Question Sony VPL-HS1 Cineza Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FiddlyBits, Jul 19, 2015.

1. FiddlyBits

FiddlyBits
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony regard the above as old technology and do not seem to be interested in repairing. Perhaps someone here knows of someone/firm who would. Here is the problem:

The unit switches on as usual but within a few seconds (about 10 - 15), the lamp, which was on correctly, switches off and the on/standby light flashes.

The filter has been replaced. In fact, I've removed the filter and manually engaged the micro switch associated with the filter. No effect; the lamp switches off as noted above.

I've removed the lamp and reset it back in the unit. This has no effect either.

As a new lamp is relatively expensive, and bearing in mind that it lights up each time for the 10 - 15 seconds period, can anyone suggest anything else (apart from sending it to the electronic bin)? I've also done the reset protocol: left arrow, right arrow, reset without success.

In addition, I've bypassed the lamp thermostat but the problem persists.

2. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I hate throwing away things and get frustrated given our planet has somewhat limited resources that the culture today is everything is disposable. However there's a point where it's just time to move on.

To put this in context my first projector is 5 years more modern than your Sony and got great reviews at the time it was released. 5 years is a lifetime in projector development. The last one like mine I saw sell in the classifieds here went for £50.

Economically it can't make financial sense to repair it, you'd be better off using the repair cost and buying a second hand one. Spend a modest amount more and the quality will be well above that which you are used to.

Apologies if it's not what you want to hear.

3. FiddlyBits

FiddlyBits
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for an honest and practical response. One last point before I finally confine the unit to the recycling centre. I have assumed that the bulb works ok because it lights up for the 10-15 seconds. However, is there a possibility that all I need to do is replace the bulb. Thus, any thoughts on testing the bulb separately from the unit?

4. Mreynoldsb

Mreynoldsb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! I have the exact same problem... Did the replacement of the bulb work or did you give up?