Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners Thread

Stuart07

I thought I'd start one as there isn't an owners thread.

Had my HW40 2 weeks and had a Optoma HD25 before the HW40.
Can't believe how quiet Sony is compared to the Optoma, I could hear the Optoma in quiet parts of movies but the Sony is virtually silent.
Picture quality wise the Sony is excellent, but the Optoma was also very good.
Motion handling, I'd say the Sony is as good as the Optoma, this is where I thought the Sony wouldn't match the DLP Optoma.

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I'll post up some photos of mine when I've er tidied it up a bit :D

For info I'm running at a 3m throw distance and viewing distance. Started with a 92" 16:9 screen but after a couple of weeks have decided I would be better with the next size up 106" screen for a bit of extra wallop - my dealer is kindly letting me swap them over.

Just for this thread, though I have posted elsewhere, I have two open issues with mine:

- A problem bright pixel in the center of the picture - appeared after a couple of weeks - only visible in certain scenes but quite prominent when it is there. Have seen it in two separate films.

- When watching on the HTPC the projector occasionally (0-2 times per hour) loses the picture - the audio continues. Then after 1-2 seconds it comes back with the 'hdmi1' message at the top left you get when changing inputs.

Both of these are now open cases with Sony Prime support. They have suggested I switch to the HDMI2 input on the projector to rule out the second issue which I will try.

Also one general question - the Sony has a manual put on/remove lens cap - do people use these between films? I know some projectors have electric ones that will open/close with the PJ.

hati

- When watching on the HTPC the projector occasionally (0-2 times per hour) loses the picture - the audio continues. Then after 1-2 seconds it comes back with the 'hdmi1' message at the top left you get when changing inputs.
Does it happen when you watch something that is recorded from TV and has commercials edited away, then the losing of picture would happen at the point of that edit? That would mean that (for some unknown reason) the cut causes projector to renegotiate with a PC what the signal is that it will show.

[edit] Does the picture disappear at same place of program, if you rewind to point before disappearing and watch it again will it behave same way?

Last edited:

Stuart07

I'll post up some photos of mine when I've er tidied it up a bit :D

For info I'm running at a 3m throw distance and viewing distance. Started with a 92" 16:9 screen but after a couple of weeks have decided I would be better with the next size up 106" screen for a bit of extra wallop - my dealer is kindly letting me swap them over.

Just for this thread, though I have posted elsewhere, I have two open issues with mine:

- A problem bright pixel in the center of the picture - appeared after a couple of weeks - only visible in certain scenes but quite prominent when it is there. Have seen it in two separate films.

Both of these are now open cases with Sony Prime support. They have suggested I switch to the HDMI2 input on the projector to rule out the second issue which I will try.

Also one general question - the Sony has a manual put on/remove lens cap - do people use these between films? I know some projectors have electric ones that will open/close with the PJ.
I had a similar problem with my first pj a Optoma HD25 that would lose video sync but not audio, I replaced hdmi leads etc, but in the end it turned out to be a hdmi control issue. Turned off all hdmi controls and all was fine.
See if your pj, receiver etc has hdmi control on and try it with it off.

My screen is 106" at about 3.2m :thumbsup:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Does it happen when you watch something that is recorded from TV and has commercials edited away, then the losing of picture would happen at the point of that edit? That would mean that (for some unknown reason) the cut causes projector to renegotiate with a PC what the signal is that it will show.

[edit] Does the picture disappear at same place of program, if you rewind to point before disappearing and watch it again will it behave same way?
No and no.

It isn't event limited to watching media but can happen just using Windows. It never happens on the plasma with the pc.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Projector cap - any dust on the lens can theoretically cause a drop in inta image contrast due to light being scattered on the lens by the dust that's sitting on it, but I can't recall having seen any measurements that show how bad it actually is. I can't say if I've ever seen a comment where it's actually caused a visible difference in the projected image either.

I didn't replace my lens cap and only occasionally dusted the lens, but it's probably not a bad idea to put one on when it's not in use - depending on how good your sofa springs are :) If you don't want to keep doing that every time, you could leave it off and see what the lens looks like after a time, and maybe use a dry air spray to blow any dust off the lens from time to time.

In my last room I had a Bionaire which helped keep the dust down in the room, but I don't know if that actually helped or not. Seemed like a good idea though :)

Gary

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I had a similar problem with my first pj a Optoma HD25 that would lose video sync but not audio, I replaced hdmi leads etc, but in the end it turned out to be a hdmi control issue. Turned off all hdmi controls and all was fine.
See if your pj, receiver etc has hdmi control on and try it with it off.

My screen is 106" at about 3.2m :thumbsup:
Interesting - what is hdmi control and what do I lose by tuning it off :)

Stuart07

With hdmi control, any tv, pj, reciever etc with it enabled can control each other if connected via hdmi, for example if you turn on the av reciever, it will turn on the tv or pj at the same time.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Interesting - thanks - I did not even know that was a thing.

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
We were demoing this pj yesterday and in the dark room it had ample lum / brightness very close to the hd91 , plus the blacks and colours were good too out of the box as I don't believe it had been calibrated as there was the usual red face saturation........................Neither I would use in an ambient brightly painted room with the likes of the react screen though?

djh4000

Just took receipt of one of these a couple of days back and am impressed so far. I've had a number of pj's over the years and was recently the owner of an epson tw7200 so I'm in a good position to compare both in a living room environment.

The epson was great, much better than the optoma 25e that went before it, but I just couldn't get away with the noise when ceiling mounted in normal/3d mode. My dealer was good enough to replace with the sony though and initial thoughts are very positive.

I'm not big on 3d but the kids like it for gaming, does anyone have any suggestions for glasses as the official sony ones at £100 a pop seem a bit excessive?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I'm not big on 3d but the kids like it for gaming, does anyone have any suggestions for glasses as the official sony ones at £100 a pop seem a bit excessive?
The playstation glasses work. The price varies a bit - I got three pairs for £27 each from amazon recently.

Stuart07

I've just ordered 3 pairs of playstation 3d glasses off ebay from USA, cost £50 inc p+p.

djh4000

Thanks for the glasses tips gents, wasn't sure if they'd work. For the limited amount of time they'll be used, 50 quid for 3 pairs is definitely better than twice that for 1 !

Geezer

Novice Member
I have one, love it so far. Still need to do a bit of tweaking and maybe move it around a bit. But it is great

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton