 12HT is compared with the 11HT.
    Would it be worth upgrading or should I stick with what I've got (only 1 dead pixel) and only about 500 hours on the clock.

2. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ive used both, and the 12 is a fair bit better. if you put them side by side on the desk you cant tell what is what, it uses the same case. just badged 12ht.

open it up and you can see they are not the same, I have had the cover of both side by side, dont ask my why.

The blacks are blacker on the 12, and the picture looks better.

I like this PJ with a white screen, the draper I use is 1.1 gain I think. so things are nice and bright. I think the grey screen may be a little dark have a read HERE

Thanks

Darren

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Thanks Darren.

I doubt I'll be changing my grayhawk screen though.
    I'm suprised anybody has issues with the grayhawk screen... I like it. It really improved things when compared with my previous Draper sreen. That and the fact that it cost me £1300 means there'd have to be a really strong case for me to change it.

The thing is, if I change to 12HT, nobody would know except me!
    It could be sneaky upgrade to avoid getting in trouble.

When you say the 12 is definately better, are you saying its worthy of an upgrade or ... erm... just a tad better.
    And how much do you thin I might get for my 11 if I sold it?

4. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not one of my favourite suppliers ;)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is something like the VW12HT still viable alongside newer units like the HS20? Comparing specs I don't see a reason to consider the HT. :confused:

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Comparing specs is interesting, but no substitute for seeing/living with a projector........

I'd prefer to see an authoritative review of production HS20 before coming to a conclusion - one has to hope that the lamp issues which affected some HS10s has been rectified - the noise issue certainly seems to have been dealt with (though on my experience of Kramer's HS10 I didn't think the noise issue was a big deal, although in a warm environment it did ramp up a bit......)

The 12HT has not attracted reliability comments, afaik, and certainly has been reviewed very favourably - the pinnacle of LCD home cinema projectors ???? Quite possibly. More pertinent is whether at that price point it would be better to push slightly further and go DLP...................

Sean G.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I just feel the VW12, even if still slightly better than the HS20, now looks hideously expensive for what one gets.

But you're right, a decent, analytical review is needed of the HS20 ... please someone. :D

9. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the 12 ht it a top end product, it has very good build quality.

the hs range is not the same.
    the ht 12 had a rrp of £6000 no they were never that price in the shops but were around £4999. at first.

Please remember that this was only a little while ago, yes they did price them self out a little, but most who have tested this pj will rate it, and a calibrated one is Top

For the 3177 Euros whats that £2100-2200? I would rip there arm off.

Darren

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Not only is it well-built (made, as it was, by Sony's broadcast & professional division, unlike other products) but it also has (I understand) one of the best onboard scalers ever seen.

11. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it IS an awesome machine. built like a battle tank, extremely tweakable, superb picture, a tad noisy (not sure if it is more than most others), and a LOT better than the HS10 (but to be fair they are quite different price points).

At 3117 Eur it is an absolute steal. I paid 4000 Eur for mine almost a year ago and I'm still chuffed to bits at getting such a bargain.

12. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totaly agree, 12HT is the top of LCD and is build like a tank.
    Even more, if you calibrate with SMART III and a CC filter (CC30R in my case) the picture is fantastic, blacks are deep and contrast is amazing.

Nick

13. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exellent, how easy did you find the Smart 111 to use?

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Id also be intrigued about smart. There are plenty say it isnt a patch on colorfacts, but I cant see much wrong with it.

ad

15. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is actualy very easy to use. It requires a laptop for the excel file and a photometer plus AVIA disk for the 10 IRE levels.
    You can order it through http://www.enhancedht.com/ plus a CC filter if you want (you should, it will increase th pq even more).
    You must try it, it is a very inexpensive way to take all the juice from your pj.

Cheers

Nick

16. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one... thanks

Darren