1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL-HS1 Cineza -Ceiling Mount Success

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by asdatrak, Mar 2, 2002.

1. asdatrak

asdatrak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been enjoying HS1 for a while now. For the money and my eyes it is the best entry level PJ (haven't seen Panasonic AE 100 yet)
    Having read various threads in the past couple a months regarding Sony limited options ceiling mount (and having problems keeping my 5y old from touching and endangering HS1 mounted on the shelf just behind our sofa), I have decided to see if I could ceiling mount HS1.
    Owners of HS1 know by now that the regular menu does not offer reverse picture facility.
    However I have found a setting in the Factory Menu which will allow HS1 owners to ceiling mount or high wall shelf mount PJ with a perfectly straight picture.

Enough babbling here it is:

1. Go to Factory Mode -On the Remote press (enter) (enter) (left) (enter), then (up) when it asks “do you want to enter the factory mode?"

2. Then enter the menu you will see that your limited menu now has far more sub menus.

3. Go to "DEVICE ADJUST" then "P/DRIVE" setting and press enter

4. Stroll with up or down arrow untill no.40 "OTHER/INSTALATION" setting appears

5. You will see number "0"(Which represent Floor-Front) next to it. Using Left or Right arrow on remote you can change to "1" (Ceiling-Front) "2" (Floor- Rear) "3"(Ceiling-Rear)
    I think that “2” and “3” values are if you are planning to project through the back of the transparent screen.

6. There are various other adjustments within the factory menu and you may be tempted to change them. Ignore all unless you know what you are changing, since if you trying to change wrong values you may never see proper picture again!!!

7.Exit the factory mode same way you entered.

That is all.

I have now successfully installed HS1 on the ceiling.
    You have to turn projector upside down after reversing the picture, be careful because HS1 is not shaped properly. I have used wide thick rubber sheets on the side of the PJ so that top buttons are not touching my shelf.

Good luck.
    PS. fan noise is now non existent and picture is perfectly straight

2. BFerreira

BFerreira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god I checked this post out. I will try this out today. I have already been to the service\factory menu but wasn't quite interested in messing up things I didn't know what they mean. But now I know :D.
    Now I just have to figure out a way to put it up ...
    Just wondewring why didn't Sony put the reverse mount option available on the specs and menu?!? I Don't think this would be harmful to the projector itself...

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have this option in the CX1 too, but I prefer not having it on the ceiling as its not smooth, besides I can hide the thing when people are around.

One thing to keep an eye on though is the temperature, it might be worth emailing Sony (under a different name in case it might affect your warranty) and ask them if its ok to have it ceiling mounted.

Any chance you could put up some pictures?, you should also check out the filters and that website I posted about a month ago, the guy also had a HS1 and has done many tweaks/mods to his.

James

4. lappinp

lappinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James

How do you change to ceiling mount on a CX1.

Ta

Paul

5. jsmith22

jsmith22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James

Could you post the website link for HS1 tweaks. I searched the forum but couldn't find it.

Thanks

James

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30563

was the thread but his homepage is

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/

if you click on projects then you can see what he's been up to. As for the Sony VPL-CX1 I have'nt tried it but I recognise some of the settings asdatrak mentioned, I will have a look tonight and report back if it allows you to modify the settings.

WARNING: NOTE DOWN ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS BEFORE FIDDLING!. HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE ON THE VPL-CX1 UNLESS YOU TELL IT TO SAVE CHANGES ON THE MENU FOR EACH OF THE SERVICE MENU & FACTORY MENU THEN WHEN THE PROJECTOR IS SWITCHED OFF IT WILL GO BACK TO ITS PREVIOUS SETTINGS AND NOT THE ONES YOU TYPED IN!.

To enter the service menu do the following

Service menu (ENTER,ENTER,UP,DOWN,ENTER then UP )

To enter the factory menu do the following

Factory Menu (ENTER, ENTER, LEFT, ENTER then UP

This will give you another menu to play with at the bottom.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30563 goes into a bit more detail for changing BIAS/GAIN values if your interested in fiddling with your settings. http://www.displaymate.com/patterns.html has some nice patterns to calibrate too.

James

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though the CX1 has some of the same menus as the HS1 these values cannot be changed!.

Still I wouldnt want to risk it anyway, projectors are designed internally for effective heat dissipation and having it upside down may not be within design spec?.

8. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to say thanks to ya asdatrak.

I knew this info was out there and someone from OZ would come up with the goods.

Once I make my ceiling mount I will post some pictures, it will be a variation on the official SONY floor stand.

Thanks Again

Kev.

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Way to go - this information will be a godsend for many owners, or people thinking of buying an HS1.

Gav

10. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to bring this subject up again, but why exactly do you need to turn the projector upside down to ceiling mount? I'm gonna try and fit it onto a shelf supported by the ceiling joists, so it hangs a couple of foot down from the ceiling. Am I going to run into trouble doing it this way?

11. asdatrak

asdatrak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna try and fit it onto a shelf supported by the ceiling joists, so it hangs a couple of foot down from the ceiling. Am I going to run into trouble doing it this way?

No it won’t be a problem except your vertical picture won’t be straight. It will end up trapezoid depending of your projection angle. In order to solve that problem you will have no choice but to invert picture you will see.
    Make sure that before you make finale height/drop adjustment you manually hold and play with projector so that you can establish the best possible level which will give you square picture.
    When I was installing my ceiling system, which is very similar to your intended one, I had to change shelf level height several times until I’ve got height which gives me square picture.

12. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the advice, when I've fitted it I'll post some snaps and let you know how it goes....thanks again.

13. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yes, the projector doesn't have anything like enough deflection and keystone correction to make up for the unit sitting even a couple of feet about the bottom of the screen.

Therefore if you want to ceiling mount the projector, it pretty much must be inverted with the projector hanging more or less at the level of the top of the screen.

Gav

14. fbwfs

fbwfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,i eared of the possibility of ceiling mount for the sony CSx on a french forum,but it appear that rom 1.02 is needed.
    My cs2 got rom1.01,so i can't change the option that reverses the image,is it possible to upgrade the rom?(like a friend did with his sony tava777es amplifier)

Thanks

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which french forum is that?, I dont think my CX1 has that ability though....

16. fbwfs

fbwfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the homecinema-fr.com forum,if you have some french skills,
    click here to see the post i'm
    talking about.
    I'don't know if you can do that on your cx1,it seems to depend on
    the rom version you got.But some cs1,2,3,4 owners did it,so as the cx1 menus are the same,i think it's possible if you have more luck than i and got the good rom.

17. lappinp

lappinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the ROM from 1.01 to 1.02

Paul

18. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link to the forum, its another source for information :). Im sure when I checked on the CX1 menu that the option was not changeable even though it was there. I have ROM 1.02 on the VPL-CX1 btw.

I just read another post and it seems that the menu's hide/stop you from changing some values depending on what input you are using SVIDEO or VGA. What input are you guys using as Im using VGA!. I doubt I can change it though on the projector although tbh its not useful to me at the moment but I like fiddling! :D

James

19. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have a VPL CS4 at work, great projector for the price.

I have got into the factory setting as described above.

The rom is 1.0 and I can't change OTHER/INSTALLATION settings, boho.

Does anyone out there have any idea how to upgrade the rom as I assume that it is probale the wrong rom to allow settings change.

20. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested on my CX1 yesterday and I saw also the settings but was unable to change them.
    My Bios is also 1.02 so it seems it is not the bios version.
    I wonder if it is the remote? I have read in other newsgroups about service remotes, would it be possible to test with a remote from the HS1 on the CX1 to see if it works then ?

Has anybody that chance here?

21. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today Nvidia has posted new drivers to their Geforce series that enables rotation and keystone correction!!

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_40.41

Here is some text from the site:

Up to a 25% increase in performance
    nView™ 2.0 multi-display technology increases productivity and provides the necessary tools to control the way users access and view applications.
    NVRotate™ enabling image rotation on today’s advanced flat panel displays.
    NVKeystone™ allows for real-time image correction on portable projectors and heads-up displays.
    Digital Vibrance Control™ allows users to adjust color controls to achieve accurate, bright colors under all conditions.
    New control panel streamlines user interface and enables faster and easier access to all video settings
    Robust Channels enables higher faster performance and better stability for all applications through fail-safe paths in the drivers
    CineFX Simulator allows developers to use Cg—“C for graphics”—to write complex shaders in a high level language faster and more easily than before.
    NVIDIA’s patented Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) – supports all products in a single driver binary

This means that I can now ceiling mount my Sony VPL CX1..

/Kurben

22. lappinp

lappinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kurben

Have you managed to get the Nvdia drivers to work. If so does mounting the CX1 upside down create any heat probems.

Paul

23. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Importat: If you already have geforce drivers installed you need to remove them before you install these new ones, otherwise you will not get access to the extra features. An error window will apear instead.

I have tried here at my work to get it working on a tnt card but I don't find the settings to rotate the screen, I will try on my HTPC with a geforce card when I come home instead.

I will post the results on monday.

If it works I will try to use the CX1 upside down for a while to see if it shows any problems with heat.

/Kurben

24. MUG3N

MUG3N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 40.41's are still beta and awaiting certification so it is up to you if you want to use them but problems may occur. Once official 40.41 (or renamed) are released having to uninstall older ones shouldnt be a problem...

25. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the CX1 upside down you may risk overheating the unit. Ive had the ability in the ATI drivers to flip/rotate the HTPC screen for 9months or so now, but having the CX1 upside down for a long period of time may cause heat problems?.

26. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried to ceiling mount your CX1? What happend with it? or did it just alarm that it was heating up?

I will put mine in a very well vetilated hushbox so I hope that i will not have any problem.

/Martin T

27. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant have my projector on the ceiling so I never tried it. I use a projector table mount about 24 feet from the screen which projects the image over the sofa.

I suppose there should be no harm to the projector if it is upside down but its something to bear in mind.

28. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I'm trying to invert the picture, but cannot appear to get into the the factory mode:-

Press enter, enter, left, enter. A message appears saying Enter factory menu Yes "up" No "down".

When I press Up the message clears but does not go into the menu.

Any Ideas?

29. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you now press menu you will see alot more options down the left hand side than you did before.

Kev

30. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Sony VPL CX1 ceiling mounted now but I have not rotated the picture in the projector. I am using a HTPC with an old Geforce 2MX card and the latest Nvidia drivers that have the roatate function.

I was a little bit worried about heat problems but it seems that it has no problems with it at all. I have had it mounted on the ceiling now for about 150 hours and I have never had a problem. I have plenty of air surrounding it so it will not overheat.

Next thing is to build a hushbox for it, I already have built one fo the HTPC and it is now completly silent.

When watching TV I use a ordinary capturecard and DSCALER instead of the s-video or composite inputs so I get the rotated picture as well when watching startrek...