Sony VPL-HW65ES ROOF project!

kushy28

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Decided on going for a 64ES and so far love the way it works in doors.

We have a huge rooftop where we have furniture and do our BBQ's and I'm planning on doing a set up where I can bring the projector out and watch movies up there.

We have external plug sockets and i'm working out the best viewing distance before I buy a screen but a few things I'd like to pick someones brain on as what I would like to do is whenever we want to use it we simply have to take out the projector in an external enclosure, a good quality sound bar and a screen.

Few things:

- Best way to connect to a media source which will be directly below in the room downstairs?
- Ideas on external enclosures which could deal with some light rain?
- Any supporting equipment which could help make this as minimalistic as possible?

Thanks in advance! :)

What you want to do is probably quite difficult to do well and a bit of a project. You need to be mindful of the specified humidity range for the projector (the Sony's have had an SXRD panel degradation issue, reportedly humidity is involved). Screen choice will be of paramount importance if you want to use such a setup in the daylight hours at all, you may find a consumer HT projector like the Sony isn't anywhere near bright enough if you're after a very large screen with ambient light. Likewise the screen will need careful attention I'm sure so as not to spoil in the weather.

Maybe try and find an installer who has done it before. I have seen some smart outdoor installs before in trade custom install publications.

Picking this back up again.

The projector wouldnt be outside all the time, only when we take it out.

I know i'll need to connect the sound and projector into the mains and then the sound into the projector - just need some ideas for best way to have video playback.

Been thinking about things like a rasberry pi, some sort of media centre, a dongle of some sort - basically something that I can stream movies, the net or my sky from (or all).

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom