Sony VPL- HW65es 3D Projector Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by panman40, Apr 10, 2016.

1. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Having recently bought this projector thought would create an owners thread :)

2. Martiin82

Martiin82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    I am finding that using the dynamic Iris setting on limited is pretty good, just enhances dark scenes enough without causing any unwanted distractions, I have now decreased manual Iris to 80 with contrast 78 for sky HD and blu Ray movies, I'm also using gamma 2.2 but 2.4 looks very good also, on my unit 2.2 measures / looks like this, greyscale isn't to bad.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    How's the white screen uniformity? It might be an idea to check it regularly, as well as some native on/off contrast measurements at the same time to see if there are any changes in the future.

Gary

5. IrishBigScreen

IrishBigScreen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great to have the thread... Here are two shots of the same screen on the 65. They are using the simple movie setting.. One is netflix, the other is Sky HD... Not exact I know and only using a camera phone...

Attached Files:

6. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    It looks fairly good from what I can see Gary, certainly no stray tints in white content, I suppose CR will drop a bit over time due to lamp ageing but yep I shall keep an eye on things.
    It appears that Sonys calibration pro software can be used with the 65 so I may give that a whirl sometime as it has 10 point gamma.

Martin.

7. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    My parents freesat HD box seems to produce a crisper picture than sky HD especially SD channels.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    On/off CR shouldn't change with lamp aging other than perhaps if red drops more than green and blue so you need to reduce green and blue more too (to stay at D65), but otherwise it should remain the same because white and black should drop equally as the lumens reduce.

I have seen it said that this happens though - but that was from someone who was measuring from 12 feet away - the meter was at it's limits for black at that distance, so was only really measuring the drop in white, so his black level readings remained the same, and the white level reduced as the lamp dimmed.

I only suggested it so you could see if there was any of the degradation that had been mentioned on avs about the drop in contrast and lumens due to some a yet undefined panel (?) problems. I think Sony are fixing it, but it doesn't hurt to measure things to see if it's happening to yours.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  9. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    just out of curiosity what Sharpness and Reality Creation combinations are you using ?.

10. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Ok this may seem a dumb question when the 65 has built in RF but I was curious to plug in the external xpand unit I have spare from the HW40, I wonder if this is possible as it plugs into the LAN port ?.

11. alexbr

alexbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has any of you returned a VPL-HW65ES back to Amazon recently? If yes, why? There is one at £1833 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Says "Used", as usual (though most of these are actually unused returns), and the description says "Item may come repackaged". It's sold (not fullfiled) by Amazon so it gets 3y Sony Prime warranty in the UK, I already asked them. Comes with all customer service and 30 days return that any product sold by Amazon has.

I bought stuff from Amazon Warehouse Deals before, including mobile phones, and they were all returns within the 30 days policy, looking brand new and unused. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  12. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    My 40ES had lost nearly half of its contrast just over 1000 hours due the panel issue, I really hope they've sorted that out on this model as I wanted to get one.

13. alexbr

alexbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That sounds really scary ... are you sure you don't have a faulty 40ES? Are there many reports of this from other users/reviews? The 40ES is still an expensive PJ where such a drop should mandate repairs under warranty. Is there a reliable way to measure such a deterioration which Sony accepts as valid reason for repair/exchange? (I wouldn't want them to test it and say there's nothing wrong)

14. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Unfortunately according to reports all Sony's suffer from this and Sony have not found a solution yet, so in a sense they are all faulty. Now that does not mean it will happen to yours but it is generally an issue with their SXRD panels. Plenty of reports in the US.

15. alexbr

alexbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh no ... I was so set on getting a 65ES, the contrast being one key feature, thinking it would last me a few good years without forking more dosh. Butif I lose half the contrast after only 1000h then what the hell good are all those specs and lamp life?!

At this pricepoint this is completely unacceptable to me. If this is really a widespread problem then I wonder how are they still popular ... or are they?

Could you please provide some links to the reports you mentioned from others?

Is JVC having the same problem (it's essentially the same LCoS technology)?

16. alexbr

alexbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony SXRD degradation: Sony SXRD Degradation Thread - Effects All Current Sony SXRD 1080p/4K Panels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Also links to reports on measurements on JVC X500 which do not show degradation.

HOWEVER, there is some good news in the same thread about the 65ES, in that it should have countermeasures to prevent contrast loss:
    The 3rd post also says that after reading through the german forum at cine4home.de, Sony has stated that they have "solved" this issue starting with the HW65:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  17. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    As far as I am aware no issues with the JVC but even the 4K Sony are affected. BUT you might be fine with the 65 by the looks of things.

