Sony VPL-HW45ES v VPL-HW65ES

revstar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting my first projector in the next couple of weeks. I've narrowed it down to two projectors:

Sony VPL-HW45ES £1850
Sony VPL-HW65ES £2290

Having never seen the two projectors in action, does anyone know whether the 65ES is worth the extra £440?

Thanks

There really isn't much in it, I didn't think the 65 was worth the extra so went with the 45.

Dynamic IRS with deeper blacks and better contrast, that is mainly the issue

Any suggestions on how to NOT get such a dim/dark picture when in 3D mode onb this Sony projectors?
Love the 3D depth but it looks like every movie was filmed using candle lights to lit up the sets:(

High Lamp
Glasses brightness High
Don't be tempted to overdo contrast though.

If I try to increase brigtness I just lose the blacks but the picture remains as dim as a batcave

Contrast at default setting is already at maximum 100 for 3D

Then you will almost certainly be loosing highlight detail. In reference picture mode using custom 3 colour tone I can go to 90 without clipping.

If I try to increase brigtness I just lose the blacks but the picture remains as dim as a batcave

Increasing brightness will do that, just wash the picture out and ruin black level. My hw65 needs brightness 48 for 3D.

It shouldn't be as dim as your describing though but I know from previous posts you prefer a very bright picture.

Then you will almost certainly be loosing highlight detail. In reference picture mode using custom 3 colour tone I can go to 90 without clipping.
Can you share your basic settings?
Right now I am in Cinema 1 at default settings

Increasing brightness will do that, just wash the picture out and ruin black level. My hw65 needs brightness 48 for 3D.

It shouldn't be as dim as your describing though but I know from previous posts you prefer a very bright picture.
What are you general picture settings for 2d and 3d? Do you use D65 and gamma 2.2?

I found Cinema Bright picture mode with some minor adjustments works well for 3D.
Contrast at 100
Brightness 55
Color 60 (very important)
Reality Creation/On with Resolution at 30 and noise reduction at 20
Sharpness 10
Gamma 9
Color Temp D75
Lamp Mode High

I have the 65ES for a while now. (I put 200 Hours on the lamp)
I am extremely happy with this projector.
The picture quality is superb (combined with the Projecta HD progressive 0.9 projection material)
I calibrate the image (Panel alignment) by individual zones / colors once at about 80-100 hours --> The quality of the image is so good that this calibration is really needed.

I really don't know how it does it, but if you set the "reality creation to on", then it looks like the resolution of the projected image is higher than 1080p --> The details are just better than what the source offers. It somehow detects the background from the objects so it blurs the background a bit and sharpens the objects that are separated from the background (very very smart).

I keep the "motion flow" to off because it blurs the image a bit and it's not really needed.
The lamp is super quiet.

Those who are buying this projector will need a projection material adequate for 1080p and higher --> The quality of the image is so good that the granulation of usual projection materials would become visible!

I didn't test the 45ES so I can not comment on how they compare. If it has the "reality creation" function then it should be very good too.

Reality creation - resolution = 60
Reality creation - noise = 50
Cinema black pro - Iris - Dynamic control = Limited
Cinema black pro - Iris - Brightness = 90
Cinema black pro - contrast = middle
Cinema black pro - lamp = low (room is dark and I only watch during the night)
Motion flow = off
Contrast = 84
Brightness = 55
Color = 50
Hue = 50
Color temp = D75
Sharpness = 62
Expert setting
Nr = pff
Mpeg nr = off
Smooth gradation = off
Gamma = off
Color corection = off
Clear white = low
x.v. = on
Color space = BT 709
Input lag reduction = off

Does anyone know what smooth gradation does??

From the manual: "Smooths the gradation of the flat parts of images"

From the manual: "Smooths the gradation of the flat parts of images"
I don't even know what that means in practical terms. Does that mean that areas with different shades of the same color look more natural in transitioning from one shade to the next?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom