Sony VPL-HS2 Bright green dots issue

yeswoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently acquired (a friend no longer had space) a HS2 and have fitted it in my spare room for films/PS3. I love it, first projector used at home and set up with first surround system.. already thinking about saving up to buy a more modern / brighter one, although that'll be a while off yet.

I have increasing issue with the green dots sprinkled over the image though, they are bright green some as big as 2 pixels some only noticeable on a very dark screen but all very bright, like fluorescent green, and probably 20+ in number.

I've read that the green LCD panel is more likely to get dust marks(?) and had a quick look under the hood for a way to clean with compressed air, but it appears the LCD's are in a sealed block and I wouldn't open it for fear of making the situation worse (and for lack of proper tools). But I wonder if opening the unit would be the only way to try and eradicate this issue? Is it worth a try?

Alternatively, how much would it cost to have a service centre give it a once over? And can anyone recommend one?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any advice given.

Cheers

Hi All,

I recently acquired (a friend no longer had space) a HS2 and have fitted it in my spare room for films/PS3. I love it, first projector used at home and set up with first surround system.. already thinking about saving up to buy a more modern / brighter one, although that'll be a while off yet.

I have increasing issue with the green dots sprinkled over the image though, they are bright green some as big as 2 pixels some only noticeable on a very dark screen but all very bright, like fluorescent green, and probably 20+ in number.

I've read that the green LCD panel is more likely to get dust marks(?) and had a quick look under the hood for a way to clean with compressed air, but it appears the LCD's are in a sealed block and I wouldn't open it for fear of making the situation worse (and for lack of proper tools). But I wonder if opening the unit would be the only way to try and eradicate this issue? Is it worth a try?

Alternatively, how much would it cost to have a service centre give it a once over? And can anyone recommend one?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any advice given.

Cheers

it realy does sound like dust and the only way to remove will be to open the unit and use compressed air to blow out the dust from the panels. I used to have to do this every few months with my panasonic projectors. Do a search on here or other forums and you might find a guide to help. Dust problems with lcd panels is the reasn i went dpl and i have had no dust problems at all.

I've had a quick scan for lcd cleaning guide for sony projectors with no joy, anyone know of one? For any sony projector would be useful.

I also had to look up dlp projectors (which I guess you meant).. are dlp's superior image quality? And therefore, are they more expensive?

I found this on ebuyer: Optoma Home Theater Series HD65 DLP Projector 1600 ANSI lumens 1280x720 widescreen High Definition 720p - Ebuyer
Looks to be a similar price point to LCD projectors, might have to keep that in mind.

it realy does sound like dust and the only way to remove will be to open the unit and use compressed air to blow out the dust from the panels. I used to have to do this every few months with my panasonic projectors. Do a search on here or other forums and you might find a guide to help. Dust problems with lcd panels is the reasn i went dpl and i have had no dust problems at all.

I've had a quick scan for lcd cleaning guide for sony projectors with no joy, anyone know of one? For any sony projector would be useful.

I also had to look up dlp projectors (which I guess you meant).. are dlp's superior image quality? And therefore, are they more expensive?

I found this on ebuyer: Optoma Home Theater Series HD65 DLP Projector 1600 ANSI lumens 1280x720 widescreen High Definition 720p - Ebuyer
Looks to be a similar price point to LCD projectors, might have to keep that in mind.

my projector is an optoma hd70 which is the bigger brother of the hd65 you mentioned and it produces a very good image and the blacks are much better than my old lcd and the bonus is there is there is no filter to clean and no dust blobs. When i first got mine i did notice a blue blob in black images and when my unit went back to optoma for repair i mentioned it to them and when it came back it was gone and has never came back. I would get a demo of a dlp projector first as some people get problems with dlps where they can see rainbow in the picture due to the way a dlp produce a picture with a spinning colour wheel.

As for cleaning see here http://www.stevenhightower.net/hs10/faq.html its a different model, but will give you an idea what to look for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I thought the rainbow effect was just a defect.. not dependant on the person. I'll check them out when it come time to purchase. The HD65/70 seem popular, and reasonable price to purchase as well as bulb replacements.. will have to keep my eye on the classified section.

As for the cleaning advice, that is absolutley perfect! I got right down to the bare bones but never turned it on, shall battle the green tonight.

Thanks for your help, this forum is a god send.

my projector is an optoma hd70 which is the bigger brother of the hd65 you mentioned and it produces a very good image and the blacks are much better than my old lcd and the bonus is there is there is no filter to clean and no dust blobs. When i first got mine i did notice a blue blob in black images and when my unit went back to optoma for repair i mentioned it to them and when it came back it was gone and has never came back. I would get a demo of a dlp projector first as some people get problems with dlps where they can see rainbow in the picture due to the way a dlp produce a picture with a spinning colour wheel.

As for cleaning see here http://www.stevenhightower.net/hs10/faq.html its a different model, but will give you an idea what to look for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom