1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-HS1 or HS2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 5_against_1, Nov 9, 2002.

1. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have been looking for some time at getting a projector and have come across the Sony VPL-HS1. I have around £1500 to spend and was looking at getting the HS1.

I am looking for a projector to use as well as my tv for mainly films and games on the PS2.

I know that the HS1 is a 4:3 screen and the HS2 is the 16:9 screen, so what do you recommend that will suit both purposes, bearing in mind that the price is basically the same for both.

Does anyone have the HS1 or HS2 and can you give me any comments positive or negitive please.

Cheers.

2. Nick Morrow

Nick Morrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you would be mad to buy an HS1 at the moment as the 2 is true 16:9 as wellas being a cheaper and better machine. Your best bet is to wait for its launch as it will sell for around £1,500. The HS-1 is a good machine and set new standards at it's price but I always found the 4:3 aspect to be a total pain!

Hope this helps.

3. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Is the HS2 really going to be significantly better than the HS1?

One of the main reasons for getting the HS1 is that it will be used for games as well as films. As most games are still 4:3 ratio, is it not better to get the HS1? Obviously if the HS2 is significantly better than the HS1 i'll go for that.

I can get the HS1 for £1350 from a local sony centre and I have seen it in action and it is very impressive (for a projector newbie).

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You should wait for the HS2 to become available (any day now) as even if you go the HS1 route you should save a bit of cash as the price will drop on the HS1 as dealers clear stock.

5. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of looking around over the past day or two, I have eventually found the spec for the HS2. I have noticed that it has 1000 lumens compared to the 700 of the HS1. Does this make a big difference?

I have also read that the resolution of the HS1 is higher than that of the HS2, will this make a big difference?

Only site that I have found that is selling the HS2 at the moment is Unbeatable.co.uk. Does anyone have any experience with them, e.g reliability, delivery times, and good customer services?

One thing I have noticed about these forums (only found them a few days ago) is that there seems to be a lot of people viewing the topic without much replies. I would appreciate any feedback, no matter how small to aid me in my quest for projection heaven (cheezy or what!!!!)

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I would suggest you see both of them before jumping in. I have an HS-1. I am very happy with it as a first projector, but it's amazing how quickly this "upgradeitis" disease kicks in! I've only had the unit since April and already the credit card it calling.....must resist :) As the HS-2 is due out any day, you will have a more advance stage of "upgradeitis" as this little voice in the back of your head will always be asking "Would the HS-2 be better, or is the HS-1 really good enough?????" :confused:

If you can, try and see the HS-2. As others have said, when the HS-2 is launched the HS-1 will be available for a knock-down price. If you are totally happy with the HS-1 then go for it, buy it as a bargain. I think it's a great first projector.

cheers

Gavin

7. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the problem at the moment though. One of the shop that stock the HS1 is selling it as clearance stock at the moment as they are not getting in the HS2 until they clear the stock. I am basically getting the HS1 at cost price if I want it, as well as any cables etc I need. This is working out at about £1350.

But, The HS2 is onsale on Unbeatable.co.uk for about £1350 with delivery, so there is no difference in price, which is why I was wondering if anyone could give me opinions on the significance of the Resolution and Lumens values as I mentioned in my post above.

Cheers for the reply though.

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

The HS1 gives a great gaming performance with my Dreamcast and for any console the vast majority of games are 4:3, so the HS1 could have a lot to offer.

Also, if you have Sky TV then a lot of the stuff is broadcast 4:3 or 14:9 at the moment. The domestic channels do quite a bit of 16:9 material though, and most new TV programmes are made in the this ratio.

However, most DVD films are almost certainly going to be Widescreen so you need to decide what your priorities are.

I would wait until the HS2 comes out to evaluate them both. There should then be some very good deals on the HS1 and it is a good projector to start out with, especially if you have a lot of 4:3 material.

