1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL hs1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dominic, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This has may have been asked 100 time before but ......

Im thinking of buying a sony VPl hs1 and looking through the write ups and the forums its been given some credit. I have already climbed the biggest hurdle and have got the permission of the Missus to buy one.
    The next thing is having never had one before i need to know is my room too small to accomadate the said PJ.

Its about 5m by 3m but i only have a wall area of about 7ft that i can mount a screen. Im not sure where / how to mount the said the projector ( ceiling . stand) and how far away. I can only really get away with a 6ft picture :(
    So how far away from the screen do i need to site the PJ etc..

if anyone has experiance of this i would appreciate it.. thanks

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hi Dominic. Try the Projector Central Calculator. It's a very cool online database of just what you're after.

3. choonz

choonz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have one of these in a 3m by 3m room.
    it sits right in the rear corner (by the left surround speaker).
    and fires onto a 5ft screen mounted on the opposite wall.
    picture will go to 5ft completely on 4x3 pictures and a little less on 16x9, but it has a zoom lens to resize the picture to your taste
    I find that in a room as small as mine/yours that 5ft is more than enough screen size, and i tend to shrink the screen size abit anyway. It seems to give a little more clarity to the picture.
    The projector is at roughly 20 degrees off to the left of centre,and the horizontal keystone adjusts the picture to compensate quite nicely.
    so i recommend going for a 5ft screen with as much gain as possible, one of the glass beaded ones is an option.
    Jessops do a basic 5ft pull up tripod screen for £55 so you could grab one of those as a stop gap.contrast and brightness settings need to be high as the lcd picture is a little poor at dark images.
    sounds like you might like the panasonic ae 100 if you can get away with mounting the projector behind you.Still if you can get a sony vpl hs1 for £1700 or under i recommend it as a good starting projector (you will eventually get bitten by the bug and want a dlp i guarantee you.
    Now who wants to lend me £6000......

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The HS1 projector comes with a screen that is 1.2m wide, which gives a 1.5m diagonally measured (approx 5ft) picture.

Because of the shape of my room, I can only put the PJ 2.5m away from the screen and it fills it nicely at that distance. It wouldn't go much larger though.

I would say that if you could mount the PJ 3m away from the actual screen that you decide to use, you would certainly get a 6ft diagonal. Certainly you could use the supplied screen to get a 5ft picture.

Chances are that the supplied screen will be big enough, if you can't sit so far back.

As far as I know, there are no ceiling stands available yet for the HS1 though you _can_ invert the picture through a service menu. It works pretty well on a tabletop though, so you could whip it out for 'events' like movie nights or footie matches/GPs and put it away for regular TV watching.

Gav

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, there's a ceiling stand available from www.sony.com.au

Don't know prices though.

Dean.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works pretty well on a tabletop though, so you could whip it out for 'events' like movie nights or footie matches/GPs and put it away for regular TV watching.

Would you recommend getting the projector out for these events as well?:devil:

S

7. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    choonz... thanks for the reply.. very informative. When you say i will need a high gain screen, not knowing enough about pj and screens how high is high..? You say jessops do a £55 pull up screen, do you know if they do pull down one, its just the wife said you can have a pj but i dont want it looking like a village hall slide show... fair enough.

Gavan

you say the HS1 comes with a screen, i didnt see anything on sony's UK site that says you get one, i assume its matched to the pj and works okay. the 6ft was maximum but a 5ft picture would be more than adequate (if the screen is supplied for nowt)

i could probably knock up a ceiling mount or use a shelf /braket on the rear wall to mount the PJ. thanks for info

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The 'free screen' was originally a time limited offer but from all the posts here and on usenet that I've seen, they kept it on.

It's quite a tidy unit - completely folds away into the base which can be stowed under/behind a sofa when it's not being used. Picture quality is definitely better than using a white wall.

Gav

9. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

The free screen is still available through a few dealers like techtronics.com and at time of writing they still have over 25 sony projectors in stock. take a look.

all the best......Splice.;)

10. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I see what you mean about the free screen... just poped into local sony centre and he could do me an HS1 for 2k includding a free DAVS300 (rude words for homecinema in a box package) worth £300, but he wouldnt do the HS1 without for 1700 and that was without screen.

over to the internet i go then..

btw gavan could the sony screen fit on a ceiling if it had too. ?? with the help of some screws and wood.

11. choonz

choonz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im currently investigating getting hold of an owl (6ft) pull down screen,(non motorised)
    i have seen ,felt,rubbed kissed and sniffed one close up.But as yet i have not seen one working with a sony cineza.
    i am going to hi fi city in watford on friday to look at an arcam power amp and the new panasonic ae100 projector, i might take along my sony and get em to stick it on next to it in comparison.
    any way the screen is the most important reason for going.
    They have that 6ft owl screen and ill let y'all know what the picture is like with a budget projector.
    i should get a good idea as they have just finished the video dem room so it'll be nice and dark....
    i think a 6ft owl (non motorised) would set us back about £600.. but ill get a quote and get back to every one on the forum. oh by the way if you do get a £55 jessops screen yo can always cannabalise it and ditch the tripod bit, or better still pull off the screen and its housing from the tripod and hang that from the ceiling with a couple of hooks.
    you will need to tab tension the bottom of the screen though as it will roll up like a cartoon cats tongue if you let go of it.
    best of luck and let us know if you find any info on screen..cheers.

12. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIID have the Sony HS1 projector in stock for £1688 with the free screen offer.

Check out their website http://www.iiid.co.uk/

13. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    choonz

let me know how you get on at watford. im off to system sound sudbury on sat for a dem of the pany and sony... should be interesting other posts rate the store and pj's
    i checked out techtronics.com for deal on sony hs1. £1399 plus vat. inc free screen. a good deal, i want to see one for myself first though.
    Sounds like a good idea to remodel a £55 tripod into a ceiling mount. maybe ill give it ago while i wait for news on the owl.

cheers

14. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I wouldn't like to try fixing the supplied screen to the ceiling ... though if you kept it permanently open you might be able to somehow attach it with the help of sturdy mountings. Or you could cut out the material and attach it to a homemade wooden frame. I think you'd be better off just buying a proper ceiling mounted screen though in this case.

I plan to get an electrically operated ceiling mounted screen at some point in the future when I move into a larger place. In my current room environment, the 1.2m wide screen is just about perfectly sized and it really is quick to open and close.

Those prices for the HS1 look pretty high. I bought mine from a major electrical retailer in Switzerland around last October for the equivalent of 1600 quid. Currently you can get one for 3500CHF which is around 1460 pounds, inc. screen. There was even a dealer doing a limited time offer at that price along with an NS300 DVD player thrown in.

If the Panasonic AE100 is selling for 1400 pounds, the HS1 isn't really competitive at 1700 quid, screen or not.

Gav