Sony VPL-HS10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kain, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Kain

Kain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am deciding on my first projector. According to all the feedback I have read regarding the Sony VPL-HS10, it seems like an excellent projector.

However, how does it compare to DLP projectors and other LCD projectors that are in the same price range?

2. Kain

Kain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone?

3. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kain.

I bought the HS10 a couple of weeks ago - it's my 3. pj.
    In my opinion it looks truly awesome with 16:9 DVD's - especially at this pricerange. Currently, it has no competitors in the wxga-projector class - Epson TW100 and Sanyo PVL60/70 are a lot more expensive.

I have seen other LCD's - wvga and wxga - by a direct comparison, the wxga HS10 is superior, but in the lower res. class pj's, there are very good machines at their respective pricetags - the Sanyo Z1, Panasonic AE200/300, Sony HS2 etc...

I have only seen 1 DLP machine sofar and I didn't like looking at the picture - it felt 'noisy' or too 'vibrant'. Fair to say, that was a 2000 model - the new batch will problaly be in better shape, but for me DLP is out. I suggest you see a DLP for yourself and figure out whether you are sensitive to the drawbacks of this otherwise excellent technology (headaches, rainbows etc.).

I can't tell you whether to buy a HS10 or a DLP because I don't know your references, but by my references the HS10 is a superb machine and for a first projector, it must be a blast! :D

HS10 Pros:
    contrast
    lumens
    detail/sharpness
    no screendoor from, say 1.7* screenwidth and up
    power zoom/focus
    Backlit remote

HS10 Cons:
    fannoise - a bit too noise during quiet scenes
    blacklevel - fair but not as good as DLP
    shadowdetail - fair but not as good as DLP

I hope this little info helped - go see the projectors for yourself before you buy if possible.

Enjoy! :)

- Thomas

4. Kain

Kain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of DLP?

5. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What about the HS2?

7. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my hs2 for three weeks now and have been very pleased with it . Total price £1340 that's projector and screen .It might not have the specs of the more expensive projectors . But it has impressed me and my family. Xmas has been great , Minority report looked great on it as has the Back to the future trilogy.I don't even to pretend to understand all the technical jargon ,all I know is that I love my projector .If I could have afforded more money I probably would have gone for the hs10 .Enjoy whatever you get .Cheers Murph