18. LockDown Mike

LockDown Mike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could you buy a new bulb to get your contrast ratios back, or is the unit itself shot...?

19. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    No, its a panel issue and is not repairable unless you swap out the light engine.

20. LockDown Mike

LockDown Mike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bandyka, I just created a new thread, is this something I should be concerned about. If your contrast ration is half does the color saturation look washed out? Is that what contrast does... like a bleached image? I am in the market today to purchase something. Literally waiting for the HW45ES to come out.... if it's no good I'd buy the 65es, just dont know if the upcharge is worth it in picture quality. This will be my very first projector and i need it to be quite. I also am brand loyal to Sony, I have had lots of there products and they have always been great quality... at least from my personal experience.

21. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I don't want to preach bad news I am just saying I've been unlucky and there were reports from others as well. It does not mean your PJ will suffer the same fate but yes the the picture as a whole would suffer especially black levels and shadow detail. I was very happy initially with the PQ of the Sony and all other features too its a great all-rounder. The 40ES is a great first projector and nothing can beat it for bang/buck however if this is your first PJ you will not have anything to compare it to and appreciate how good it is. I always suggest to start with a Benq or similar to enter the world of projectors that way you learn the basics well,find out if PJ are for you and learn to appreciate better PJ as you progress higher. That is what I did too and worked very well.

22. LockDown Mike

LockDown Mike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you look at my thread i created I am going "ALL IN" with my booty projector area in my basement. I am painting my ceilings black and my image wall black. I am buying a projector screen but that will all be black. The adjacent wall will be very dark grey. When I do something I spend may hours researching and then I pull the trigger and run it. I kept looking at the Sony 850C TV they just made a 2016 the "D" but the 75 inch screen even as amazing as it looked with all it's 4K goodness looked too small.

My wife said "Mike we should get a 75 inch and sit 12 feet away and I said, we would be better off with a 1080p because at that range you can't even appreciate the extra resolution, IMO if you have a 4k get close to it. I don't want to jump off topic. Maybe if you get a chance you can view my thread I created.

Also it seems all this motion enhancement and reality creation and blah blah blah everyone just turns off, or leaves on very low settings.

I want a theater area in the house were I'm watching a movie and I feel like I am part of what I am watching, I don't believe you can replicate that with a Tv.

I don't have the funds to buy a 100" television set, which is why we have projectors or PJ as you guys call them. :)

23. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Lets move this to your other thread:) Replied there.

24. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    So I have previously noticed an odd flash / loss of sync using my xpand 3D glasses, I fully charged them one day last week then watched a 3D blu Ray and thought all was ok but another top up charge last night and whilst watching Wrath of the Titans today I had 2 brief flashes again, with my hw40 and external RF emitter I never once had a flash or loss of sync.
    Has anyone noticed brief loss of sync with the 65 ?.

25. RobsTi

RobsTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm contemplating on getting this PJ as well. I've heard about issues concerning 3D playback.

The flickering sounds worrisome to me as I enjoy 3D content. How often would you say the flickering is occurring? And which glasses do you own, have you tried different ones?

Feels just illogical if I have to spend less (around 600-700€) for a cheaper model, HW45ES, for trouble free 3D.. especially as I want the better blacks that the 65 offers :/

26. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    I can't d scribe it as flickering. It's an occasional flash of sync using my Xpand X105 Lite 3D glasses. I have been using these glasses with a previous HW40 for a year with totally solid performance using the xpand external RF 3D emitter. The HW65 has built in RF 3D with no requirement to use an external emitter but I have noticed very brief loss of sync by way of a flash in the glasses which is a bit dissapointing. My wife uses Samsung glasses and has said she hasn't noticed anything but imthinking she could have missed it perhaps.

I will say there is practically no 3D flickering in bright high contrast scenes as some have reported, I used to see that on my Panasonic 3D plasma TVs.

27. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Are you using high mode for 3D?

28. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Yes, low lamp isn't bright enough for 3D unless you use max 3D glasses brightness.

29. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Well could this be related to the low lamp flicker issues perhaps? Have you tried high lamp mode for a full movie? I would give it a good test.

30. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    I'm a bit confused, I don't have any lamp flicker (yet) , this is a brief loss of 3D glasses sync when watching 3D in high lamp. I have reported it anyway so my retailer knows.