Sony VPL-HW10 SXRD Projector Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Phil Hinton
The Sony VPL-HW10 offers projection performance that suggests it should cost far more than it does. SXRD technology is now in the main stream market with superb calibration control and nice black levels. We think this projector is certainly a best buy product, go and see one!
Read the full review...

Thanks Phil for an excellent review. Having used the HW10 for about six hours now I agree with you about its quality image belying its cheap looking case and remote. I particularly resonate with your comments about its sublime skin tones and image sharpness which looks so clear and natural.

I don't have a problem with the remote. I think its well laid out & functional.
What more could you ask for?

Hi

The cheapness of case has got me worried, as it'll be a battle with Mrs over the size and if it looks cheap.....

Anyone seen this and an HD1 ?
Hd1 is now similiar price.

Thanks

John

John, as far as I know the HW10 is ÂŁ1550 and the HD1 ÂŁ1850 plus.:( Not good news for those of us on a tight budget.

Also, as much as it annoys me to say so, there have been a couple of questions comparing the two projectors and in all honesty, imo, the HD1 shows its pedigree. If the two were projecting side by side and money was not the issue, I would be surprised if anyone took the Sony.

Having said that, no-one is going to be doing that, so I'm sure that at the moment it is head and shoulders above anything else at it's price point. So much so, that I'm counting me pennies....

regards

Parmenion

Hi I am new to this site and am very interested in the reviews that the sony projectors are getting at the moment. Its obvious that people are pleased so far with the budget model but does anybody have any feedback on the vw80 model. I know JVC have a range coming out as well.
I am just getting home from work and have seen that Avensys in Copthorne are doing a customer night dedicated to the range including the VW80. I cant make it on this short notice but if anybody can get to it can they let me know what they thought of this model as I am eager to find out.
Thanks

Hi I am new to this site and am very interested in the reviews that the sony projectors are getting at the moment. Its obvious that people are pleased so far with the budget model but does anybody have any feedback on the vw80 model. I know JVC have a range coming out as well.
I am just getting home from work and have seen that Avensys in Copthorne are doing a customer night dedicated to the range including the VW80. I cant make it on this short notice but if anybody can get to it can they let me know what they thought of this model as I am eager to find out.
Thanks

We have a review of the VW80 coming very soon.

know this is miles late but the build-quality was an issue according to reviewer, Phil Hinton. In that it looks cheaply made according to review. Then with the hw30 + hw50 review the build quality is referred to as excellent...Using the exact same build...oh! & chassis

Now if the Sony hw10 has lousy build quality, how come the identically built later models within the millimetre with identical materials & chassis. All worked out but it Just seems strange that if anything the vpl-hw10 should now be one of the worst Projectors for build quality.

I know they are an obsolete piece, but the chassis is still identical. But this is the only place ive heard the VPL-HW10s build quality is bad...but later identical plastic paneled same chassi get excellent build quality ..Me myself personally i always liked the look of Sonys budget SXRD (LCOS) & IMO this baby rocks esp in the build & looks. Apparently they have had a lot of success regarding build quality by looking other than cheaply made. The one im using now plays beautiful 21:9 movies with eco light on an 106",2.35:1 screen. Results are superb, esp with Star Wars & LOTR/Hobbit.
Also they seem to be still in use regular...Not bad for a dodgy quality chassis & fascia from 4 yrs + ago.

Please don't get me wrong, i know you pretty much gave it a good review... 7/10 though is pretty bad for Sonys first ist 2k SXRD as in "affordable" They don't last long on the classifieds either.

Blimey! pulling a thread from 5 years ago......Well Done !!!

Just to add......My HW10 is still going strong and I haven't even had to use the spare bulb it came with.

I'm in the process of looking for a new projector just because funds allow it, rather than their being any problem with the HW10. Very pleased with my purchase from 2008.

regards

Parmenion

Blimey! pulling a thread from 5 years ago......Well Done !!!

Just to add......My HW10 is still going strong and I haven't even had to use the spare bulb it came with.

I'm in the process of looking for a new projector just because funds allow it, rather than their being any problem with the HW10. Very pleased with my purchase from 2008.

regards

Parmenion
Hi Parmenion,
Yeah forgot to add the vpl-hw55 has the same build too!!

Don't suppose i could convince you to part with the spare bulb with some advanced monetary persuasion...Mines getting on now but if your thinking of a new PJ, well i thought its worth a shot...:)

Thanks Pal-

J

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom