SONY VPL-HS20 or PANASONIC PT-AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xaser1066, Aug 31, 2004.

1. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which should I buy, the HS20 or AE500? This will be my first projector, I have a limited buget of about £1600, but do like good quality. I have always been a SONY fan and would have gone straight for the HS20 @ £1520 but thought I would look around before buying (since I don't have all the money yet). I noticed the AE500 looks simular on paper but is almost £500 cheaper @ £1029. Has anybody seen both models in action? Can you see £500 worth of difference? I intend to drive it from a PAL progressive DVD player (need to buy this too). It would also the good to connect my PC for mega (in your face) gaming sessions. Thanks, Jason.

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Mate

It's been beaten to death (these X vs Y posts), but if you are not sure, go and have a look at both and then decide for yourself.

It's impossible to tell you to buy X or Y, because what looks good to one person, might not look good to you, so you should be the judge of what your own eyes see. :eek:

I have just bought an AE500 and i'm well chuffed with it. Haven't seen the HS20, and i couldn't care less what it looks like anyways ! I was in two minds for almost 1.5 years, and then i just decided to take the plunge and not care about what i might be missing around the corner. I must say, i feel very happy about my decision.

Cheers

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    Remember the Pannie is short throw and the Sony is long throw
    (this may be very important to you)

4. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think Tempest hit the nail on the head there. The throw on the Sony is quite poor. I know originally I was quite disappointed with how far i had to put it from the screen, when space was limited. Now, in the new house, its not as much of a problem.
    PQ is fantastic though.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....if one requires a short throw projector ;) .

IMO the HS20 is better than the AE500. Quite a bit better but nearly £500 more expensive.

Demo both, work out which would suit you better (throw ratio) & then go out & buy it :smashin:

6. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I have just twigged that the short throw design would be better for me - in the easiest setup (across one end of the room) I have only 9.5 feet; using the panny would give me a much bigger picture meaning that I do not have to shoot length ways down the room (which the wife may not go for anyway).
    Is there anything missing on the AE500 that the sony has which would be worth having (don't think I would use the memory stick slot or speaker)?

7. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've not seen the AE500 in action, only did a compare to Hitachi TX100 vs HS20, but to my eyes the HS20 was nicer (contrast may well have been better on the TX100, but the screen door always got me on the TX100, but not on HS20). I guess smoothscreen should help on AE500 with cutting down screen door, but most people say quality wise the TX100 is better than AE500.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well if your still saving, in the HS20 price bracket, the AE700 is 'apparently' due out shortly and looks very promising from the threads im reading... Why not wait alittle longer................................

9. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    When you say the sony HS20 is a long throw projector, i take it you mean its better further away from the screen, what sort of distance is ideal for the HS20, on a 106 inch screen ?

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  11. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cool-hand, i done like you said & it shows that with the HS20, if i put a 106 inch screen it shows 16.2 feet. I can have the projector at about 14/14.5 feet away from the screen, does that mean i wont be able to fill the whole 106 inch screen ?

12. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    RIP

Without checking your calculations on projectorcentral, you are exactly right in what you are saying.... The sony will not fill the screen. I'm sure if you try the same thing with the Panny it would fill the screen easily within the distance that you have.

Simon

13. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ok thanks, this will be my first PJ so i dont really know much about them, but i really did think you had somthing on the lens to change the size of the picture, not just rellying on moveing the PJ further back to get a bigger picture, oh well.

14. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    RIP

There is something on the projector that will allow you to change the size of the image from a fixed point but the amount by which it can be changed isn't that much. It's ok for "fine tuning" the size of the picture. I'm not sure whether the projector central site uses the smallest or largest pictures from a set distance. I'll have a look in a minute unless anybody knows.... I'll post again in a minute.

Whatever the outcome RIP, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the HS20 (just read your other post!)

Simon

15. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    RIP

I've just looked at the projectorcentral site for you... At 14ft you should be able to throw an image of between 92 and approx 111 inches (so you should be fine :thumbsup: ) I think the green section is showing the amount that you can change the image size using the adjustment on the PJ itself.

I hope this makes sense, it's getting late!

Have fun at the weekend.

Simon :hiya:

16. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for checking that for me, i can see the green bit on it now. One thing tho, i just got a tape mesure out & put thouse sizes up in my room, its a lot bigger than i thought it would be...... :D , the missus is going to killl me.....hehe

17. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    That sounds ideal. You never really want the lens adjusted to its max or min to get the image size you want, being in the middle gives you room for play

18. Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  19. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have HS 20. My screen is 203 sm wide and the projector i 4 m away. I found that (IMO) in the longest trhow SONY has a little bit better picture. May be the lens or something.
    However, I can't understand term limited space. If you has 100 inc screen how far do you intend to watch it? IMO the closest distance is 3,5-4 m. It wiil be no problem for the SONY to trhow at such distance.