1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-HS20 DVI mode w/NVIDIA 1024x768 max?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pesty_cat, Sep 11, 2004.

1. pesty_cat

pesty_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have PNY 5700LE AGP graphics card, which uses NVIDIA chipset/drivers. Using RGB output to a standard HD tube monitor on the primary port, and DVI output to the HS20 on the secondary port.

Operating in clone mode (or Dual mode for that matter), I am seeing a max phyhsical resolution of 1024x768 projected on the HS20. The desktop is set for 1280x768, and it "pans" within the 1024x768 allowable window. Very annoying. The primary is working fine at 1280x768 RGB.

The driver is telling me "Your flat panel display has a maximum resolution of 1024x768," which is apparently why I'm stuck with that resolution on the HS20.

I can't find any settings or register entries to change this. PNY is telling me the Sony has an EEPROM value somewhere that conveys the projector geometry over the DVI port, while Sony is telling me the projector will revert to 1024x768 mode when it receives an 85+ Hz Vertical Refresh rate. (Yet, the HS20 info menu is indicating a 60 Hz signal is being received).

I've seen some discussion on this issue in the AV forum, but can't find any crisp suggestions as to what to do.

I have the latest drivers installed (Nvidia 6.1770) and this HS20 is fairly (received 1 week ago) and should have up to date firmware.

From what I can see, the DVI on the HS20 is excellent. Just need to get it working in WXGA mode.

HELP! TY.

2. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I came up against the very same problem about a year ago. Nvidia cards/drivers just don't work well with the HS10/20. You can download and install "Powerstrip" to insert custom resolutions such as the 1366x768 you require, but the Nvidia drivers stubbornly refuse to allow them to be used.

As far as I am aware, this issue still has not been fixed and you simply can't get full 1:1 pixel mapping using an Nvidia card.

If it were an ATI card, now...

(my next upgrade will be an ATI card because of this issue btw)

3. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had a similar problem with a Geforce 4 using the DVI. Gave up in the end and bought a cheap ATI card with DVI. Problem sorted first time.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This is a known problem with nVidia's implementation of EDID (Extended Display Identification Data, a VESA standard data format). As Vic says, practically any Radeon card will solve this issue for you.

Sean.

5. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    the following was posted by edved in another thread:
    Good news. I recently purchased (1 week ago) the hs20 and couldn't stand the picture I was getting with my svideo dvd decoder card from creative. I think its the Drvx3 card. It's over 5 yrs old. I tried the dvi output with my 9600xt and it wasn't even close. Dvi output is amazing. Night and day really. The nice thing about the Drvx card which was nice was the ratio of 16:9 existed, while the ATI card refused to do it. After some guidence supplied by Paul from this forum, I was able to get it going. Paul is da man! He held my hand for the entire excursion and patiently guided me. You need powerstrip and ultramon. Powerstrip allows you what I think the ATI should, which allows 1366x768 @ 16:9. While ultramon allows you the view both the PJ and the monitor. Once I got it going, again courtesy of Paul, the results were stunning, esp with the HDDVD output! I couldn't pull myself away from the screen!
    I hope this answers some questions.
    i think if you tried the above method you might have some joy.
    i know he has a radeon card and you an nvidia but i think ultramon and powerstrip bypass that.
    can't guarantee it as i too had a radeon card
    worth a shot though.
    by the way,i had my hs20 as primary monitor and the pc monitor connected as secondary via vga.
    and yes,i was the person that guided edved through the whole process so i know it works.
    hope it helps.
    paul