Sony VPL-HS1 Projector - need advice urgent

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Sep 16, 2002.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi folks I have an offer of a VPL-HS1 projector for £840 pounds with 42 hours done. Do you think its a good deal. Is it wise to buy second hand? What can go wrong with the projector and is it expensive to fix? I need to urgent feedback on this as the guy has other people interested and is waiting for me to get back to him. Its sounds like a good price.

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mick

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Well with the lack of response i had to go on just some of the posts and reviews i've seen in the internet. I've agreed the deal anyway. I should have the projector come the start of october. I'm due to be moving into a new house mid october and i'm hoping to dedicate one of the rooms to home cinema. The room is 15' 8" long by 7' 8" wide. There a window almost the width of the room to the front. What size screen would i need to be looking at? Is the room a reasonable size to use for home cinema?

Thanks,
    Mick

3. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Your screen size will depend on where you want to put your projector.

I have my projector just over 14ft from the screen and my screen is 7ft wide. We sit 14ft from the screen, any closer and I think screen door becomes an issue. I would ensure you sit at about 2x the screen width away from the screen. I would suggest you don't buy a screen until you know exactly where you want to position your projector, that way you'll now what size screen you want. If you have to use the side-shot facility this reduces the screen size considerably.

Have fun with the projector. I have just started connecting my Tosh 210 to it using an Iscan Plus. I must admit I am well chuffed with the results, the projector really likes Progressive Scan NTSC :) It is so much more cinema like and no jaggies.

cheers

Gavin

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Thanks for the reply Gavin - i'll wait for the projector to arrive and until we've moved into the new house before investing in a screen. I'm hoping to run it from s-video or component from my Sony NS900 dvd player. The component will require the extra expense of the Sony cable so that may not be a day one purchase. As for the iscan pro - does it give as good results as say a progressive scan dvd player? How much does the iscan cost?

Thanks,
    Mick

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Mick

I bought my Iscan *Plus* (which only does NTSC) from this forum. The Iscan Pro (which does NTSC and PAL) are available for around £700 new, or around £500 second hand!!!!! I would imagine the performance would be very similar, with the Iscan giving the added advantage of being able to pipe Sky through it aswell.

There is also the Pro V which does NTSC and PAL, that is a lot cheaper, around £125. I couldn't use it as I understand the Pro V has troubles with Macrovision and my DVD player still outputs macrovision. (Despite it apparently being macrovision disabled when I bought it from Techtronics, but that's another story!)

I initially ran my projector through s-video and was more than happy with the results. I then purchased the component cable and wasn't that impressed by the difference in performance. Although others on this forum have had marked improvements with the component cable. The thing that definately showed the best improvement was going Progressive Scan, but to use that you'll need the component cable....start saving ;)
    I was lucky where I ceiling mounted my projector, the Sony Component cable was just long enough to reach my video stack, 10m isn't that long when you have to go up and down walls!

cheers

Gavin

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    700 seems a lot Gavin for it but no doubt i'll want the best picture so i'll be thinking about getting one in the not to distanct future.... that's if i don't go bankrupt first :) how much would a progressive dvd player cost?

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    When the true NTSC and PAL progressive players turn up I guess they'll be in the same price region!! (Take a look at the DVD Player forum) I know you can get a Philips Q50 from Hi-vi zone in Hong Kong for a lot less than that, but there is the additional "import" hassle.

You can get the Iscan Pro from ebay for around £350-£450, but that would be from the USA, again more "import" hassles :)

Gavin

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Gavin - what height do you need to position the projector at - i'm thinking maybe sitting it on a lamp table - would that be suitable?

9. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    A lamp table will be low enough if you can get the screen to drop that low!! If you know what I mean? The projector ideally needs to be a least at the same heigth as the bottom of the screen. Take a look as some of the on-line PDF files on Sony's WWW site, they show positioning information for the HS-1.

You will be able to use keystone correction on the projector if it doesn't drop low enough. But this will reduce the image size. So if you are going to be using side-shot and have vertical keystone correction your image size will be a far bit smaller.

IHTH

Gavin

10. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried the IScan Pro with my HS-1 via component from a Tosh 210 DVD player (as well as other sources). This did improve the image quality, maybe not dramatically, but none the less substantially - especially for R1 movies.
    BUT I encountered quite severe lip-synch problems on my movies, because of the pulldown detection system going on in the IScan. This for me was a deal-breaker as the IScan is quite a pricey piece of kit for what you get already!
    So if you are sensitive about lip-synch, then I would reconsider purchasing an IScan.

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Looking at the cost of the ISCAN - i don't think i'll be pruchasing one for some time - after i get the projector and get moved into the new house the next proirity will be the screen. I might try a diy one with a timer frame and some black out material to start with. Is the blackout material mentioned the materail used in the lining of curtains - to block out sunlight?

Thanks,
    Mick