Question Sony vpl-hw45es

jaffamuffin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to purchase this projector as an upgrade from a 2011 purchased Mitsubishi
Hc4000.

Actually having some difficulty getting it richer sounds are ordering it in so I said what about the 65es but he said they aren't getting any more it's possibly end of line ?

So -- am I doing right thing by getting the 45es right now or are Sony bringing out something better very very soon?

4k isn't a major attraction, top quality 1080p at 120" is what I want . Do you think I can get RS to throw in some 3D specs ?

Thanks all

Have a look at the Epson TW7300 and TW9300 as well.
I have noticed the 65 being discounted at several places. It's unlikely they will replace it until IFA in January.
Sony need to do something with their entry level as they are currently being outclassed by the Epsons.

Despite not needing 4k I'd be looking at the Epson TW7300/9300 or Optoma UHD550X/ UHD60X, the Sony is ok but we pay a lot for them in this country and I suspect something else will be out shortly hence the lack of stock. If you can get one with a good discount, say £1500 then great, but if spending a bit more there's probably newer better options these days.

I guess questions are budget, how light controlled your room is (white lounge or dark bat cave) and content..

Well I got a 65es. The optoma '4k' was on the list as well as the 7300 epson but everything I read said the Sony was pretty much the best 1080p unit and I got a great deal on the 65 vs the 45 so went for that in the end. The 7300 motorised lens was certainly appealing and the optoma pq looks nice in all the vids I've seen but I feel 4k tech still need to mature and the content needs to catch up as well would much rather have perhaps the best in class 1080p available. I'm very very pleased with the unit so far.

All will be good, although I'd take things like WHF with a fat pinch of salt. I went from the Sony to the Epson and thought it was a good step up. I have only just got rid of the Sony so had them side by side. I currently have both the Epson and Optoma and am trying to decide between the two, but both are a very good step up from the Sony IMHO in different ways. It's not all about 4k either as both make 1080p look the best I've seen in a long while. Both I would say are better 1080p pj's than the Sony as well as being able to also display 4k as a bonus. What you get for what price is obviously another factor to take into account, as is arguably your room, screen and material.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom