Sony VPL-HW55ES Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Disclaimer: The settings below are supplied for information purposes only. We make no guarantee that using the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture, they may even make it look worse. Every TV, even from the same manufacturer and model number will vary, as will the environment the TV is used in. For further information on how to set up your TV, please follow the steps in our Picture Perfect campaign.

To find a professional calibrator near you, see our Custom Installer and Calibrator Directory.

You can read the review here: Sony VPL-HW55ES

Calib. Preset: Reference

Reality Creation: Personal Preference

Cinema Black Pro: Personal Preference

Lamp Control: Low

Motionflow: Film Projection On

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Hue: 50

Colour Temp: Custom3 (Gain Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0; Bias Red 0, Green 0, Blue -10)

Sharpness: Min

Expert Setting

NR: Off

MPEG NR: Off

Film Mode: Auto 2

Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma Correction: 2.2

x.v.Colour: Off

Colour Space: BT.709

RCP: On (Red H 0, S 0, B 3; Yellow H 0, S 0, B 0; Green H 0, S 0, B -2; Cyan H 0, S 0, B -2; Blue H 0, S 0, B 0; Magenta H 0, S 4, B 0)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Good spot, lamp control should be set to Low for 2D, it defaults to high when watching 3D.

You're right there are Resolution and Noise Filtering controls within Reality Creation but I think that particular feature is very much a matter of personal preference. A purist might say you should just turn it off but I feel there's room for experimentation, the same goes for Cinema Black Pro.

I'll adjust the 500 settings to reflect this too.

shoot3r

Thanks, Steve. I found these settings to be more accurate than ones I found on another review site. Others said contrast at 90 was good, but it clips above white on mine. Also, I didn't tweak RGB yet, but I found that D55 was most accurate right out of the box. D65 (the default) was too blue. Finally, my gamma was too bright (maybe it's related to my screen?). I set it to 2.4, which actually produced a 2.2 gamma.

Still deciding on reality creation. Things do look blurrier with it totally off, so maybe a low setting is the way to go.

Top Bottom