1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL overheating - please help !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sport28, Sep 15, 2004.

1. sport28

sport28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have a sony VPL-CXI.
    About 3 years old, one of those ones which were on special from PC world.
    The problem is, after 2 or 2.5 hours of use it shuts off. A light fllashes, saying somethin about over heating or the fan. I can't remember exactly what.
    I phoned Sony prime support, who said I should take the filter out and clean it in warm water, before drying throughly and replacing. Also run a hoover lightly over all vents.
    Will this work ? Or might there be a problem with the fans ?
    all the vents are well away from walls etc.
    It works for medium length films fine, but occasionally I want to watch longer films...
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks!

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you haven't cleaned the filter in the 3 years you've had it, it's a wonder it's working at all ! Do as they say - filters should be cleaned about every 100 hours of use. If you wash the filter make sure it's completely dry before replacing it and powering up the projector.

S.

3. sport28

sport28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your right i haven't - ooops !!
    How long should it run, eg should i be able to watch Return of the king extended edition - 4 hours 20 i think, without stopping ?
    thanks

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I would think that it should run until the lamp needs changing (2000hrs), provided room temp is kept within spec range and there won't be a mains fail.... :)

Gary

5. sport28

sport28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice. Will try it.
    I remember now - after 2 or 2.5 hours the fan / temp light starts flashing. The instructions say this means the fan is broken and needs to be serviced. But if so - how does it work perfectly for 2 hours + ?
    any help appreciated - problem is really annoying me now!!

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The same temperature sensor is at work, and the light is a warning for the fan or the temperature. What's happening (in all probability) is that the temperature is rising too high because the filter is blocked - when it reaches an unsafe level, the pj is turning itself off - no mystery really. Clean the filter and see what happens.

S.