1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-HS1 Or Sanyo PLV-30 or maybe even a Sony 10ht or 11ht HELP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neo-uk, Nov 13, 2001.

1. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Well need some help here been looking for a projector for 2 years now and can not seem to find the right one for me.

I have Demd or seen

1. a sanyo-PLV-30

Why did i not go for this one well it has the most screen door
    effect i have seen on any projector its the worst for it
    the blacks a fantatic becaseu of its 400-1 contrast and
    500 ansi buld which is more than anyone needs dont know
    why companys keep butting more ansi in it just makes worse
    blacks anyway that what put me of that one

2. a sony VPL-HS1

It has fantastic picture quality no screen door at that i can see
    the colours a great and very sharp but sony have put to much ans into it casueing the black to be washed out

3. a sony ht10

real good picture but have had a chance of an ex dem model
    for £3000 with 1000 hours used on the bulb dont know

4 sony ht11

have not seen it but its £5300 dont knw if i want to spend that sort of money

i wiuld love a projector of the sanyo plv 30 blacks and the picture quality of the sony VPL Hs1 and it would be a big hit i think
    i would have prob bought the sony VPL-HS1 but guess what sony left out one inportant thing that all projectors have a cellein mount version but no thay had to make it desktop only

i dont know what to do i am sick of wating for some sort of decent projector i might go fot the sony 10ht used for £3000 with 1000hrs left on it what do you all think

i hate DLPs becasue i can spot the rainbow effect on all

will the iscan get rid of the screendoor on the sanyo-plv30
    i dont know how that got a good picture review its in your face on that one i have herd the iscan do not work well with plv30 ???

is there any new projectors due out from sanyo or anyone just looked at the tos mt3 waste of time the ansi is 850 with 400 contras the blacks would be washed out ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sick help well hopw someone can shed dome light about this or anything

thansk to all

neo

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Musical Images are advertizing new Sony 10's at £3400!!!
    12 month warranty and a new lamp. Good deal. Flick through the latest issue of HCC and see their ad.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I think with the PLV30 if when setting the focus - if the focus is super sharp then the screen door is visible - so what you have to do is de-focus slightly and then the picture is more smooth - thats what I do anyway

The ISCAN had a problem with the PLV30 but I have read that a new main board for the ISCAN has been fitted eliminating the problem - the problem been losing the film sometimes with scenes with high bright content - try opening of Toy Story 2 if wanting to test it - but it should work now

The PLV30 is definitely a better picture with progressive PAL input and has a good benefit of accepting the 576 PAL progressive mode - I don't know if the other projectors allow this? Normally they say the accept progressive signal but it is only 480 which is NTSC only ( Region 1 ) - so they don't sync to Region 2 progressive from a DVD player

For PAL progressive there are a number of options - The ISCAN PRO, Skyworth DVD player and the Denon DVD 2800. The Denon should be a good bet and had great reviews for sound as well as picture - but actual people that have used it have complained about audio drop out and some progressive picture anomalies - so before buying it a home trial to watch a number of DVD's would be the best thing

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I guess it depends on your preference, your pretty much looking at models I had at home for a week to demo.

The PLV30 was loads cheaper the the 10HT at that time, obviously there's some quite good deals on the Sony at the moment though.

Obviously I'm going to say the 10HT because that's what I bought in the end, but here's why.

Loved the blacks on the Sanyo, however it's drawbacks were (for me anyway), no widescreen mode, the difference in picture between the 2 was far less when both were running in 4:3, however as soon as switching to widescreen the Sony simply looked amazing, maybe you should add the PLV60 to your list although I haven't seen one.

The black level seemed to be at the expense of detail, now you can say I didn't have it set up correctly (although I had it for a week and messed around with all the settings on both projectors), but the dark scene in mission impossible II where Tom Cruise was at the party where he meets the women, I watched on the Sanyo and it looked great, then I switched to the Sony and suddenly noticed his jacket was a velvet jacket and not a plain dinner jacket. Whatever I did I couldn't get the Sanyo to produce this detail, and that to me outweighed the black level (again personal choice).

Finally the fan noise on the Sanyo was a lot higher (this may not be a problem for you.

I would have been very happy with Sanyo had I not directly compared it too the Sony, so if you only want too spend 2K on a projector don't compare it with anything over twice the price.

Anyway hope this helps

Slingshot

P.S. I also looked at a couple of others, and one I thought was OK was a Davis Cinema One, which you can get pretty good deals on at the moment since Davis have stopped making projectors.

P.P.S A guy from this board, Nick Dale (are you still around Nick ?)also came round and viewed these projectors at my house and sort of wrote his own review between them if you can search the forum and find it, probably around 6-8 months ago.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44