1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vpl Hs3 Too Cose

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MADONMACS, Dec 27, 2003.

1. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, having seen a friends VPL HS2 and free 70inch Wide screen thrown in. I was very impressed etc his room dimensions were about the same as mine approx 12-15 feet long projection throw. So I went and got a shiny new VPL HS3 and the guy threw in the same 70 inch wide screen for xmas.
    So got home set up same throw or so i thought!! To my horror the LENS THROW is completely different.

To get the image on the free 70 inch widescreen the PJ has to be a max of about 6-6.5ft from the screen. which to my mind the screen is FAR too close to the seating position
    Problem is the placement of my PJ has to be around 12-14ft and really can't be moved closer. Also the screen has to sit behind my existing AV Kit because i still want to use mt TV for normal viewing

I took my PJ to my friends to see and yes my VPL HS3 has about half the throw of my friends VPL HS2 to the same 70 inch free widescreen
    In the VPL HS2 manual it says about an optional lens for short throw.
    PLEASE can any one help with this one, is there a LONG throw lens for the VPL HS3? OK yes i could project onto my back wall but then it defeats the object of the screen. I don't want to swap for a VPLHS2 because the features and the cinema black pro is not as good as the VPL HS3.
    Can you get a ceiling mount for it?

Really sorry for this really long posting but I am really upset that no where does it say that the VPL HS3 is so different in the LENSES throw distances plus the guy at the SONY store knew i had seen my friends set up with his VPL HS2 (the store owner installed my friends system) and didn’t say there was this large difference between the two.
    I will be going back to the store this SATURDAY to see if he will sort it out
    I just hope I haven’t just bought a lemon and wasted my dosh

LENGTH OF ROOM WALL TO WALL 15 FEET
    Optimal PROJECTION DISTANCE 14 FEET OR 4.3 METERS
    APPROX ON BACK WALL SHELF TO SCREEN BEHIND AV EQUIPMENT
    ON SONYS VPL HS3 THIS WILL GIVE ME A DIAGONAL IMAGE OF 150 inches / DOUBLE THAT OF THE FREE 70 INCH SCREEN WHICH THE PJ HAS TO BE BETWEEN 1.9 AND 2.4 METERS

Many thanks in anticipation

Dobbs
    :smashin:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums..........................

not really much you can do about, I reckon, other than swap for a HS2, or trade up to a HS10/20...... the HS3 has a short throw-distance......

this is an extract from a press release at the time it came onto the market.....

The HS2 (according to projectorcentral.com - not always 100% accurate, mind you..) gives a 70" wide image at 12' with minimum zoom, and from 11' at maximum zoom. With a 14' throw distance, the HS2 will give a 81" wide image at minimum zoom.

It's a pity you've had a disappointment - you should be able to find a projector which suits your needs in terms of throw distance, or you could consider re-arranging your set-up to suit.......... that's what most people end up doing. a 70" wide screen isn't really that big........ do some searching/reading here and you'll find pics of set-ups in living rooms with 7ft wide screens, might suit you better in terms of throw distance etc....

Sean G.

3. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sean, thanks for the speedy reply, what i meant was that in the Manual for the HS2 it has an option for a short throw lens, but no option for a long throw on my HS3. If I swap to the HS2 I feel I will loose out on the better quality of image and features of the newer HS3. Don't get me wrong I am pleased with the quality of the Sony. (i was gonna get a panny ae200-300)

I would love an HS20 too much dosh....at the moment

Currently I have put the free 70inch screen in its box and am projecting on my wall which gives a distace of 10 feet from front of PJ to wall and a diagonal image size in 16:9 of about 120 inches BUT I still need to go back another 3-4 feet or so to enable the PJ to sit on a back wall on a shelf. This will give me approx 150 inch diagonal. Which the manual says its the maximum. What I am worried about is am I pushing the PJ above its capabilities (ie screen/brightness level loss due to the increased throw) plus I am now projecting onto a normal wall painted magnolia at the moment.

