1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-HS10 vs NEC HT1000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 7, 2003.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've read through what seems like a 1000 threads related to this, but there doesn't seem to be any feedback on which one is better, and what the pros and cons are of each, especially when compared under the same conditions. Some say its really about whether you want a DLP or a CRT, but what does that actually mean in terms of vision, performance, detail, rsolution etc for these two specific projectors.

I think there does seem to be general consensus that for gaming and home cinema under $5000, these two are the clear ones to go for, but is that because they're the latest? Is there something else in the pipeline worth waiting for?

Would love some advice.

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    sorry to be a panasonic AE300 bore !! but it has had some rave reviews. and will be cheaper than either of the 2 above
    (see www.projectorcentral.com)

Personally i am going to wait until it comes out then compare it to the HS10 and see what i think is better.

Its out in Japan and US due in Uk April

3. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your comparing two completely different products and technologies in two completely different price brackets.

The HT1000 will give a better perceived image with a few IF's.

Its DLP - thus some people see rainbows, personally I have seen rainbows of various degree's on some DLP's and NONE on others.

Black level on the nec is rated at upto 3 times better than the sony hs10, this is a huge issue for some, dpending on what your used to and what your expecting.

The nec is said to be much quieter than the HS10 and is supposedly brighter, BUT I have read in a review somewhere they are similar in light output once correctly tweaked.

Then again the HS10 is in a different class, its significantly cheaper and does a great all round job at its price point.

Then theres the panasonic 300, which is a little cheaper still. The panny gives a great image some say a bit better than the sony. It all depends on what you intend to use it for.

Personally, if the use is mainly DVD viewing or Movies to say, the NEC should be the best option, provided rainbows and cash are not a problem. The next step would be the panny 300, again if movies/dvd is your primary use. If you wish to do a fair bit of data display from a PC, then the sony is the better choice of the cheaper two for its higher res panels, also giving a good dvd/movie image. All in all screen door etc is not an issue with any of them. Another point is throw distance, projector to screen, personally in my setup a long throw is better, thus again the sony won, but the nec and panny I believe have a shorter throw.

Just my views, not to be taken as law.

Then again personally if moneys not an issue and your after best image, get a sony G70 or G90 CRT ;)

My HS10 and 1251QM stuff