Personally I'll probably upgrade my HS1 to something like the HS12 (or whatever the successor to the high-end Widescreen Sony is). Once you get a projector even though it is great you always want something better.

Gav

9. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply gavan. I know what you mean with this becoming a bit of an obsession for me over the past few months.

After I saw the HS1 in action with the PS2 and then Lord of the Rings on DVD I was blown away.

I am hoping to read some reviews on the HS2 before I go out and buy it, but of from what I have seen from the spec and the quality of the HS1 it should be a great entry level projector for me.

Just a note to anyone who is reading this, I have recently found out, from my mate who works in an electrical store, that the HS2 offer a free screen. Don't know what one, but maybe someone can find that out for me?

Cheers

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have never seen either but would always advise going 16:9 route. I have just replaced my Sony CS1 with an Epson Tw100 and it was one of the best upgrades just for the 16:9 screen

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have checked all the other factors in your PJ choice have you? EG quality of scaling with S-Video from a TV pic. If that's no good a pro-v will set you back another £120 or so, unless your PJ can cope with 15khz horizontal freq, when you can get away with a direct RGB-VGA cable. Yes, I forgot to mention the RGB-Svideo converter you'll need anyway. The 4:3 versus 16:9 argument is an old problem now. The problem is of course that LCD pj's show blacks as dark grey, the darkness depending on contrast ratio to a large extent, and your widescreen pic therefore has grey bars above and below. Folks mask this with contraptions covered in black velvet and such. 16:9 pj's like the AE100 have software to intelligently 'stretch' the picture if it's 4:3, done well this looks OK, you'd have to see what you think.

I think 700 lumens is not enough for me, and I can't bear the widescreen stretch, and I'm keen on contraptions, so I mask my widescreen pic, and watch 4:3 as is....... In other words I wouldn't buy either at any price.

12. 5_against_1

5_against_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, Thanks for your comments.

I have now tried and tested the HS1 last night in my living room.

I was pretty impressed with the quality and that was with the standard cables that came in the box. I was however just giving it a try to give me a better idea of what it can achieve, as I am now looking to purchase the HS2 when one becomes available at my mates store. (free sony screen with every purchase).

I don't know how experienced you are with projectors, as you seem to give me some good information. So if you wouldn't ever consider buying the HS1 or HS2, what system do you recommend that is around the same price (under £1400) but offers better quality.

Cheers

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's a tricky thing, cos it's your £1400! We all express our opinions, and that's mine. 700 lumens requires a completely darkened room, ask yourself if you play games/watch movies during the day. Are you prepared to black out your room? If you can get around those problems, then you may be happy with 700 lumens. Just check also whethewr the quoted contrast ratio is at 700 lumens, or in 'economy' mode. This turns down lamp brightness to gain bulb life (something else to check, and cost) and more contrast. At what setting was it demonstrated, and how dark was it?

Connection wise, did you see it with a DVD player, a PC, a console? Players and consoles are often coupled with composite video. It can be surprisingly good, but I have found to my cost it's prone to interference, particularly mains. That's an installation issue, where are you going to pu it? Are you putting cables in conduits? Do you want to watch TV, do you have cable or sattellite? You can get a much better picture with RGB output, but it needs converting before your PJ can use it, either S-video or VGA.

What's the actual resolution of the 2 projectors? How many pixels are you getting for your money? If as is often the case, the HS2 is a HS1 with 1/3 of the panel missing, then you're being had! You would get the same widescreen res. with the 4:3 PJ. We're getting out of hand, check your PM's

14. Nick Morrow

Nick Morrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that the screen you will get free of charge will be a bit poor - I would suggest an upgrade as a better screen on a £1,500 projector can make it outperform a £2,000 projector with a poor screen.

Forget about all of the complex cable issues - it's mostly bull - reason being buying a £1,500 projector is like buying a £200 TV.

Oh yeah - one more thing the Sim 2 HT300 plus is only 900 ansi lumens and that's not a bad projector!