The other option is to either celing mount it (although the guy in the shop says it's not possible) OR celing mount the screen??? tell me if i'm not going nuts!!!

Once again many thanks for all your help

Regards

Dobbs

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dobbs,

I hope some HS3 owner will wander by with some further help for you..... if you like the image from it then you just have to find a compromise in fitting it in with your setup..... I'd be very surprised if it can't be cieling mounted.... have a look in the manual.. if there's an image setting that says ceiling then it should do the trick. Most of this kind of kit involves compromises of one sort or another - I wouldn't recomend a 150" image, certainly, but by ceiling mounting and using a pulldown screen about 7' wide you should be able to fit things in ok. If you do some searching on reent posts of peoples setups you'll discover that there are few who can accomodatea PJ neatly on a rear shelf and a screen on an opposite wall............

BTW, have you checked where the HS3 fan exhaust is ? if it's at the back, you couldn't really shelf mount anyway - check the manual for clearance around the pj.

Sean G.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Silly question I know, but I assume that you have adjusted the zoom ?

Cap:smashin:

6. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all luckily the PJ exhaust is at the front!! so it could be shelf mounted. I have just tried it on a makeshift old pj stand on the back wall and measured the diagonal image gives me around TEN FEET seems way too big for my seating istance around 7-8 feet. So i guess ceiling mount the screen and or pj is possibly the answer. I am off to the Sony store now to see what they will do (see if i can borrow an HS2 or gulp maybe go fo an HS20 eventually

Or have any of you any other good alternatives if I can change the PJ to one that has a long throw from about 14 feet.

Chers

Dobbs

7. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes sorry Captain Benefit the oom is at minimum, when zoomed right out i could probably projet onto next doors wall!!! (thats an idea)

cheers
    Dobbs

8. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings, Well went to said Sony Store saturday and came to the conclusion that I need to ceilieng mount my HS3 to overcome the short throw lens problem to get the image correct on the 70inch screen.

So I am awaiting Sonys response to ceiling mounts (I saw one by UNICOL and one by Chief?) any other suggestions (DIY) on ceiling mounting My HS3 for use with the free Sony 70in widescreen which is floor mounted. I guess the ceiling mount would have to have a large drop to bring the PJ level with the top of the screen (althought the Sony does have quite a big lattitude on Keystone etc.

Yep it's the old upgrade bug again. I have just got a shiny new Sony VPL-HS3 LCD PJ which is excelent (80inch screen+)

I Have a Cyberhome ADSL 512, bought 3 years ago for £99 which has Dolby 5.1 audio out and Component out. Having now seen the detail/quality difference from my brothers Marantz 4300 DVD compared to mine which seems a bit soft and lacking in shadow detail.

Problem is I need a new DVD around £250-300 which must have Dolby 5.1 out (I have my trusty Yamaha DSPE492 processor and componet out for the PJ. Is there any i.e Marantz or Toshiba??

Many Thanks

Dobbs

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dobbs,

Can't make any recommendation about a dvd player.... there's a dvd player forum here where you'll get lots of opinions and advice.....

BTW, you've already got a thread open on the subject of getting yourself sorted out about the projector..... there's no real need to start another - just gives the mod work to do merging threads..... this is a friendly word, not having a pop at you.....

there's plenty of folk here who've made their own cieling mounts, do some searching and reading - you could save yourself some dosh...

Sean G.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
  11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Threads merged ;)

12. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OOOppss sorry, slip of the mouse!! (and too much xmas booze) Sounds like the DIY option is a possibility (I was looking at spending about £16o+ for a commercial ceiling mount) I am just a little concerned with it being bolted upside down, i may go for an adjustable L-type bracket if i can find one/make one, with the shelf and pj up the right way only because the drop from the ceiling position to my floor mounted screen will be longer than a ceiling mounted screen.

Once again many thanks, really helpful...... I just hope I can be of the same help to someone else soon...

Cheers

Dobbs